The House in Fata Morgana discussion

akaritan

Go into the picture, so you're not missing anything.

So much talk about the music, where's da "ermergawrrd, story and writing!!@1 AND DIFFERENT ART!1@1!1!" hype :c

What is great with Fata Morgana is that all aspects are equally awesome. Story and writing are top-notch even if not flawless.

• 1 month later...

I don't like changes. Especially unnecessary.
http://blog.mangagamer.org/2016/07/29/the-house-in-fata-morgana-version-1-2-update/

They remade maid sprites. I mean - she looks much, much prettier in new ones, but what's the point? Half of her 'charm' was that she's not a typical beauty, she doesn't looks very young, she's different. But here we have another pretty, young girl, just like Pauline or Nellie.

Old:
20160727041245_1.jpg

New:
20160727032353_1.jpg

Nellie:
54765.jpg
Pauline:
54767.jpg

The proportions on the original maid always looked a bit "off" to me, and the new one fixes that, but aside from that I agree with you. I can't help but feel that the brightened colors sort of conflict with the dark background too. Ah, well, I don't think it automatically installs, so you shouldn't have to use it if you don't want to.

• 3 weeks later...

Ten hours today.
Still not finished.

But what a great VN this is, the amosphere is unbelievable!
The NVL scene, in which (big spoiler)

Spoiler

Morgana was talkin about her past

was mindblowingly creepyly enchanting and entrancing.

And I changed my mind - new sprites for Maid are much, much more fitting. Don't know why they didn't make her 'right' in the first place.

10 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

Ten hours today.
Still not finished.

But what a great VN this is, the amosphere is unbelievable!
The NVL scene, in which (big spoiler)

Reveal hidden contents

Morgana was talkin about her past

was mindblowingly creepyly enchanting and entrancing.

And I changed my mind - new sprites for Maid are much, much more fitting. Don't know why they didn't make her 'right' in the first place.

Her proportions are better and the way she

Spoiler

looks like Giselle now

is definitely a huge improvement, but I guess I'm just too fond of the dark color palette of the original. The way she blended in with the background and felt almost like a part of the mansion itself grew on me. Ahaha, I guess I'm biased because I played it with the old sprites first, though, so make of this what you will.

• 4 weeks later...

I have yet to decide on final grade, but that was truly...a work of Art. Probably the first one from vns I've read.

That almost-final, when Michel said [huge spoiler]

Spoiler

that he's an angel, right before Morganas death

made me cry like a baby. Only Muv Luv Alt made my cry like that, from any vns.

So great. Buy this VN people. It's worth every penny.

14 minutes ago, solidbatman said:

Gonna pull a sanah and not post anything to add to the discussion, but instead a link to my content on Fata Morgana. Gotta get dem clicks baby

fuwanovel.net/reviews/2016/06/18/the-house-in-fata-morgana/

Oy yeah, this nonsense. :P I had this review in mind when I was reading last chapter, and this:

Problems begin to arise when the story proper begins, however. While the story is still rather enjoyable, things start to drag, with repetition, and point of view changes cause the reader to go through the same scenes multiple times. This would not be an issue if the writing staff had simply skirted around the stuff we already knew, and shown us mostly the new information. Instead, the same monologues and lectures we get from one perspective, we get again from another perspective. This issue is most prevalent in a 4 hour chunk right before the finale. It was without a doubt, the slowest, dragged out part of an otherwise tightly bound narrative. The fact that it occurs so close to the end does not do any favors for lasting impressions either.

Is just ... not true. There is almost no repetiton in different perspectives. It only gives you 'were here and there now' and besides that only new information. And whats more, great new information that changes dramatically what I thought about persons actions and behaviour.
The only repetetive thing was 4th door and next aprt of the story, which was reasonable storywise.

39 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

Oy yeah, this nonsense. :P I had this review in mind when I was reading last chapter, and this:

Is just ... not true. There is almost no repetiton in different perspectives. It only gives you 'were here and there now' and besides that only new information. And whats more, great new information that changes dramatically what I thought about persons actions and behaviour.
The only repetetive thing was 4th door and next aprt of the story, which was reasonable storywise.

If I had to read one more "gaaah" or "nnnghhh" from Mell, I was going to gouge my own eyes out. It does repeat itself, in part to remind readers of what happened earlier, and also to show the repetition of suffering from characters. Keep in mind, I binged the fuck out of this VN, and despite the issue towards the end where the narrative loses steam, I still think its the best VN in the west. 

