English version of ChuSinGura 46+1 released on Steam... for free?

Decay

6 hours ago, Toranth said:

So, Chapters 2 and 3 have been released now, as DLC for the original Chapter 1 free game.  Just to make things complicated.

They're asking $18 base price, currently on sale for -30%, or $12.59.  That implies $36 for the entire thing, which is twice as much as the kickstarter price.

Kickstarter prices are rarely the baseline full price for a game.  That's expected. And it's $26 if they sell chapters 4&5 at the same price which is a fair price.

Though I still need to read the free chapter.  What's the consensus on the translation quality?

1 hour ago, Basileus777 said:

Kickstarter prices are rarely the baseline full price for a game.  That's expected. And it's $26 if they sell chapters 4&5 at the same price which is a fair price.

Though I still need to read the free chapter.  What's the consensus on the translation quality?

Kickstarter vs retail prices are all over the place - some higher, some lower.  Kickstarter $15 for the entire game vs Steam $36 for the entire game (base, no sale, price) is a bit more extreme than most.  Not as bad as Planetary Annihilation, of course.

I only played a little of the English translation, but it's pretty decent.  Better than most, but with a few mistakes.  I discovered that you can switch the game to Japanese text, though, and so I did so quickly and haven't looked back.

The odd bit is that the text and graphics are from the portable version, but the audio is from the original game, which sometimes leads to mismatches.

This is one of the very best visual novels i played and i played like over 200 already. it is like higurashi and its a very good one. gonna buy the chapters to support the devs even though i had the full japanese version + fandish.

just disapointed at the fact that they stated they will never do a 18+ patch ;(

I haven't seen anything definitive about chapters 2 and 3. What we were told beforehand was that the translator responsible for Chapter 1 did not do the main translation for any additional chapters, and he seemed to indicate that everyone else on the project were much worse.

Here's another cool tidbit: Remember this? It turns out that it was for ChuSinGura. Some people who have contacted them claim that they seemed poorly organized and didn't have a clue on what they were doing. They hired a whole lot of translators to translate this thing as fast as humanly possible. They seem to have hired someone decent for chapter 1, but failed to get anyone as good for the rest. It also seems that they failed to hire any editors or proofreaders, as became evident by the release state of Chapter 1.

I bought it - with the 30% price reduction it's actually pretty cheap. If they sell the final chapters for the same (reduced) price, it'll be just 25 € for the whole game. That's the same price like MangaGamer charges for their shorter nukiges like the Softhouse-Seal or Free Friends series. So the price is pretty fair. Don't really mind the missing H scenes here since the H-content seems to be rather low anyway. Hardly comparable to If my Heart had Wings which had more than half of its CG's cut out lol.

Though I don't really get it, first they create two ridiculous overpriced Kickstarters which failed for obvious reasons and now they sell it for dirt cheap on Steam. Why the heck didn't they just ask for a more reasonable price on Kickstarter? I think with a price tag < 100.000 € the project might have had realisic chances to succeed considering the good reputation of the title. But well, I don't have to understand everything... :vinty:

1 hour ago, Rooke said:

Can anybody else chime in on the TL quality of chapters 2 and 3? There's a rumour going around that it takes a dip.

If I wasn't broke as fudge right now, I'd buy them and compare the TL to the Japanese version. 

Keep in mind that people will often say TLs suck even without any knowledge of Japanese, simply because something like おはよう is translated to hello instead of good morning, so take rumors like that with a grain of salt depending on the source. (Not saying that is what happened here of course, but it has happened in the past, so you never know.)

One thing that is bothering me:

As for cutting sexual content and leaving the original game intact, you guys are aware that the alternative ending for ch. 3 is literally sexual content
if you cut that away there is no ending anymore

Can anyone who has chapter 3 check how this was handled? Apperantly chapter 3 literally ends with H content, so idk how they would manage to "fix" that for an all-ages version.

5 hours ago, Dergonu said:

One thing that is bothering me:

Can anyone who has chapter 3 check how this was handled? Apperantly chapter 3 literally ends with H content, so idk how they would manage to "fix" that for an all-ages version.

The 'alternate end' is exactly one scene, an H-scene,

Spoiler

and Suguha is killed immediately afterwards.  In this all-ages version, they skip the sex, and Suguha just gets killed.  It actually makes a bit more sense this way, as the H-scene was distinctly gratuitous... even if it was with Best Girl.

4 hours ago, WinterfuryZX said:

any censorship here?

Yes - originally, there was bare breasts in both cases.

If anything, I'd praise them for conducting censorship in this fashion.
Taking for granted that censorship will take place regardless, it's nice to see they're putting effort into redrawing CG's where necessary as opposed to picking up their favourite scissors and just cutting out everything inappropriate.

