Favorite BGM/soundtrack of a Visual Novel

Exult

• 2 weeks later...

I love the music in Ef: A Fairy Tale of the Two. I'm not really sure how to describe it. It feels peaceful but also filled with a underlying sadness or longing. Regardless, I really couldn't imagine it without the music. (Tenmon who did most of music, also worked with Makoto Shinkai on many of his films and The Place Promised in our Early Days and 5 Centimeters Per Second and have excellent soundtracks too.)

27 minutes ago, ciel_yuri said:

I love the music in Ef: A Fairy Tale of the Two. I'm not really sure how to describe it. It feels peaceful but also filled with a underlying sadness or longing. Regardless, I really couldn't imagine it without the music. (Tenmon who did most of music, also worked with Makoto Shinkai on many of his films and The Place Promised in our Early Days and 5 Centimeters Per Second and have excellent soundtracks too.)

I'm a simple man. Someone praises ef or ef's soundtrack, I like. 

Because we have Sanoba release, I figure that it would be better if I post all of the heroines image songs here. Enjoy.

Nene

Touko

Meguru

Tsumugi

As for my comment for the songs, well all of those are quite good. Unfortunately I couldn't comment on the composition considering that I'm more or less wasn't study music much, but at least I could say that Touko's song was sounding quite mysterious, Meguru was more homely, Nene's was more like reach for your dream sounding, and Tsumugi was simply quite cute.

Edited by littleshogun

Seeing that we got Marika's route translated, it would be appropriate if we celebrated it to listen the songs that was available in her routes. Here's 'To Your Town' below:

And here's 'Song of Love' which also served as Marika's ending song below.

What I can say is that I find Marika's song here is quit simple and good, especially her ending song. Other than that, Hoshiori here is indeed improved if we look from the ending songs alone because each route did have two songs so there'll be 13 vocal songs for Hoshiori (Including the opening song) as opposed to HatsuKoi 10 songs, although in exchange Hoshiori here only have 7 singers (Including the opening singer) though because one singer here did assigned to each of heroines songs and in Marika's case Sasaki Sayaka is the one who sang Marika's song.

Edited by littleshogun

• 3 weeks later...

This ost, "Coming Back Alive".

Spoiler

Just hearing it at the end, when you've fought your way through countless bad ends, standing there with all the characters as they shouted in victory, cheering, celebrating being alive, having saved Shibuya.

Ah... the satisfaction that comes with it. Your hard work paid off, and you're there feeling that relief and bliss with the others, thinking, "This is a wonderful city indeed, filled with wonderful people."

Honestly, 428 Shibuya Scramble really impressed me with its high production. Aside from its live action sequences, action-packed storylines, engaging gameplay, and tearjerking emotions, the music is really something else too. One of my favorite osts that's more on the sorrowful side is this, titled "Hope":

This was played at the end of Osawa's route. I cried like a baby without shame. Osawa's wife seemed like your typical noisy and uptight housewife, but of course, like Kano (and pretty much 80% of the characters in this story), there's much more depth to her, and the ending to Osawa's route portrays this beautifully. You feel her pain, but you also feel Osawa's remorse over his life and the decisions he's made. The music really made the whole scene feel larger than life, like all the chess pieces are coming together in a grand finale. All the tears and emotions reach a grand crescendo as the story comes to an end. Ah... truly wonderful.

Honorable mention to "Echo":

The electric guitar riffing sounds really nice with that feel of melancholy, but it's a different kind of sorrow from your typical sad violin tune. Feels grittier, more grounded.

Edited by LemiusK

Gonna add this to my favorites, "Deadlock", partially because of how it was used in the first episode of the anime:

This next one as well, "Soles of My Shoes":

I remember this one quite fondly because of Michiru's Bad End in Kajitsu... Sniffle.

And of course... "Want to Smile...":

Can't smile. Can't smile! Ahhh... sad songs are the best.

Sigh. Guess it's no surprise that these popular VNs are popular because they have quality in most, if not all of their aspects. You can find VNs with a really good story, but the soundtrack's kinda mediocre (Ever17 has one or two sad songs I like, but ultimately falls into this category). Those that excel above and beyond the average product becomes worldwide sensations easily, like our precious Grisaia here, or like Fate/Stay Night, or like Steins;Gate.

On 11/21/2018 at 12:50 PM, Thyndd said:

Well, MLA has a lot of iconic songs. My personal favorites are these two:

And itlooks like it's spin-offs also have pretty... curious soundtracks for VNs. This one kind of reminds me of a certain melody from Star Wars.

Ugh. I wonder when ixtl finally gets to localizing their other works. It feels like the whole progress froze after their divorce with Degica.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to post Misa's songs from Hoshiori here, because we finally got Misa's patch. The first song of hers is 'Sailing', in which it sort of functioning as Misa's first ending song too (ie Misa's school arc ending). Enjoy.

What I can say is that 'Sailing' here is quite unique, because out of six first heroines songs only Misa's first song that did served as credit song that rolled when Misa's school arc ended and only Misa's route that did have school arc ending credit (A short one though). Although perhaps it'll be more fitting though, because it's telling of how Misa's will sailing to her dream in which it'll be elaborated in her after story. Speaking of after story, here's her second ending song 'Set Course to Future' below in which it's also serve as Misa's after story ending credit song and her overall ending song below:

As for the singer for both of first and second Misa's endings song it's the same person as well just like Marika's, and in this case the singer is Rino aka CooRie who's been responsible for composing several soundtrack and also more well known for sang Da Capo franchise vocal songs.

Edited by littleshogun

Everything made by Key has had an incredible soundtrack, and I think they are some of the best in the medium. I'm also a huge fan of the Euphoria soundtrack, and another one of my favorites is the IMHHW soundtrack. I'd say my all time favorite is Clannad though. I associate so many emotional moments with those tracks, and it's one of my favorite soundtracks ever across any medium. It's not Hans Zimmer, but it's still fantastic.

Edited by ratboi

I know it isn't a very wise idea to listen to a sequel's ending before I even finished its prequel, but I kind of became addicted to the ending song of Seinarukana. :vinty:

A bit NSFW, so I'll put it into spoiler. Also, it may contain spoilers, I guess, but you'll probably won't notice them if you, like me, don't even have any idea about who these characters even are. :makina: 

Spoiler

Here's both of Rikka's song now that we have her patch released back at 24th as surprise Christmas gift below. Enjoy.

A Fragment of Emotion

To My Precious One

For more trivia, it's interesting that unlike previous two routes songs actually those two songs here is also serve the plot as well.

The first song was the song that was composed by Rikka's mom (Obviously in-story) and that Rikka's goal was to play the song perfectly along with Meguru (Rikka's little sister) who is far more talented compared to Rikka, while the second song is also served as Rikka's ending song and it composed by Rikka herself who want to say thanks to her friends (Especially Ryousuke). As for my opinion, while the song was not quite ear worm to me at least it did have the role to the story unlike other routes songs which make sense if we know that Rikka's route here did have music as her dream.

As for the singer of those two songs her name is Mizutani Runa aka Luna who sang Rewrite 1st opening (Philosophyz) and some of the ending songs, and also she's sang Karakara opening song as well.

Edited by littleshogun