14 hours ago, solidbatman said:

fuwanovel.net/reviews/2016/06/18/the-house-in-fata-morgana/

getting a 404

13 hours ago, solidbatman said:

If I had to read one more "gaaah" or "nnnghhh" from Mell, I was going to gouge my own eyes out. It does repeat itself, in part to remind readers of what happened earlier, and also to show the repetition of suffering from characters. 

For me, how utterly different these scenes felt while knowing the pasts of the characters justified repetition- In fact, it being repetition enhanced the experience for me. For example, 

Spoiler

the scene where Giselle and Michel talk for the first time.

Take 1: Oh, we have a sweet and cheerful young woman and a cynical, silent guy.

Take 2 (after Door 6): Oh fuck. Giselle can smile like that even after all her suffering... She's strong, incredibly so, and a beautiful person.

Take 3 (after Door 7): *muted sobbing* 

11 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

getting a 404

For me, how utterly different these scenes felt while knowing the pasts of the characters justified repetition- In fact, it being repetition enhanced the experience for me. For example, 

Reveal hidden contents

the scene where Giselle and Michel talk for the first time.

Take 1: Oh, we have a sweet and cheerful young woman and a cynical, silent guy.

Take 2 (after Door 6): Oh fuck. Giselle can smile like that even after all her suffering... She's strong, incredibly so, and a beautiful person.

Take 3 (after Door 7): *muted sobbing* 

Fata's probably one of the few VNs I would wholeheartedly recommend rereading for that reason. Apart from being able to notice subtleties in the character's actions and speech (especially in chapter 5) that you wouldn't notice before, a lot of things are just so much more powerful on a reread. I broke down in tears during investigation, for instance...

I loved how my 'favouriteness' was constantly changing. First I loved Mel and adored WhiteHairedGirl, then I very much liked Merchant, then Maria was my favourite, then Giselle, then Morgana, then Michelle, then Morgana again and so on.
I love them all. Well, almost. I hated Nellie in first chapter and don't really have any fondness of Jacopo (ugh, why is he the one with 'romantic' connection to Morgana? :< They'll probably have their own story in fandisc, sigh... But maybe I will like him in that. Who knows, it's FataMorgana.)
But if I would must choose one character I would love to read more about I would pick Maria. She's just perfect mixture of crazy, assertive, strong and funny. No-nonsense, no airheadness, no politeness, just pure enjoyment. (Did I mentioned that I have  thing for short haired girls? :ph34r: )

Spoiler

SZ4M7MF.jpg

:wub:

Also - I just got reminded by the characters section on vndb. Habi was completly omitted in Extras. :< 

EDIT: While looking for this Marias' screen I randomly found this:

Nice :D

Been meaning to ask, how scary is this Vn? I'm not good with horror stuff but i am interested in Fata Morgana for it's other qualities. What kind of horror elements does it utilise, for example; flashing disturbing imagery, scary faces rushing at your screen, continuous creepy ambience etc.

I'll appreciate any helpful remarks about that, thank you.

Just now, DharmaFreedom said:

Been meaning to ask, how scary is this Vn? I'm not good with horror stuff but i am interested in Fata Morgana for it's other qualities. What kind of horror elements does it utilise, for example; flashing disturbing imagery, scary faces rushing at your screen, continuous creepy ambience etc.

I'll appreciate any helpful remarks about that, thank you.

If darkness or traumatic events or violence will keep you from playing a game, this game isn't yours. The ambience can certainly be creepy at times but there are no jumpscares.

Vague but major spoilers:

Spoiler

Rape, extended abuse, transphobia, brutal scenes, torture

I would say its not a horror at all.
It's just a dark story with really 'heavy' themes, as mentioned in Funyarinpas' spoiler. 
But nothing really 'creepy', for me at last. It was dark, dense, intense, overwhelming with it's atmosphere - yes, but I was not scared even for a second. Also definitelly no jump scares, no scary imagery.

If you watch movies, probably Guillermo del Toros' Crimson Peak would be closest. Gothic, dark romance story in delicate 'horrorish' setting. 

