Jump to content

japaneses VN with japanese interfaces and buttons: vocabulary?


Kirashi
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi,

Someone now a good website with vocabulary for a battle system in japanese? For exemple the stats, or things like "swords buff stat A" and "armor buffs stat B", "powerful attack", "debuff" etc. It would be convenient and I don't find one.

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

umm... I hate to say it, but ninety-percent of the time, if you are playing a VN-rpg hybrid you need to know kanji to decipher the interface.  There are interface patches for most Eushully games, but other companies' works don't, for the most part.  Here are a few basic kanji that tend to show up in a lot of gameplay-hybrids.

攻 Generally can be seen as part of an attack-related stat

坊 Defensive-related

速 speed-related

運 luck-related

魔 magic-related

回避 Evasion, in most cases.  In the case of the IM games, the first kanji gets tacked onto the attack and defense kanji from above for 'number of defenses and number of attacks', which is a unique stat from those games. 

Other than that, I can't really help you, since the variance is so wide.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can use sites like http://jisho.org/ to look up kanji if you find something you don't know, but that obviously takes a while.

If you don't know any Japanese at all, playing Japanese games with text that cannot be hooked by text hookers is difficult, especially games with actual gameplay that requires interaction beyond just reading.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are wiki pages from rpg vns around. So you can search for wiki pages in jp for the vn you are reading. Can easily check the battle combat words etc from there.

Generally speaking vn-rpgs tend to use the same vocab or varations of it, so for example looking the vocab from ikusa megami wiki for example prbly will help a lot.

http://www37.atwiki.jp/verita/pages/73.html#id_6cde8aa4

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Clephas said:

umm... I hate to say it, but ninety-percent of the time, if you are playing a VN-rpg hybrid you need to know kanji to decipher the interface.  There are interface patches for most Eushully games, but other companies' works don't, for the most part.  Here are a few basic kanji that tend to show up in a lot of gameplay-hybrids.

攻 Generally can be seen as part of an attack-related stat

坊 Defensive-related

速 speed-related

運 luck-related

魔 magic-related

回避 Evasion, in most cases.  In the case of the IM games, the first kanji gets tacked onto the attack and defense kanji from above for 'number of defenses and number of attacks', which is a unique stat from those games. 

Other than that, I can't really help you, since the variance is so wide.

 

 

That's the kind of things I was looking for. And I know well there is more ^^

for example, 回 also about healing, as you said that's wide, that's why i wondered if someone made a list somewhere with the main kanji used in battle game.

 

56 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

You can use sites like http://jisho.org/ to look up kanji if you find something you don't know, but that obviously takes a while.

If you don't know any Japanese at all, playing Japanese games with text that cannot be hooked by text hookers is difficult, especially games with actual gameplay that requires interaction beyond just reading.

 

I know japanese, but I am not used on battle game. 

30 minutes ago, Bolverk said:

There are wiki pages from rpg vns around. So you can search for wiki pages in jp for the vn you are reading. Can easily check the battle combat words etc from there.

Generally speaking vn-rpgs tend to use the same vocab or varations of it, so for example looking the vocab from ikusa megami wiki for example prbly will help a lot.

http://www37.atwiki.jp/verita/pages/73.html#id_6cde8aa4

 

Not a bad idea, thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The other thing you can do, if you have a smartphone device or something, if you install the google translate app, you can take a picture of the text. You have a pretty high chance of success, I think it's pretty reliable. What you typically wanna do is you wanna use it to look up words with the kanji you don't know, since it can pretty effectively take the kanji, and you can throw it into jisho.org afterwards.

4 hours ago, Kirashi said:

That's the kind of things I was looking for. And I know well there is more ^^

for example, 回 also about healing, as you said that's wide, that's why i wondered if someone made a list somewhere with the main kanji used in battle game.

回復 is the only instance I can think of for this being for healing. It's actually better to think of this as "-times," as in, the number of times. 3回 would be 3 times, in case you're playing some RPG.

