Kono Oozora H-Scenes Porting Project

RusAnon

Those who want gallery and stuff working are encouraged to use this patch instead. It is likely not 100% bugfree as I don't have resources to test all of it, but still must be much better. It also does not require locale change. The patch is for Japanese version though, so get that one. You can just Shift+Del that moenovel version if you got Japanese one working.
The minimum required resolution is indeed 1280x720. It will not work with anything less.

• 2 weeks later...

So, this is a complete re-translation of the original japanese version, right? I have read some pages of this forum, but it seems rather confusing, since they date from 2 years ago.

Does that also mean we will finnaly have the "Sweet Love" scenes translated?

Also, on an unrelated note, anyone knows any news about the fandiscs? i have read that MoeNovel (unfortunately) has shown interest in translating them due to the success of "If My Heart Had Wings" on Steam.

There is also that "Cruise Sign" version thats getting released for playstation, anyone knows whats that about? Is it a new game or just Main Game + fandiscs bundled together?

@Novel21

No, no, no - this patch will NOT work with Steam version. It will be only for the JP version and MoeNovel's non-Steam release.

@Br4zil

Yes, it's a complete re-translation. Initially, I was planning to translate "Sweet Love" as well, but after working on this for soooo long, I don't quite feel like it anymore. I'm not even sure if I will have enough motivation to finish the remaining routes. Too much slice-of-life is bad for my health. :/

As for fandisks, someone was working on them. Hopefully they will get fan-translated, not MoeNovel-butchered.

"Cruise Sign" is just a console port, nothing else. It won't have H-scenes and might have some additional scenes instead to make up for it. I'm not sure if they will include Ageha's route though, since it's plot pretty much requires sex to work. We'll see once it's released.

@Novel21

No, no, no - this patch will NOT work with Steam version. It will be only for the JP version and MoeNovel's non-Steam release.

@Br4zil

Yes, it's a complete re-translation. Initially, I was planning to translate "Sweet Love" as well, but after working on this for soooo long, I don't quite feel like it anymore. I'm not even sure if I will have enough motivation to finish the remaining routes. Too much slice-of-life is bad for my health. :/

As for fandisks, someone was working on them. Hopefully they will get fan-translated, not MoeNovel-butchered.

"Cruise Sign" is just a console port, nothing else. It won't have H-scenes and might have some additional scenes instead to make up for it. I'm not sure if they will include Ageha's route though, since it's plot pretty much requires sex to work. We'll see once it's released.

Aye, as others said, i hope you have enough motivation to finish it! If you need proof-readers, i would love to help you out (altho english isnt my primary language, so i dont actually have formal education on it).

Sad to hear Sweet Love will remain japanese-only, but i guess thats expected, from what i have gathered H-Scenes are really annoying to translate, it seems :P

Also, about Cruise Sign: http://forums.mangagamer.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=278&p=8665&hilit=Cruise+Sign#p8665

"Obviously I can't say for sure if the scenarios they rewrote for If My Heart Had Wings are going to be used in the console release. But from what I saw on the website, it looks like there will also be an all-ages version of the sequel Flight Diary. Whether it will be included as part of Cruise Sign or sold separately I don't know. It also seems Akari Kumoi will be getting her own arc. In addition, there's a preorder bonus product code: an additional scenario for Hotaru and Kanako in the PS3 version, and for the PS Vita version an additional scenario for Kotori and Ageha."

So it seems its not just a straight port, as Akari will get her own route, along with some new scenarios.

Considering i always wanted a Akari route in the original, i really hope Cruise Sign gets ported to PC eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... even if you say that, the true is that this patch would still work on the Steam version anyway, I mean, it is true that achievements wouldn't work, but that's fine I guess. I think people just want to be able to play it on Steam (since they bought it) and record their played time I guess, trading cards are still collectable and they can do their badges if they want to anyway.  :sleep:

Some months ago I posted here my result when applying this patch to my Steam version of the VN and I said I wasn't successful.
Well, I finally managed to getting it to work, just like the other hundreds of Steam players that did the same.  :P
I'm using this patch + Sweet Love and using NTLEA to emulate Japanese locale and I already completed Kotori's Route with no problems at all. It's everything working smooth. :)

Do you guys know how many lines has Sweet Love?
I mean, I still didn't try it, but it is said that it is just some extra-scenes to each route. So I was wondering how many lines it has to be translated.  :unsure:

And lastly...
there are no plans for you guys to translate FLIGHT DIARY and Snow Presents right? I know there are some guys working on it but their team is very tiny, it would take some time for it to be finished.
Anyway, Moenovel also revealed their interest to localise and "translate" FLIGHT DIARY and Snow Presents.  <_< (oh god - so excited - NOT).

It seems I was misinterpreted a bit. What people think I said was that a Moenovel TL would be better then no TL at all. What I actually said was that a Moenovel TL is worse then no TL at all.

"No TL" = "it might get a TL someday". "Horrible TL" = "it will never get a (proper) TL".

And this is why I think that.

