Can a VN be move to a Flash Drive?

Nekolover

2 minutes ago, Nekolover said:

Can a VN be move to a Flash Drive? I know this must be a stupid question but I don't know.   Or there something preventing it from happening? 

Depends how the game is installed, if every needed file is on the game folder you want to move on a flasdrive, then yes.

1 hour ago, Nekolover said:

Can a VN be move to a Flash Drive? I know this must be a stupid question but I don't know.   Or there something preventing it from happening? 

When I switched computers a couple of years ago I moved my VN collection via flash drive. All my VNs worked fine, although I did have a problem with save files for a few of them. Even though I imported the save files, it still would not work with a few of them. But that was with a minority of them. And I think with a few of them I manged to fix the problem. The only VN I now have that the old save file still won't get recognized with is G-Senjou no Maou. And apart from that the VN works fine. 

Yeah its usually not a problem. Though, some vns require your files to be in your c drive. So just transfer a vn you want, start the game and save.

If you restart the game and the save file isnt there, that means you cant move the file to a external drive cause your files are being saved on your com and not the game file itself. 

I don't know the workaround of that situation lol.

Of course it could. In fact back when Fuwanovel was still hosting torrent for VN, most of download file was game file ie you didn't need to install it again, so I think you could easily move the game file from those VN using the flash drive or play the VN inside flash drive. And from what I recall, I think the game that you couldn't move and play in flash drive (Actually you could, but you need more effort by editing regedit) was Muv Luv, Yumina, Eien no Aselia (You could play it, but no voice), Princess Waltz, and Yume Miru Kusuri. Well, I am speak from my experience here, and hopefully it could answer OP question here.

Some can, some cannot; depends on the game's age, it's file structure and possible protection mechanisms, aside from locale requirements. It's obvious you can download preety much everything onto a flash drive, but it won't work in most cases, unless it was >installed< onto it.

I read all my VNs using tablet with a memory card (that's same thing). Never saw any VN which was refused to work from it.

And I never installed anything on it. It was always a copy of the installed version from another PC. Of course, when a registry used - I also export registry keys, but this is very rare nowadays, only very old games use registry.

2 hours ago, DharmaFreedom said:

Yeah its usually not a problem. Though, some vns require your files to be in your c drive. So just transfer a vn you want, start the game and save.

If you restart the game and the save file isnt there, that means you cant move the file to a external drive cause your files are being saved on your com and not the game file itself. 

I don't know the workaround of that situation lol.

I use symlinks to point all folders (like Mangagamer, Nitroplus) from my profile to my memory card. 

2 hours ago, Zalor said:

The only VN I now have that the old save file still won't get recognized with is G-Senjou no Maou. And apart from that the VN works fine. 

G-Senjou saves in your documents folder iirc. So if you put them back there and game version is same - it should work. Only problem I ever had with G-Senjou (or was it Sharin no Kuni?) is that I played 90% of it on my android tablet using Kirikiriroid2, and I needed space, so copied save files from it to PC and assumed it should work. But no luck, was showing an error. I fixed it anyway, it was because Android uses more recent version of krkr2 than PC version.