 

Uhh, for me personally, who likes Yugioh, I've been playing Yugioh Tag Force Special for example, and all the words, if you open up the card description, have furigana on all the kanji, and I've learned a few words from that.

Spoiler

Like the card mirror force:

聖(せい)なるバリア-ミラーフォース-

latest?cb=20151120104012

相手(あいて)モンスターの攻撃(こうげき)宣言時(せんげんじ)に発動(はつどう)できる。相手(あいて)フィールドの攻撃(こうげき)表示(ひょうじ)モンスターを全(すべ)て破壊(はかい)する。

As you can see, 撃, for "attack," shows up in there. 聖なる or just the kanji by itself also stands for "holy," so that's probably also nice to know for typing, depending on whatever you play.

Elements are usually:
火: Fire

水: Water

氷: Ice

雷: Thunder

地: Earth

風: Wind

闇: Dark

光: Light

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, seventhfonist425 said:

The other thing you can do, if you have a smartphone device or something, if you install the google translate app, you can take a picture of the text. You have a pretty high chance of success, I think it's pretty reliable. What you typically wanna do is you wanna use it to look up words with the kanji you don't know, since it can pretty effectively take the kanji, and you can throw it into jisho.org afterwards.

 

I tried this with kanji tomo last year, and it was quite terrible... Maybe it was a problem about the size and thickness. Do you know if a screenshot instead of taking a picture might works?

14 hours ago, seventhfonist425 said:

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Like the card mirror force:

聖(せい)なるバリア-ミラーフォース-

latest?cb=20151120104012

相手(あいて)モンスターの攻撃(こうげき)宣言時(せんげんじ)に発動(はつどう)できる。相手(あいて)フィールドの攻撃(こうげき)表示(ひょうじ)モンスターを全(すべ)て破壊(はかい)する。

As you can see, 撃, for "attack," shows up in there. 聖なる or just the kanji by itself also stands for "holy," so that's probably also nice to know for typing, depending on whatever you play.

Elements are usually:
火: Fire

水: Water

氷: Ice

雷: Thunder

地: Earth

風: Wind

闇: Dark

光: Light

I understand your point. It may be a stupid question, but what is the difference between 光 and 聖なる ?

I think the number of time is actually 回数 right?

I take a look at the wiki page bolverk gave me. For example, the rank E physical skill 身妖舞 (Mioumi?) gives you 物理攻撃+30 so I assume it's + 30 physical attack, or damage. But the 攻撃回数+2 bothers me. Does it means you can use this skill only 2 times?  And the 命中+30 means you have a bonus of 30 accuracy?. The skills costs 14 sp (or tp), and must be used with a weapon. The area is 1x1 (1 square si 1 enemy I assume), But I don't understand what does the 待機/硬化 refer to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Kirashi said:

I tried this with kanji tomo last year, and it was quite terrible... Maybe it was a problem about the size and thickness. Do you know if a screenshot instead of taking a picture might works?

I understand your point. It may be a stupid question, but what is the difference between 光 and 聖なる ?

I think the number of time is actually 回数 right?

I take a look at the wiki page bolverk gave me. For example, the rank E physical skill 身妖舞 (Mioumi?) gives you 物理攻撃+30 so I assume it's + 30 physical attack, or damage. But the 攻撃回数+2 bothers me. Does it means you can use this skill only 2 times?  And the 命中+30 means you have a bonus of 30 accuracy?. The skills costs 14 sp (or tp), and must be used with a weapon. The area is 1x1 (1 square si 1 enemy I assume), But I don't understand what does the 待機/硬化 refer to. 

Yeah, you can take screenshots too, assuming we're talking about the same thing. Taking a picture with a phone camera after focusing it onto a game screen tends to work, based on my past experience. Not ALL the time, since it's not perfect, but it's google, their kanji recognition is still pretty top notch.