I'm sorry, i seem to have confused myself a bit.

Does the current patch have the common/kotori/twins retranslation? Or is it still just the restoration patch?

Also, I'l take this chance to thank you guys for working on this abyssmal excuse for a translation, im bothered by even the smallest grammar mistakes, so attempting to read the Moenovel version makes me want to vomit.

Not at all. It's not "Moenovelish-to-English" - that would be just editing. Their "translation" is absolutely useless, so I have to re-translate almost every single line completely from scratch (even tiny lines like "(Nod)" or "Ah..." - yes, they were screwing up even such utterly trivial stuff). It's a regular JP-to-ENG TL. And it's actually more difficult than translating something new, because:

- Looking at the original "translation" only leads to confusion, because it usually says something different than the JP line, and you have to wonder if you didn't mix something up by any chance.

- Every single line filled with random bullshit reminds you that somebody got paid for this crap, and you are working for free...

- Most people have read it already.

- And with every comment on Steam or other site, that says the original TL is "not so bad", or that it's perfectly fine with the Restoratin patch (which fixed almost NOTHING TL-wise!), you realize that ~80% of humans are illiterate, and they won't even notice the difference between your work and original gibberish.

Gosh, I agree with you so much! I had to do corrections on bad translation jobs (Hungarian to English) multiple times, and each one was a travesty. On most occasions I ended up retranslating everything from scratch, because it was more time-efficient and much less annoying. I can also relate to your frustration regarding the fact that the original translator even got a load of money for the shit that you are correcting redoing for free now.

I have similar opinion about the reviews as well. I don't know if me not being a native English speaker has anything to do with this, but it didn't took me very long to realize that most of the recommendations labelling the MoeNovel translation 'not so bad' were quite far from reality. Even during the common routes it became obvious pretty quickly, that there are serious problems with it, but the shitstorm just became real when, in my blissful ignorance, I chose Ageha's route as my first one. I think the less I say about that, the better.

I don't know if me not being a native English speaker has anything to do with this, but it didn't took me very long to realize that most of the recommendations labelling the MoeNovel translation 'not so bad' were quite far from reality. Even during the common routes it became obvious pretty quickly, that there are serious problems with it, but the shitstorm just became real when, in my blissful ignorance, I chose Ageha's route as my first one. I think the less I say about that, the better.

I am playing the original version with "Merup's patch" (someone told me it was better this way) and i just got to a scene in Kotori's route that made no sense at all, i decided to investigate and found this, i will not read any other routes until there is a good translation (Please don't give up, we will love you forever) but my question is, can i keep reading Kotori's route? or is the translation really bad through the rest of her route?

@Killsjoyz

Twins' routes are full of BS as well. They were mixing up twins' names and other very obvious and very basic stuff on a regular basis there (they somehow made Kanako date the twins... which would be quite nice actually :P). I haven't tried Amane's yet, but apparently it wasn't a total rubbish. As for Kotori's route...

@Gaporigo

About half of Kotori's route was somewhere at the level of common route - that is, bad, but not an utter nonsense. But the latter half probably had a different "translator", so the quality went to Hell there. Nonsensical stuff will probably appear quite often.

I don't know if I would recommend waiting for the partial patch - we still have ~half of Yoru's route to edit, so it might take a while.

Is the original Translation + the Restoration patch really that bad? I really want to read this VN with the 1.0 Patch applied but everyone keeps saying how bad it is. Are the over exaggerating or is the translation really that bad? I know the Ageha route is unreadable but what about the others? 

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't say that people are exaggerating. If the translation only had minor errors (like typos), that didn't make it any harder to interpret and understand the different situations, I would definitely let it slide. Unfortunately, it's much worse than that. When it comes to clarity, most of the common stuff is passable. However, it still has a lot of obvious mistakes, and, from time to time, it can easily force you to re-read shorter sections if you wish to fully comprehend everything. In my opinion, if the whole translation was 'only' that bad, the complaints would be still understandable, but at least the story could be mostly enjoyable. In reality though, every route has some kind of extra problem. After finishing with Ageha, I'm still on the fence about touching this version again, but I've already read some discouraging things about Kotori's and the twins' routes too. Based on my not very extensive research, Amane's story seems to have the least issues, but anyone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.

Having said that, it might also worth mentioning, that you need to complete (or at least skip through) Kotori's route first in order to access Amane's.

Well, the usual pattern as far as we know is for non-natives to be more tolerant or simply unable to spot poor English. There are definitely exceptions for people who are very familiar with the language though. It's also somewhat of an entry-level VN, and people tend to be less critical then for w/e reason (I admit to not minding the CLANNAD tl too much myself, though I definitely spotted all the ugly literal TLs it didn't seem to me that a decent part of it was machine translated as has been claimed).

Yeah, it makes sense. Being less proficient in English can definitely hamper someone's ability to discover errors. Also, I can see the possible reasons behind your entry-level explanation too. Actually, that might be a quite significant factor in the surprising ratio of positive reviews on Steam.