[Rant] Over priced? What? Grisaia

Hayashi

I made this post originally on the steam community hub. What are you guy's views? Too expensive? Cheap? Alright?

I can already see multiple reviews calling this game over priced for it's length and missing 18+ content. It makes me wonder, do you guys even know how the VN industry in JP works? Or simply the fact that in order to profit prices for each VN must be relatively expensive.

Let's use Meikyuu as an example, or The Labyrinth of Grisaia however you guys want to call it.
I have the original Japanese version here. 
http://imgur.com/OtSUiBX
http://imgur.com/KLbZw4M 
9240YEN (88USD) with tax and 8800 (84USD) Without. According to current rates. 

It has to be this expensive due to high production cost in terms of CV costs, Art and BGM just to name a few. And how much are you guys getting the VN for around 40USD? 
(I can't see the exact price as I am not in the region.) 

And its the same case with Kajitsu.
http://imgur.com/4oTUhuT
http://imgur.com/oOmrCjE

So my point is, appreciate what you have now, I do not care if it's a full version with cut content or how the game is shorter compared to the original. You now have access to the English version, either read it because you are paying a really fair price. And stop complaining about how the price is ridiculous, its not. 

12 minutes ago, Kiso said:

So my point is, appreciate what you have now, I do not care if it's a full version with cut content or how the game is shorter compared to the original. You now have access to the English version, either read it because you are paying a really fair price. And stop complaining about how the price is ridiculous, its not. 

I agreed with you up until this last part. Complaining about cut content is a valid excuse especially if those people want the 18+ version.

Just now, bigfatround0 said:

I agreed with you up until this last part. Complaining about cut content is a valid excuse especially if those people want the 18+ version.

Well maybe, just maybe. The cut content = 40~ Dollars? Which still makes the game relatively cheap and fair in terms of price.

Just now, DharmaFreedom said:

Its 40usd? Its 17usd for me if i converted the price from my country's currency charged on steam.

I didn't know steam charged differently for differently locations.

Since I live in Hong Kong, it displays as 175 HKD after the reduction. Which is a huge gap compared to what I paid for the JP original, around 750HKD~

I am more against the fact that like Grisaia some other games were already translated but not licensed. Maybe the patch wasn't of perfect caliber, but nonetheless it took the same amount of work. You could say its to prevent piracy or quality drops, but aren't we playing for the fact we love vn's? Seems kind of greedy from localization companies :S (Not complaining from companies like mangagamer that translate untranslated vn's, they deserve what they charge):Keepo:

3 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Well, that doesn't lower production costs. It instead lowers the barrier of entry for those who aren't interested in voices, which increases chances of making a profit. I like the idea TBH, because I never listen to voices in a VN.

That's a bit odd. Voices help convey feelings and to set the mood. I need voices or else I get bored.

Just now, Rooke said:

Well, that doesn't lower production costs. It instead lowers the barrier of entry for those who aren't interested in voices, which increases chances of making a profit. I like the idea TBH, because I never listen to voices in a VN.

So you are talking about making VNs without voice acting from the start.
Well I can understand that from your position and many others in the west, if you don't understand what the characters are saying or maybe you do but just a few words/expressions here and there then it doesn't make much sense to have them, but remember that the main target of VNs is the Japanese market and voice acting is a big deal to them, it also speaks about the quality of a novel too, specially if they voice the main character (of course this is not a rule).
So while it sounds logical from the point of view of a western it's not realistic.

Just now, bigfatround0 said:

That's a bit odd. Voices help convey feelings and to set the mood. I need voices or else I get bored.

English speakers lose much of that anyway through language differences and as Fred The Barber (I think) already mentioned, not knowing which word or part of the sentence has been modified by the tone of voice (considering sentence structure has been changed.) Because of this, I find the little to moderate nuances I can pick up doesn't offset taking twice as long to read the VN (not as much time these days, and plenty of books to read.)

1 minute ago, Deep Blue said:

Well I can understand that from your position and many others in the west, if you don't understand what the characters are saying or maybe you do but just a few words/expressions here and there then it doesn't make much sense to have them, but remember that the main target of VNs is the Japanese market and voice acting is a big deal to them, it also speaks about the quality of a novel too, specially if they voice the main character (of course this is not a rule).
So while it sounds logical from the point of view of a western it's not realistic.

That's a big part of it. If you could understand the voices, it would mean more to you. 

9 minutes ago, Rooke said:

English speakers lose much of that anyway through language differences and as Fred The Barber (I think) already mentioned, not knowing which word or part of the sentence has been modified by the tone of voice (considering sentence structure has been changed.) Because of this, I find the little to moderate nuances I can pick up doesn't offset taking twice as long to read the VN (not as much time these days, and plenty of books to read.)

That's a big part of it. If you could understand the voices, it would mean more to you. 

I still don't think you need to understand a language to understand the emotions a voice conveys.

Well, enough about voice debate here (If you still want to discuss it, go ahead). But for my input here in regard of Rooke's solution, I remember Mangagamer did that in the past, when they decided to released Koihime Musou and Kara no Shoujo unvoiced. As for fan reaction, let's just said it was quite colorful from what I remember. Of course if Frontwing and Sekai decided to remove the voice here, I'm sure that they'll be more infamous and controversial. Fan, of course will be rant more if Sekai remove the voice and sold it with the beginning price (40, although right now it was around 15-16).

Okay, as for my comment in regard of price itself, I think at least it was quite fair since it was involved some of famous eroge seiyuu (Kawashima Rino and Taguchi Hiroko was 2 of them). And because involvement of famous eroge seiyuu, I could said that apparently this should be affected the production cost and licensing cost for Meikyuu itself. So, I think compared to Japanese price, 40 was quite alright I guess censored or not. And for complainer, why did you review Meikyuu at Steam in the first place anyway if you want to complain too expensive or lack of H Content (Steam was obviously not pirating site, and it was also had policy in regard of censoring sex scene), although obviously we still didn't had better place to review this other than Steam for now though. Just want to say it here.

2 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

I remember Mangagamer did that in the past, when they decided to released Koihime Musou and Kara no Shoujo unvoiced.

I'm still not convinced, that this wasn't just to boost sales.

But to stay on topic, I've bought Japanese Games and DVDs for over a hundred bucks.

30 Bucks is a ridiculously low price imo

34 minutes ago, Rooke said:

And that obviously worked out well for them when they tried it...

20 minutes ago, Chuee said:

And that obviously worked out well for them when they tried it...

That is true. They forgot to factor in the VN community's propensity toward silliness, which would manifest in the objection over an optional package. One that doesn't affect them in the slightest. 

I'm sure it's a lesson well learnt.

Value is relative.

This is a Steam gamer's perspective: "I can buy AAA budget games deep discounted for $10-20 1 year after release with 50-100hrs of gameplay, that cost much more to develop.  Why should I pay the same or more for a low-budget title of the same length or less?"

The answer: You pay a premium for niche content.  AAA games have a large budget but also a large customer base to disperse those costs over.  VNs are niche with a smaller customer base, and therefore they have to keep prices somewhat higher in order to recoup costs (as niche content also tends to have a more inelastic demand curve; as price decreases, sales volume doesn't increase quite as much).  But mainstream AAA games are limited in the types of content they can feature, as they must always have broad appeal.  Can't have hardcore ero in a mainstream title, for example.