Favorite BGM/soundtrack of a Visual Novel

Exult

Having grown in a musical environment , I always make a huge deal of the soundtracks of everything that I play or watch.  Sometimes its almost a deal-braker for me, so I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing lol. Anyway, I've played only 6 VNs so far, but here are some memorable moments for me.

I really love jazz(watched Sakamichi no Apollon just for the sake of it), finding a good piece in a VN was a pleasant surprise, the piano bits at the end are cool, the sax melody is chilling and the bass solo part is awesome. Also, Katawa Shoujo was my entry to this genre, so it holds a dear place in my hearth even though I've played it years ago.

Classical is the only genre that i love more than jazz. This one is based on a piece known as Revolurionary Etude by Chopin (which is meant to butcher your left hand every time you try to play it). Its by far my favorite etude and I was blown away when I recognized the melody that started at 1:03. What a pleasant surprise. There are many tracks from this VN that I like alot (even the ones that weren't based on classical music) but i will just leave this one here. This also was the VN that got me back into these kind of games.

Ah the Kasabuta/Scab. I still can't figure out why I like this music so much, and this is a rare ocurrence. I did not like Grisaia very much (which made me play only one route of the first game, i will eventually come back to it tho), even so, this song in conjunction to "that" part of the story is an almost perfect match. It's a little unsettling, while being a bit chill at the same time(???). Some ppl said that they got bored of it pretty quickly. As for myself, I used to halt the reading for a few seconds just to hear this melody one more time. That subtle slapping bass that tells that the song is about to start gets me every time.

Also thanks for whoever revived this discussion, I could easily decide to play a VN that the description didn't appeal me, after hearing a good bgm. Just added Fata Morgana to my eventual reads. Could talk about music all day.

Edited by Nusselt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/10/2017 at 4:16 AM, littleshogun said:

Here's Mamatoto's Running to The Straight since I recently play that. Enjoy.

PS - It's a shame though that Alicesoft didn't use this BGM as Mamatoto's final boss theme considering it was fitting enough imo, and most importantly the remix of this was Rance IX final boss theme.

I do indeed find this to be better than the main theme...

----

When the hell does this play?!
Well, I love it regardless.

5 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

When the hell does this play?!
Well, I love it regardless.

As for when it was played, it was at the earliest when Subaru's hand was slashed by Itou. After that, I think it was played when the main characters was in desperate situation or something like that.

Edited by littleshogun

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CLANNAD's ost ...... is godtier (especially for scoring critical hit to the feels)

Spoiler

Cutest character theme ever xD

Rather epic sad theme

Song for finding inner strength, or something

Piano pieces man....

This song hits me like a truck! If a scene is even remotely emotional, and this song plays, I'm in tears...

This is downright epic. Song for traveling across the country...

• 1 month later...

Time for me to post some more of my favs from VN's I've recently played.....

D.S Dal Segno

Spoiler

Pretty chill title theme. Almost as good as Katawa Shoujo's title theme....

Gotta love the "daughter of darkness". Fitting theme for the goth loli...

Noeri is still in my top4 for cutest heroines ever (and yes that is a panty shot in that youtube picture).

Seriously, I wish Yamato was my friend in real life! He's just ..... cool dude.

Symphonic Rain

Spoiler

This VN has a lot of piano pieces...

This VN also has quite a few music box pieces...

Few music tracks inspire a deep, foreboding dread, like this track does. It's second only to Grisaia's Kasabuta in fact....

Fitting theme for the main heroine of the game. And in retrospect, the title of the song is fitting too...

Double Post. But I've actually found some youtube uploads for the rest of the Grisaia trilogy, so I'll post some here...

Grisaia no Meikyuu

Spoiler

Quite chill and homey...

Pretty damn chilling piece.

Nice piano piece...

Coming to terms, or something like that...

Grisaia no Rakuen

Spoiler

Acknowledging your feelings....

Epic fight music!

When things go, VERY tragically wrong, on a large scale. Song is aptly named....

..... and this is the song that plays when pretty much EVERYONE around you is dead....

There are too many good songs to be able to list all of them, so I'll just a pair of really good ones. 

I really like this one. It kind of blends a sense of whimsy, with a sense of repetition but yet also maintains a quiet elegance. I think it fits very well for where it is used. I especially like from 2:38 or thereabouts where it kind of builds up but yet doesn't lose sight of what came before. 

Another one I really like is this one: 

I've become a big fan of slice of life segments and songs (in VNs) and I really liked several of the ones in Fate/Stay Night. Of these I think this is my favorite - it's really soothing and calming, and I find it gives a nice respite from some of the messier parts of FS/N. It makes me think of him just sitting and talking with Saber, or perhaps even cooking, and (again) those were segments I enjoyed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow this is tough. Everyone else seems to be linking multiple so I guess I will too;

This one feels obvious to me. It was the first song in a VN that really made me really emotional, I guess it helped that I found the novel amazing too. If I were forced to pick this would be my number one.

Umineko holds some true masterpieces in its musical collection in my opinion, in fact in hindsight some of my favourite songs came from the music played in that game. This one and the one for going with the other ending though were just top notch, this one in particular I feel is something that goes way beyond what you would expect a normal VN would have, but I guess it is Umineko so I it does not really qualify as a "normal" VN.

This song was one of, if not the best intro song for a VN I have heard, for me it is a clear top runner among my favourites.

Edited by Weiterfechten

Himawari

Spoiler

Never has a BGM captured the essence, of absolute loneliness and sadness before. A type you could only find in outer space...

Typical slice of life piece. That sounds rather tropical for some reason.

Staring up at the night sky....

Time for some kickass action!