Some question/problem related to Aselia the Eternal -The Spirit of Eternity Sword-

ffleader1

1) A few months ago, JAST released Aselia the Eternal -The Spirit of Eternity Sword- on Steam. They said that there is a possibility of a 18+ patch, and I have been waiting for that. However, now, they said that there will be no content-restoration patch for that game, because:

• Their translator refused to work with the material, due to it involved loli or something.
  • They didn't find the game is actually worth the effort that they are putting into; and frankly, I understand. The Aselia Steam version is selling not very well, I believe, as it's a 13 year-old game. The game has RPG element, so they have to put more effort in it for a product that would eventually sell less.

So how come there has been no fan-patch for Aselia, the full version. I checked VNDB, and it seemed both popular and well-ranked.
Also, if anyone has played Aselia Steam version, can you please enlighten me: how much content was cut out pls? 

2) Is it possible (make sense) to play the sequel, Seinarukana, without playing Aselia. I just don't want to play an incomplete product. I  get it that it's not JAST fault, but I don't want to play it either, yet I want to support them with the sequel.
P/S: I am new, probably not to the forum, but  at least quite new to comment/posting. My signature is too spread some words about my favorite campaign as well, but what I've just asked is serious.

Let me try answer your question here.

For Aselia, actually JAST and Steam version was come from fan translated version. For a little history lesson, according to VNDB it was already translated back at 2010 and from there they decided to work together with JAST in order to get it officially released. And the rest is history. In regard of the reason why they translated all age version, I believed it's more likely in regard of the all age version that they translated was had more polished interface and had new content compared to 18+ version before instead of loli issues (Actually, the Steam version was PS2 to PC port of Eien no Aselia, while Xuse was just managed to add PS2 port version the H-Scenes after the translation was finished). As what you missed in all age version, it was some H-Scenes and the evil route when MC was raping all of the spirit. Other than that, maybe sanahtlig here could explain more.

I think it was very possible if you play Seinarukana without playing Aselia first, and in fact if you didn't had enough time might as well did that. Although if you played Aselia you may realized some connection in regard of one character at Seinarukana though (Once again if you really want to support Seinarukana, just support it and I think there's enough spoiler if you search enough on internet regarding the connection between Aselia and Seinarukana).

Hope my answer here was helpful to you.

9 hours ago, ffleader1 said:

1) A few months ago, JAST released Aselia the Eternal -The Spirit of Eternity Sword- on Steam. They said that there is a possibility of a 18+ patch, and I have been waiting for that. However, now, they said that there will be no content-restoration patch for that game, because:

• Their translator refused to work with the material, due to it involved loli or something.
  • They didn't find the game is actually worth the effort that they are putting into; and frankly, I understand. The Aselia Steam version is selling not very well, I believe, as it's a 13 year-old game. The game has RPG element, so they have to put more effort in it for a product that would eventually sell less.

Source?  I wasn't aware of any followup statement by JAST, and this is an issue I've approached them about recently.

Regarding cut content in Aselia the Eternal:

The all-ages release has important adult scenes, context, and adult humor edited out.  The all-ages version doesn't explain why Desire tries to manipulate Yuuto.  The adult version does.  The adult version has traumatic events important to the story featured intact.  The all-ages version replaces them.  The adult version has conversations that reference the sex scenes.  The all-ages version has these references removed.

Full post

Connections between Seinarukana and Aselia the Eternal:
Seinarukana technically takes places in the same universe as Aselia the Eternal, not too long after the events of Aselia the Eternal.  However, Seinarukana takes place in the Time Tree, which can be thought of as a self-contained pocket dimension in that universe which is difficult to enter and impossible to leave.  One of the minor characters that later joins your party (Euphoria) is connected to Aselia's route in Aselia the Eternal; she's one of the characters that manages to enter into this pocket dimension.  She has amnesia however so you don't get much of a sense of connectedness.  Even the lore between the two games is only loosely connected because the Time Tree is self-contained with its own natural laws that govern it.  The lore connections that do emerge only did so in the epilogue (I've played Satsuki's route so far).

Trying to get consistent sales with a thirteen year old title being released to a "now" market was already a massive enough stretch as it was trying to step into a market which has much higher definition visuals without much else going for it. You also then have to consider the majority of people who wanted to play 永遠のアセリア-The Spirit of Eternity Sword- would have played it back when the fan translation was released back in April, 2010. Sure, I quite thoroughly enjoyed playing Eien back then as it was my first purchased copy of a Japanese visual novel but whether I would consider purchasing the JAST released version after such a long period of time would result in me giving a flat, "No, I'm fine thanks."

I must be one of the rare people who were thankful that there was no adult content available in the translated version since I could easily recommend it to friends who just wanted to start out with visual novels without forcing H content down their throats.