I don't get what's going on with this release. So many things done right, so many things done wrong...

1 hour ago, Tiagofvarela said:

If anything, I'd praise them for conducting censorship in this fashion.
Taking for granted that censorship will take place regardless, it's nice to see they're putting effort into redrawing CG's where necessary as opposed to picking up their favourite scissors and just cutting out everything inappropriate.

I don't get what's going on with this release. So many things done right, so many things done wrong...

Actually, in chapter 1 they did remove a CG completely instead of redrawing it. I believe the redrawn assets they are working with is from a portable console port, and not something done by them originally. 

(The CG in question has been posted somewhere in this thread early on, showing what was censored in chapter 1.)

5 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Actually, in chapter 1 they did remove a CG completely instead of redrawing it. I believe the redrawn assets they are working with is from a portable console port, and not something done by them originally. 

(The CG in question has been posted somewhere in this thread early on, showing what was censored in chapter 1.)

Which would then explain why they are porting the console port... I see now. That was wholly informative, thank you.

EDIT: That CG, huh? Doesn't seem particularly harder to censor than any others, so I don't see what the issue was... Considering the organisation and structure behind this, I wouldn't even be surprised if they simply forgot it existed.

6 minutes ago, Tiagofvarela said:

Which would then explain why they are porting the console port... I see now. That was wholly informative, thank you.

EDIT: That CG, huh? Doesn't seem particularly harder to censor than any others, so I don't see what the issue was... Considering the organisation and structure behind this, I wouldn't even be surprised if they simply forgot it existed.

Yeah I have no idea why they removed that one, but left in others. Either the console port didn't have it redrawn, so they didn't have an altered version to work with, or they just missed it completely. (If it's the latter - good job guys.) Does seem like they are too lazy to redraw the CGs themselves. 

Just now, Tiagofvarela said:

Does redrawing CG's during localisation have a precedent?
As far as I know, the closest we've been to that has been the porting of the console version as opposed to the 18+ one.

I'm not sure on the specifics around that to be honest. Maybe someone could ask the people behind this release about that?

Seems strange that they would leave out one CG completely but have others redrawn. 

Just now, Dergonu said:

I'm not sure on the specifics around that to be honest. Maybe someone could ask the people behind this release about that?

Seems strange that they would leave out one CG completely but have others redrawn. 

You misunderstand me; I was asking if you know of any other localisation project where redrawing has taken place on the behalf of the localisation company.

I'll admit that I'm curious whether sheer incompetence of the localisers or external factors connected to the developer of the console version are to blame for the missing CG.

1 minute ago, Tiagofvarela said:

You misunderstand me; I was asking if you know of any other localisation project where redrawing has taken place on the behalf of the localisation company.

I'll admit that I'm curious whether sheer incompetence of the localisers or external factors connected to the developer of the console version are to blame for the missing CG.

KonoSora, right?  I know for sure that they redrew some CGs because there was no all-ages version until the English one was released.

2 minutes ago, Tiagofvarela said:

Ohh right, my bad. 

Yes, Kono Oozora did that, like Zeno said. Don't know of any others though. 

3 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

KonoSora, right?  I know for sure that they redrew some CGs because there was no all-ages version until the English one was released.

Uwaa--

Wonderful precedent that sets...

39 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Does seem like they are too lazy to redraw the CGs themselves. 

Either way, this basically means that, for the moment, redrawing CG's is not expected from localisation companies. Calling them [the ones in charge of ChuSingura] lazy on those grounds is not exactly fair.
You may freely call them lazy for just about any other reason, though.

15 minutes ago, Tiagofvarela said:

Either way, this basically means that, for the moment, redrawing CG's is not expected from localisation companies. Calling them [the ones in charge of ChuSingura] lazy on those grounds is not exactly fair.
You may freely call them lazy for just about any other reason, though.

Yeah that is very true. I basically just assumed they would have all the rights to do what they wanted since they are localizing it, but that obviously isn't necessarily true. There is also the chance of funds being an issue. I have no idea what it would cost to do that. 

Still though, I am curious about the one CG that was left out. What happened there? 

1 minute ago, Tiagofvarela said:

Uwaa--

Wonderful precedent that sets...

Hehehe.  Never go full Moenovel.

I don't think that redrawing CGs is that common for western releases (barring Nutaku, because they're shit), at least that I've seen so far.  It's apparently less controversial to remove the objectionable CGs entirely and replace them with new, all-ages ones.  I doubt that many want to follow in Moenovel's footsteps, considering the ridicule that they get anywhere that isn't on Steam.

I know Degica had a few pics redrawn in Eternal Destiny, but they later capitulated and put the original artwork back in.  Not really a VN, though.