Nocturnal Illusion Renewal Translation Project

Nandemonai

33 minutes ago, Nandemonai said:

That's great, Scorp!  But it needs to be edited first, I think.

Well, it is not like we're in a big hurry here :) 

One important thing would be to match japanese and your english translation, I hope you have it preserved somehow?

1 hour ago, Nandemonai said:

It's been awhile since I looked at the original translation, but seems like you grabbed the text from it.  My file reads very differently.  Other than that it looks great :)

You betcha :) My plan is like following:

1. Disassemble original files. I can work on either English or Japanese - but given that my Japanese, is, well, constrained to "itadakimasu" and "arigatougozaimasu" - it's much easier for me to work with English.
  2. Get .story file with all the actions (i.e. text showing operations, graphics operations, sounds, etc)
  3. Get .story file with 2 languages (Japanese + old English translation)
  4. Replace (or rather add as yet another language) your English translation

Right now I'm somewhere between 1 and 2.

1 minute ago, Scorp said:

Well, it is not like we're in a big hurry here :) 

One important thing would be to match japanese and your english translation, I hope you have it preserved somehow?

Yeah, there would be no problem with that:

<  24105,2B,None> 横殴りの風が僕を襲う。=Driving winds assail me from all directions.
<  42081,2B,None> 必死に風にあらがいながら足をふんばる。=With all my strength I plant my feet against the wind.
<  51476,2B,None> ずるっ=SLIP!

1 minute ago, Mad Pierre said:

Yeah, there would be no problem with that:

<  24105,2B,None> 横殴りの風が僕を襲う。=Driving winds assail me from all directions.
<  42081,2B,None> 必死に風にあらがいながら足をふんばる。=With all my strength I plant my feet against the wind.
<  51476,2B,None> ずるっ=SLIP!

This is from Nandemonai translation?

35 minutes ago, Mad Pierre said:

I don't really get, but why all the post after Friday were deleted? Where are my pastebin links and stuff?

a rollback happened yesterday, so that´s the reason.

Ok, Mad Pierre here, reporting it.

As of today, I've got voices and digital music going: ripped WAVs, decoded ADPCM to normal signed int WAVs and batch-converted them all to OGGs. Voices work and this makes playing scenario much more lively :) Music does not, though, as it turned out that it also depends on GrMuOn.

Two major obstacles still remain: GrMuOn and conditional jumps.

As with graphics & BGM, I've disassembled GrMuOn and found that it's basically a huge switch table that takes particular preset variable values and selects a text string like "mu001n" for graphics or "munew05.wav" for music. So, I just need to translate this table and hard-code it in the converter. This is where my lack of experience shows - I couldn't yet figure out how jumps work.

Will keep trying. Won't post a current version of .story file today, as it's basically unchanged, only meaningful change is that voice files are now in place.

@Nandemonai I believe before forum got a rollback you wrote something about japanese words being not in place in Asenheim? I think it was all due to some misconversion from original, as I doubt someone really tested japanese version. So can you remind me, why you was speaking about in the first place? :) As I forgot.

Pierre here again, reporting in.

With tons of help from @mnakamura, I finally mastered addressing in KS and got jumps (both conditional and unconditional) to work. This, in turn, enabled me to properly analyze GrMuOn and make a dictionary of "variable settings" <=> "graphic / music file names".

Next stop: making menus to work, as they seem to be vital part of this game, just reading plain text is not that interesting as doing lots of choices :)

17 hours ago, Scorp said:

@Nandemonai I believe before forum got a rollback you wrote something about japanese words being not in place in Asenheim? I think it was all due to some misconversion from original, as I doubt someone really tested japanese version. So can you remind me, why you was speaking about in the first place? :) As I forgot.

I don't believe this is accurate.  There was some confusion over the voice acting; I seem to recall Mad Pierre was saying the voices weren't working for him, and I was saying they were working fine for me, so there must be some kind of bug somewhere.  But I don't remember anybody saying anything about Japanese not working right in Asenheim.

4 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

I don't believe this is accurate.  There was some confusion over the voice acting; I seem to recall Mad Pierre was saying the voices weren't working for him, and I was saying they were working fine for me, so there must be some kind of bug somewhere.  But I don't remember anybody saying anything about Japanese not working right in Asenheim.

You were speaking about weird spacing in japanese version IIRC, that's what I mean.

OK, there's some kind of bug where the game is putting a bunch of extra spaces into the text.  It's linebreaking in a weird way, or ... something.  Not sure what.  The text format is wonky.  @Scorp Check your PM, I'm sending you a link to the Google Drive with the TL in it.  I added a screenshot.

I'm not sure if the bug is in asenheim's emulation, or if it's in the original game.

On 13.07.2016 at 7:13 AM, Nandemonai said:

OK, there's some kind of bug where the game is putting a bunch of extra spaces into the text.  It's linebreaking in a weird way, or ... something.  Not sure what.  The text format is wonky.  @Scorp Check your PM, I'm sending you a link to the Google Drive with the TL in it.  I added a screenshot.

I'm not sure if the bug is in asenheim's emulation, or if it's in the original game.

Hello everybody.

About this issue, I believe it's just inaccurate font face/size selection. Basically you see one line of text, that doesn't fit and your browser breaks the line where it shouldn't have to.

I played the japanese version before and it worked alright for me (at least in FF)

Will check it again later.

(And there are no issues regarding voices)

9 hours ago, Zus said:

Text example  This is on FF right now with default settings

And the next one with monospace: http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/1386/NddwZC.jpg

Try selecting another font

Indeed, you are quite right.  When I see the borked behavior, and I go into Options I find that "Courier New" is for some reason the default font in my browser.  When I change it to <default>, the problem goes away and everything appears to work perfectly.  It also works fine with the Comic Sans option.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2016 at 9:38 AM, Kelebek1 said:

Have you given up making a patch for the original game then? I can't really tell.

EDIT: Ah nevermind, runs in a browser? No worries then.

Well, Mad Pierre hasn't been around in a few weeks, but he seems to be making good progress on porting the game to his new engine.  I am also planning on making this available via Asenheim.  But the raw translation needs to be edited first.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, time for a status update.

Ryechu has today started editing the translation.  Programming seems to have stalled, as Mad Pierre doesn't seem to have been around since his last post in early July.  Even if Mad Pierre is gone forever, my plan all along was a release on Asenheim regardless of the ultimate fate of any stand-alone version, so the project is still very much on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...