I'd like to translate a VN. Any suggestion what VN should I translate?

I think I'll start a one-man translation project. Mainly because a friend of mine keep asking me, "Why are most VNs written in Japanese? I can't read Japanese!"

The answer's quite obvious, but I think it won't hurt to help them who are unable to read Japanese to enjoy some good Japanese titles.

Then, for the VN, it should fulfill these:

1) Short or medium

2) Non 18+

3) Straight & Normal (No Yaoi, Yuri, S&M, torture, gore, tentacles, pedophilic content)

4) No racism jokes/insults

5) No jokes/insults about divine being (God and angels)

So for the title, any suggestion? And if you know, could you tell me how to extract the scripts?

Note: But I guess I'll run this project incognito, due to my limited time of using computers and that it could be postponed or even dropped. So if it really happened, I wouldn't make some people wait for nothing.

5 minutes ago, Forte said:

I think I'll start a one-man translation project. Mainly because a friend of mine keep asking me, "Why are most VNs written in Japanese? I can't read Japanese!"

The answer's quite obvious, but I think it won't hurt to help them who are unable to read Japanese to enjoy some good Japanese titles.

1) Short or medium

2) Non 18+

3) Straight & Normal (No Yaoi, Yuri, S&M, torture, gore, tentacles, pedophilic content)

4) No racism jokes/insults

5) No jokes/insults about divine being (God and angels)

So for the title, any suggestion? And if you know, could you tell me how to extract the scripts?

Note: But I guess I'll run this project incognito, due to my limited time of using computers and that it could be postponed or even dropped. So if it really happened, I wouldn't make some people wait for nothing.

I don't think you'll find anything even remotely interesting, that would fit those criteria :makina:

If you don't have any ideas/plans yet as of what to translate, I don't think it's even worth trying; you're more likely to give up midway through.

Don't really know many short VN's that don't have translations...

There's Konakana (old VN so very very little padding, short common route, yet a meaningful 'gentle' utsuge)

Gin'iro (Novel is basically 5 somewhat thematically connected chapters. Someone translate that first chapter, it's great on it's own even)

Houkago no Futekikusha (~644,950 characters is about 30k lines. Has a very emotional prologue and some scenes. Somewhat a lot of repetitiveness which inflates the line count)

Dekinai Watashi ga, Kurikaesu is another shorter VN.

An anti-reccomend against the Bishoujo Mangekyou -Kami ga Tsukuritamouta Shoujo-tachi even though its of a good length. Plot is meh and character suck. Only good as a nukige with setting on the side.

Edit: Oh non-18 huh... scratch everything

If you don't have any ideas/plans yet as of what to translate, I don't think it's even worth trying; you're more likely to give up midway through.

It's not bad to try, but you'll need a stronger motivation then 'it would be nice', that's not going to last you past the first few hundred lines.

20 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

I don't think you'll find anything even remotely interesting, that would fit those criteria :makina:

I still don't have the idea yet as of what to translate, because almost all untranslated VNs that I know doesn't fit the criteria. But if the H content is light or there is only a few scenes, I guess I'll compromise.

Honestly, when translating, the most important thing is motivation. If you don't like the title you are translating, spending hours every day translating lines from it for a long time wont end well. It's one of the reasons why certain projects die. The motivation for finishing the project simply vanish.

I don't really have any titles to recommend, as I think what I said above is the most important thing you need to keep in mind. It is probably a good idea to look for a title on your own a bit more.

1 minute ago, Forte said:

I still don't have the idea yet as of what to translate, because almost all untranslated VNs that I know doesn't fit the criteria. But if the H content is light or there are only a few scenes, I guess I'll compromise.

You should look into doujin games; there's quite a few short vn's without h-content out there. My guess is anything by Utage or ZigZag could be a decent pick. They make preety good games, although some of ZigZag's vn's were already TL'ed in the past.

6 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

You should look into doujin games; there's quite a few short vn's without h-content out there. My guess is anything by Utage or ZigZag could be a decent pick. They make preety good games, although some of ZigZag's vn's were already TL'ed in the past.

Ah that's a good one. The writer's the same person who wrote Kami no ue no Mahoutsukai. Great writer, good characters, good sense of text.

Maybe 花の葬列~A Stray Children~ (https://vndb.org/v12162)  as well.

Hmmmm....... quite a challange here. As for recommendation, if I may force you maybe Natsuyume Nagisa once again. Okay, since you willing to compromise for sex scene, maybe Flyable Heart. Also Phantom of Inferno, and you better tramslate XBOX 360 port version. The reason I recommended those because Flyable Heart translation was mess (Most importantly to me, the technical issue remain ie small font and nodvd patch support), while Phantom of Inferno was released in English and could only be played using DVD Player (You could play in PC, but the step is complicated). I think that's all the recommendation I could think of. And hopefully if you chose one VN to be translated, it'll be the title that you like. Oh, and if you start the project, better try to recruit staff like editor and programming first.

1 hour ago, Forte said:

I helpfully put most of your arbitrary criteria into a VNDB search and sorted it in order of user rating.  Ignore the games with English flags.

It takes an awful lot of motivation, stamina, persistence, and a fair amount of skill to translate a VN of any length. I don't want to discourage any newcomers from getting involved in the sparse world that is amateur translation for VNs, but I have to ask: are you really up for such a task? Your posting pattern and comments do not remind me of someone who meets said criteria, and I say this in the nicest possible way since I hate to see people overwhelmed by the reality and the community disappointed by yet another transient.

the only zigzag title that´s still worth a translation and which isnt already is kurai nichuyoubi, but that one is rather darn dark + also features the kind of content you want to avoid.

some rather cool & good titles you should probably look into are:

norukasoruka
nagareochiru shirabe ni nosete  or yami o hashiru yabai no kiramek
sayonara, utsutsu. (though it´s no all ages)
uhma o dakishimete
pakorare (havent read that one myself, but some said it´s a nice read)
mushi no me (abit longer, but a real good one for sure)

If you're good with both Japanese and English and want to translate a visual novel from Japanese to English, the key word is "want." You should want to translate the game for a specific purpose - usually it's because you enjoyed the title and want to share it with others who can't read Japanese. After all, if you can already read it in Japanese, it's pretty pointless to translate it to English for yourself. So in that case, you need something you honestly liked and want others to like. Anything else will feel like an unpaid chore, unless you get lucky and the title suggested by someone ends up being enjoyable.