I'd like to translate a VN. Any suggestion what VN should I translate?

21 hours ago, ittaku said:

It takes an awful lot of motivation, stamina, persistence, and a fair amount of skill to translate a VN of any length. I don't want to discourage any newcomers from getting involved in the sparse world that is amateur translation for VNs, but I have to ask: are you really up for such a task? Your posting pattern and comments do not remind me of someone who meets said criteria, and I say this in the nicest possible way since I hate to see people overwhelmed by the reality and the community disappointed by yet another transient.

Well, maybe I'm not the most diligent, hardworker, energetic, passionate guy out there; but I always try to finish things I started.

21 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

Talking about translations you should read this, and I agree with ittaku (and by looking at your thread again you failed at almost all the points)

(yeah it sounds a bit egocentric to post my own thread but it can't hurt to read it.)

Point taken.

19 hours ago, Valmore said:

If you're good with both Japanese and English and want to translate a visual novel from Japanese to English, the key word is "want." You should want to translate the game for a specific purpose - usually it's because you enjoyed the title and want to share it with others who can't read Japanese. After all, if you can already read it in Japanese, it's pretty pointless to translate it to English for yourself. So in that case, you need something you honestly liked and want others to like. Anything else will feel like an unpaid chore, unless you get lucky and the title suggested by someone ends up being enjoyable.

Yeah, it's certainly true. But sometimes people need a guidance to show them something that they'll eventually want.

13 hours ago, Rose said:

Follow your heart.

Yeah, it should be as simple as that.

As others here have said, translating a VN is really not something that you should take lightly or try to do on a whim. It takes a significant amount of time just to do the translation, let alone finding someone to help with hacking, editing, etc. It can be tempting to just jump into it, but the novelty and fun wears off quickly if you aren't doing it for a more specific reason.

Though with that said, if you do end up choosing something, make sure it's something that you actually enjoy and, preferably, have actually read since translating as you go along will inevitably lead to having to go back and redoing something that you misunderstood at first, etc. 

Good luck with whatever you choose. It can certainly be done, but not without a legitimate commitment. 

10 minutes ago, onlyMyRailgun said:

As others here have said, translating a VN is really not something that you should take lightly or try to do on a whim.

I don't take it lightly and it's certainly not just a whim.

It takes a significant amount of time just to do the translation, let alone finding someone to help with hacking, editing, etc. It can be tempting to just jump into it, but the novelty and fun wears off quickly if you aren't doing it for a more specific reason.

I know it very well. Actually, I've translated some VNs to my native language.

Though with that said, if you do end up choosing something, make sure it's something that you actually enjoy and, preferably, have actually read since translating as you go along will inevitably lead to having to go back and redoing something that you misunderstood at first, etc. 

Good luck with whatever you choose. It can certainly be done, but not without a legitimate commitment. 

Thanks for the advice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/23/2016 at 2:58 AM, Forte said:

I don't take it lightly and it's certainly not just a whim.

I know it very well. Actually, I've translated some VNs to my native language.

Thanks for the advice.

Native language huh? If you are not a native English speaker than I would not bother translating to English unless you are very fluent or get one hell of an editor.