So I'm not THAAAT great, so if I were in your situation, these are the guesses I'd make. I'm not entirely sure what this "miyoumi" thing is, so it's probably just some stuff that JRPGs like to pull, stringing cool kanji together to make their attack names. The 攻撃回数+2 is probably number of attacks +2, as in, the player or whatever gets 2 more attacks? I'm assuming in a turn? I'm assuming the 命中 is really probably accuracy. 武器依存 just seems to me "depends on the weapon," an attribute that you can expect to change depending on the weapon. So I'd think, "Okay, then there's probably multiple weapons in this game, and the skill itself doesn't have any bearing on the element of your attack. That depends on the weapon." And the last two, I'm really assuming would make a lot more sense within the context, it's probably some mechanic in the game. The stuff on the wiki page is just an example of what kind of things you MIGHT see, a chunk of general kanji you might see. If you can give some examples of some games you have intentions of playing, it might be more helpful to us.

And sorry for confusing you with 聖なる and 光. Holy is something you can kinda see as like, a description for a priest or something of the like, while light is just the real life thing, like light from the sun, light from a lamp, and in the context of the game, (I pulled stuff from my Tales of Destiny experience, if that happens to be related to some game you're playing) it's an element, like how Pokemon have types.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, seventhfonist425 said:

Yeah, you can take screenshots too, assuming we're talking about the same thing. Taking a picture with a phone camera after focusing it onto a game screen tends to work, based on my past experience. Not ALL the time, since it's not perfect, but it's google, their kanji recognition is still pretty top notch.

So I'm not THAAAT great, so if I were in your situation, these are the guesses I'd make. I'm not entirely sure what this "miyoumi" thing is, so it's probably just some stuff that JRPGs like to pull, stringing cool kanji together to make their attack names. The 攻撃回数+2 is probably number of attacks +2, as in, the player or whatever gets 2 more attacks? I'm assuming in a turn? I'm assuming the 命中 is really probably accuracy. 武器依存 just seems to me "depends on the weapon," an attribute that you can expect to change depending on the weapon. So I'd think, "Okay, then there's probably multiple weapons in this game, and the skill itself doesn't have any bearing on the element of your attack. That depends on the weapon." And the last two, I'm really assuming would make a lot more sense within the context, it's probably some mechanic in the game. The stuff on the wiki page is just an example of what kind of things you MIGHT see, a chunk of general kanji you might see. If you can give some examples of some games you have intentions of playing, it might be more helpful to us.

And sorry for confusing you with 聖なる and 光. Holy is something you can kinda see as like, a description for a priest or something of the like, while light is just the real life thing, like light from the sun, light from a lamp, and in the context of the game, (I pulled stuff from my Tales of Destiny experience, if that happens to be related to some game you're playing) it's an element, like how Pokemon have types.

Oh, that seems great, but do I have to use a smartphone? It doesn't work with a computer?

Some examples of games I would like to play... That's most likely Eternal games, like Kenseki https://vndb.org/v14325#main but I haven't tried the game yet, so I don't know how is the interface. All I can do so far is being more used to battle system, and not just stupid stuff like "stupid character took 50 damage" or basics.

I happen to see holy as a types in some translated game, that's why I wondered. Thank you for the explanation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Kirashi said:

Oh, that seems great, but do I have to use a smartphone? It doesn't work with a computer?

Some examples of games I would like to play... That's most likely Eternal games, like Kenseki https://vndb.org/v14325#main but I haven't tried the game yet, so I don't know how is the interface. All I can do so far is being more used to battle system, and not just stupid stuff like "stupid character took 50 damage" or basics.

I happen to see holy as a types in some translated game, that's why I wondered. Thank you for the explanation.

Oh uhh, yeah, I dunno then. If you don't have a smartphone, then you might be able to try something else, but I don't know what else there is. I'm not really familiar with VNs with gameplay in them, so I couldn't really tell you about those unfortunately. Dunno what else to say that isn't already said on the whole thing. At this point, you could try it and see how it goes? If it works similarly to other games you've played, it should help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...