Is there a personality, physical or other trait common among most of your favorite/best girl in VNs?

12 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

In a word: competent. Spare me the moe clumsiness.

• KonoSora's Ageha
  • Symphonic Rain's Torta
  • To Heart 2's Tama-nee
  • Rewrite's Kotori

I like the girls who have their shit together on basically all levels.

But I know that can't be all of it, because I'd probably put Sachi near the bottom of the Grisaia list, certainly below Michiru, and I can't think of a better illustration of competent vs. incompetent than Sachi vs. Michiru.

Attraction is a mysterious thing.

That's an interesting trait to point out.

There are strong/competent females out there (in the action and mind game department) but you seem to prefer more 'normal'/realistic girls who are just complete packages, know everything about what's around them and just have general good mental strength over typical anime badass. They also seem to not be characterized by one or two particular personality traits like many characters.

Do I have the right idea?

8 hours ago, NowItsAngeTime said:

That's an interesting trait to point out.

There are strong/competent females out there (in the action and mind game department) but you seem to prefer more 'normal'/realistic girls who are just complete packages, know everything about what's around them and just have general good mental strength over typical anime badass. They also seem to not be characterized by one or two particular personality traits like many characters.

Do I have the right idea?

Yeah, I think that's a pretty accurate description, though I'm not sure that mental strength or, say, strength of will, has quite the right nuance. Makes me think of someone who tries really hard, fails a lot, but doesn't give up and keeps going - while a noble trait in its own right, that's not really what I have in mind. I'd rather see someone who just straight-up gets things done. Reliability and responsibility are probably two more good keywords, and to toss out another example, I'm also a big fan of F/SN's Tohsaka Rin, who I think also meets these criteria pretty well (also: the thigh-highs are giving her at least a +1).

You hit the nail on the head for why I don't use the word "strong". I was recently at a convention where someone presented a panel called "More Than Just Strong Female Characters", trying to explain to a whole bunch of otaku that kicking ass while looking sexy isn't really what the coiner of the term "strong female character" had in mind, nor was it what they wanted to talk about, and I was nodding along emphatically the whole time.  The panelist was basically talking about their desire to see realistically-portrayed women as genuine heroes of their own stories (and anybody who sees this and seriously thinks "SJW", fite me IRL; people can want to see what they want to see), and they were describing a lot of shows that had provided that and which they thought might be of interest to others. Basically, nirvana, for me; I go out of my way to look for that kind of female character because they're typically the ones I find most appealing, personality-wise.

Anyway, I tend to use the word "competent" to avoid that particular misunderstanding.

5 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Yeah, I think that's a pretty accurate description, though I'm not sure that mental strength or, say, strength of will, has quite the right nuance. Makes me think of someone who tries really hard, fails a lot, but doesn't give up and keeps going - while a noble trait in its own right, that's not really what I have in mind. I'd rather see someone who just straight-up gets things done. Reliability and responsibility are probably two more good keywords, and to toss out another example, I'm also a big fan of F/SN's Tohsaka Rin, who I think also meets these criteria pretty well (also: the thigh-highs are giving her at least a +1).

You hit the nail on the head for why I don't use the word "strong". I was recently at a convention where someone presented a panel called "More Than Just Strong Female Characters", trying to explain to a whole bunch of otaku that kicking ass while looking sexy isn't really what the coiner of the term "strong female character" had in mind, nor was it what they wanted to talk about, and I was nodding along emphatically the whole time.  The panelist was basically talking about their desire to see realistically-portrayed women as genuine heroes of their own stories (and anybody who sees this and seriously thinks "SJW", fite me IRL; people can want to see what they want to see), and they were describing a lot of shows that had provided that and which they thought might be of interest to others. Basically, nirvana, for me; I go out of my way to look for that kind of female character because they're typically the ones I find most appealing, personality-wise.

Anyway, I tend to use the word "competent" to avoid that particular misunderstanding.

So basically you just like someone whos legit just good and knowledgable at what they're doing which doesnt necessarily mean super powerful ultra badass. So basically competent in your eyes means knowing what to do to get the job and doing it but at the expense of having a typical/generic/boring personality (aka the super stoics, the insecure tsunderes, etc)

I dont think your description was particularly SJW, more well rounded competent characters of both genders would be nice (though I still get amused by some anime/VN stereotypes of course). 

19 hours ago, Valmore said:

I'm a sucker for the childhood friend and will inevitably want her to win in the end. Which explains why I am the only person in existence who thinks this girl's route is the best in PE:

Reveal hidden contents

Sagisawa.Chiho.full.1396592.jpg

Same thing with Clannad:

Reveal hidden contents

6d85ecc35ea8afc1547a22140419339d.jpg

Etc.

A7qn7Oa.jpg

I am also love childhood friends, except Airhead-Deredere with ultimate cooking skill. Hell, Tomboy/Coodere childhood friend is the best <3

Ew. Why do so many people like Tsundere? Do you really want a cunt as a girlfriend irl?

Visual novel/anime speaking: I like them older and badass. long hair, tits don't matter that much but obviously prefer them big.

perfect example is momoyo. fucking beast.

On 22/06/2016 at 10:07 AM, iamnoob said:

LOLIS 

You may as well have not bothered with the strikethrough :wahaha:

For me, it seems purple hair is a winner. Personality doesn't seem to have a huge bearing, so long as they're not tsundere to the point it hurts, or a complete airhead. An airheaded tsundere is the worst.

Spoiler

In short, until she turns into her fucking weird alter ego self Michiru from Grisaia is basically my worst nightmare.

Kuudere is nice, I suppose. Let's go with that.

EDIT: Childhood friend is nice too... as long as they don't do the whole obnoxious tae fuck megatsun thing.

Traits I like:

- Stoic/Kuudere/Dandere

- Comically Serious

- Tease/Sexually Aggressive

- Yandere/Crazy/Psycho/ect.

- Nekomimi/Monstergirls/ect.

- Honorable Mentions: Shy, Deredere, and Tomboy

Generally speaking, it's the Silver/White hair, (Gothic Lolitas with) black hair, and sometimes blue haired girls.