What is your opinion on cheating?

Forte

Cheating (on gaming) has been a problem for many people. It's basically an act to make you get the game's contents, achievements, money/experience (if the game has such a concept, like RPGs), and additional files/documents without spending time and/or many time playing the game. As for me, it would be depending on the case. I believe that sometime it's inevitable to get a certain something by cheating because it would be too hard to get it normally or would take too much time to get it, moreover if you could only get it by pure luck of random chances. In this case, I think it's okay to cheat. But in general, I'd rather not cheating if possible. What about you? What's your opinion?

If it's a single player game then do what you want. If cheating somehow makes the game more enjoyable for you then knock yourself out. Multiplayer is a different story though, especially when it comes to competitive games. When it comes to online multiplayer I think devs should have a zero tolerance policy and perma ban on first offense.

Like most of the other replies, I do cheat in a single player game after beating it at least once or at least attempted to beat it with my own skills. Although with most multiplayer games I play, there is no form of cheating so, I can't really answer the second half of your question.

Regarding single player games, in particular with roms, hacking into the game and changing hex values, memory values, and altering the assembly code is actually a challenge in and of itself. I think that that just using code breaker codes that you found off the net will get really boring after the first 5 minutes of fun. But if you make your own codes, then there is quite a bit of fun in exercising the power over the game to make it do what you want it to do. 

So what I am saying is that if you use other peoples cheat codes as well as hacks to make the game easier, then I think you are just wasting time. But if you make your own cheat codes and hacks, well that's an actual skill, and quite a lot of fun can be had as you figure things out.

With multiplayer games, instead of "cheating" I employ "strategy". For example, when seated next to a person beating me convincingly, I would yank his controller cord out of the console. The lengthy 'WHAT THE FUCK' and his subsequent scrambling granted me plenty of time to rack up an advantage. A little bit harder to do now that wireless controllers have become a thing, but a hearty overhead chop should be enough to make him drop his controller, granting you a few precious seconds to do what you will.

... ‘Strategy’ :3 

Note: Shielding your controller and your person against retaliatory strikes is a must.

Cheating is good for finishing bad games. It won't change the fact the game is bad, on the contrary, but it will let you race through it, see all there is to see, and wrap it up never to touch it again.

If the game is good, you should abide by its rules -but only if you're entertained.

Cheating, well I think for all of gameplay VN I'd never use that. Also with some games that I played on my PS2. The last time I cheat in the game it was when I played Pokemon Blaze Black (Pokemon Black mod, which severely increasing game difficulty), and it was only to allow me to get certain pokemon starter more easily. Other than that, no cheating if the definition of cheating in game was to get all goods in first few minutes of the game.

4 hours ago, Rooke said:

With multiplayer games, instead of "cheating" I employ "strategy". For example, when seated next to a person beating me convincingly, I would yank his controller cord out of the console. The lengthy 'WHAT THE FUCK' and his subsequent scrambling granted me plenty of time to rack up an advantage. A little bit harder to do now that wireless controllers have become a thing, but a hearty overhead chop should be enough to make him drop his controller, granting you a few precious seconds to do what you will.

... ‘Strategy’ :3 

Note: Shielding your controller and your person against retaliatory strikes is a must.

Rooke was the guy who'd pull down your shorts during a basketball game? :michiru:

I see no problem with cheating in singleplayer. Back in the days where I figured out hex editing, I invented a new game for myself: how many games can I gain 99 lives in? That actually turned out to be more fun than some of the games themselves and fun is the keyword here. Sometimes a game is good in general, but there is just one tiny bit in it, which you absolutely hate and why not use a patch to make you always win or skip that silly unbeatable minigame?

I'm seriously considering cheating in Kamidori to get Devil Beads. You can only get one in each playthrough (unless you use certain rare magic items, in which case you can get up to 3-4). Even worse you need kill a high level boss in one blow while he has more than 50% hits left when you hit him, meaning there is a high risk you will not get any at all (which is the case for me). After something like 300 hours I still haven't managed to get even a single one and a minimum of 4 will be required to unlock all H scenes. I get the idea of hard to get resources, but this is just ridicules.

I feel like I'm just repeating what many people have already posted, but in a single player I don't see an issue with cheating in any way. In fact I've gotten more mileage from a few games because I did new games with cheat codes to make it more interesting or different. 

I definitely take issue with it in multiplayer games though as it can give an unfair advantage over other players. Both in regards to how difficult something could be to obtain in say an mmo and you cheat to duplicate or generate said item and using hacks to bypass regular game limitations. 

Cheating is good, cheating saves time and to hell with achievements. Would only recommend if you're truly stumped, or to eliminate hours upon hours of grinding. Single Player.

Cheating is fun, you're a 3rd rate quack though if you take pride in it. Multiplayer

Eh, I don't really cheat in the first place, but I'm really indifferent about cheating as a whole

You want to get some progress you lost back by snapping your fingers? Sure.

It makes your single-player escapades more enjoyable? Go for it.

In multiplayer games? I mean, you're scum, but do what you like.

All in all, cheating doesn't really affect anyone other than you unless it's multiplayer.