4 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

I loved how my 'favouriteness' was constantly changing. First I loved Mel and adored WhiteHairedGirl, then I very much liked Merchant, then Maria was my favourite, then Giselle, then Morgana, then Michelle, then Morgana again and so on.
I love them all. Well, almost. I hated Nellie in first chapter and don't really have any fondness of Jacopo (ugh, why is he the one with 'romantic' connection to Morgana? :< They'll probably have their own story in fandisc, sigh... But maybe I will like him in that. Who knows, it's FataMorgana.)
But if I would must choose one character I would love to read more about I would pick Maria. She's just perfect mixture of crazy, assertive, strong and funny. No-nonsense, no airheadness, no politeness, just pure enjoyment. (Did I mentioned that I have  thing for short haired girls? :ph34r: )

Reveal hidden contents

SZ4M7MF.jpg

:wub:

Spoiler

Maria's probably my favorite character that isn't one of the main three. She has an incredibly striking personality and is an absolute blast to watch. Also- every time one of my friends reads chapter three, they always end up feeling personally betrayed. I don't think I've ever seen a character with quite the same effect, especially to that degree.

You can probably tell by my avatar, but my favorite character is Michel.

Spoiler

He's pretty unorthodox as a character and he's my favorite protagonist in a VN by a long shot. Chapter 7 was really powerful for me, even though I think a lot of people like it less than the others due to its pacing... but it cast a completely different light on Michel (and to a lesser degree) Giselle, and reading chapters 5 and six after knowing what happens in seven makes you really respect just how detailed and nuanced the VN as a whole is. Also, even though most people reading Fata wouldn't have gone through most of what Michel had, his character arc is still incredibly relateable.

And... the chapter may or may not have made me cry.:yumiko:

@DharmaFreedom, the VN can be pretty dark, but as a whole it's much more somber and sometimes depressing than scary. If you're interested you should definitely pick it up, I think it's the sort of thing that you will like if you think you will, if that makes any sense.

I am currently at the third door (Pig Iron Manor) and I feel something fishy about the mansion.

Spoiler

In the first door it seemed that the action is happening in Europe. In the second door I can't really tell if it's changed or not but in the third door the maid said that the house is placed in the New World (which means America).

Am I missing something or is it indeed moving? Firstly I wanna know if it will be explained further in the story. If yes, please don't spoil it. If not, then give some insight about this situation to a fellow in need xD.

When I read someone complains about how is the game difficult to understand or the atmosphere is too dark to swallow or the plot is so confusing, I just want to scream: "Come on, people, it's an adult game with adult themes" and not some pretentious moege with fappable anime girls. It's not torture machine, it's extremely compelling and deep story with a live characters. The House in Fata Morgana is the kamige we don't often get in our lands and minding sales numbers don't deserve to get at all.

You know how one tells that visual novels are actually books with images and music? In 99% cases it's bullshit. I would never compliment Grisaia or Clannad if I had them in the book format. Yes, they both has good scenarios but not the writing. The Novectacle's game is something else: elegant and inspirational. I'm writer myself and I see how much work the author put in the original idea to make a literary masterpiece.

From the first encounter with the maid to the last spoken words I'v never been lost, disappointed or frustrated. I know why many players or readers hate flashbacks but in this case it's necessary evil to orchestrate the grand performance in the cursed mansion.

So many things I want to say but it's so hard not to spoil important things. Remember this, it's not scary or horror story. It's not especially traumatic or cringe worthy. It's not Berserk kinda suffering. It's a

Spoiler

love story that would break your heart but lift your spirit.

I'm with Tay in his begging’s. Try it now, buy it now, you'll never regret. And if you will, then it means you're still not grown enough. Go back in couple of years when you can appreciate such sophisticated work of art.

As for the real shortcomings of the game, there are only three:

1) Cheap backgrounds (what you expect from tiny doujin circle?)

2) 800x600 (Yeah, kirikiri is a crap engine)

3) Modern slang in some parts (nobody says "Ok" in 1099, ok?)

As for why vocal in the divine OST is Portuguese. What did you study in school? Pokemones? From the sixteenth to the nineteenth century, Portugal was a huge colonial empire. Read about Treaty of Tordesillas in Wiki. If I'll have chance to go back in those times, I think I can definitely hear some similar songs and instrumental compositions like in the soundtrack. I wish the characters would speak Portuguese or Spanish or French. I can imagine the great gothic movie based on the game's script. With Del Toro in the director's seat.

Sorry for my emotional escapade, but the game is worth it. Bless MG for bringing this incredible visual novel to us. And for God Sake, support it!