Exult

Favorite BGM/soundtrack of a Visual Novel

I don't know if it's already being posted here or not, but since we have a sudden release of Baldr Force might as well celebrating it by posing the full opening of this by KOTOKO here. Enjoy.

Also while I'm at Baldr Force subject here, might as well post the OST from there and the title itself is quite spoilerific, so I'll post it in the spoiler box.

Edited by littleshogun

Hmmm. This reminds me, I actually still need to finish this VN. I played it back in 2014 when it was only partially translated, and after that it was just kind of laying in the depths of my backlog... And I will have to start it from the very beginning, because it's been a bit too long, and I'm now even sure if I remember all the characters.

1 hour ago, Dreamysyu said:

Hmmm. This reminds me, I actually still need to finish this VN. I played it back in 2014 when it was only partially translated, and after that it was just kind of laying in the depths of my backlog... And I will have to start it from the very beginning, because it's been a bit too long, and I'm now even sure if I remember all the characters.

Your post reminded me of this song. Probably my favorite from series

I love the music in Ef: A Fairy Tale of the Two. I'm not really sure how to describe it. It feels peaceful but also filled with a underlying sadness or longing. Regardless, I really couldn't imagine it without the music. (Tenmon who did most of music, also worked with Makoto Shinkai on many of his films and The Place Promised in our Early Days and 5 Centimeters Per Second and have excellent soundtracks too.)

27 minutes ago, ciel_yuri said:

I love the music in Ef: A Fairy Tale of the Two. I'm not really sure how to describe it. It feels peaceful but also filled with a underlying sadness or longing. Regardless, I really couldn't imagine it without the music. (Tenmon who did most of music, also worked with Makoto Shinkai on many of his films and The Place Promised in our Early Days and 5 Centimeters Per Second and have excellent soundtracks too.)

I'm a simple man. Someone praises ef or ef's soundtrack, I like. 

On 18/09/2018 at 10:10 PM, Sparteh said:

After I finished legendary super kamige Muramasa, I just have to share these. Some videos might contain spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoilers are fine as we wont ever get this one translated. Not kawaii enough i guess :(

Because we have Sanoba release, I figure that it would be better if I post all of the heroines image song here in list instead of separated video. Enjoy.

As for my comment for the song, well all of those are quite good. Unfortunately I couldn't comment on the composition considering that I'm more or less wasn't study music much, but at least I could say that Touko's song was sounding quite mysterious, Meguru was more homely, Nene's was more like reach for your dream sounding, and Tsumugi was simply quite cute.

Edited by littleshogun

Seeing that we got Marika's route translated, it would be appropriate if we celebrated it to listen the songs that was available in her routes. Here's 'To Your Town' below:

And here's 'Song of Love' which also served as Marika's ending song below.

What I can say is that I find Marika's song here is quit simple and good, especially her ending song. Other than that, Hoshiori here is indeed improved if we look from the ending songs alone because each route did have two songs so there'll be 13 vocal songs for Hoshiori (Including the opening song) as opposed to HatsuKoi 10 songs, although in exchange Hoshiori here only have 7 singers (Including the opening singer) though because one singer here did assigned to each of heroines songs and in Marika's case Sasaki Sayaka is the one who sang Marika's song.

Edited by littleshogun

This ost, "Coming Back Alive".

Spoiler

Just hearing it at the end, when you've fought your way through countless bad ends, standing there with all the characters as they shouted in victory, cheering, celebrating being alive, having saved Shibuya.

Ah... the satisfaction that comes with it. Your hard work paid off, and you're there feeling that relief and bliss with the others, thinking, "This is a wonderful city indeed, filled with wonderful people."

Honestly, 428 Shibuya Scramble really impressed me with its high production. Aside from its live action sequences, action-packed storylines, engaging gameplay, and tearjerking emotions, the music is really something else too. One of my favorite osts that's more on the sorrowful side is this, titled "Hope":

This was played at the end of Osawa's route. I cried like a baby without shame. Osawa's wife seemed like your typical noisy and uptight housewife, but of course, like Kano (and pretty much 80% of the characters in this story), there's much more depth to her, and the ending to Osawa's route portrays this beautifully. You feel her pain, but you also feel Osawa's remorse over his life and the decisions he's made. The music really made the whole scene feel larger than life, like all the chess pieces are coming together in a grand finale. All the tears and emotions reach a grand crescendo as the story comes to an end. Ah... truly wonderful.

Honorable mention to "Echo":

The electric guitar riffing sounds really nice with that feel of melancholy, but it's a different kind of sorrow from your typical sad violin tune. Feels grittier, more grounded.

Edited by LemiusK

Gonna add this to my favorites, "Deadlock", partially because of how it was used in the first episode of the anime:

This next one as well, "Soles of My Shoes":

I remember this one quite fondly because of Michiru's Bad End in Kajitsu... Sniffle.

And of course... "Want to Smile...":

Can't smile. Can't smile! Ahhh... sad songs are the best.

Sigh. Guess it's no surprise that these popular VNs are popular because they have quality in most, if not all of their aspects. You can find VNs with a really good story, but the soundtrack's kinda mediocre (Ever17 has one or two sad songs I like, but ultimately falls into this category). Those that excel above and beyond the average product becomes worldwide sensations easily, like our precious Grisaia here, or like Fate/Stay Night, or like Steins;Gate.

On 11/21/2018 at 12:50 PM, Thyndd said:

Well, MLA has a lot of iconic songs. My personal favorites are these two:

And itlooks like it's spin-offs also have pretty... curious soundtracks for VNs. This one kind of reminds me of a certain melody from Star Wars.

Ugh. I wonder when ixtl finally gets to localizing their other works. It feels like the whole progress froze after their divorce with Degica.