The House in Fata Morgana discussion

akaritan

Hi~ I finished Fata Morgana recently, and I absolutely adored it. Both the sprite artwork and the soundtrack are some of the best, if not the best, that I've seen in a visual novel. The story was also wonderful, and I was more blown away the more I read. Has anyone else finished it yet? I haven't heard it talked about very much at all, which is a bit depressing to me, so I decided to make a thread.

I wasn't really impressed by Fata Morgana. The art is 'different', but that doesn't make it good. The OST has a few good tracks but is also overrated and full of 'atmospheric', forgettable tracks. I'm not really sure why so many people like it so much.

8 minutes ago, Dionysus42 said:

I wasn't really impressed by Fata Morgana. The art is 'different', but that doesn't make it good. The OST has a few good tracks but is also overrated and full of 'atmospheric', forgettable tracks. I'm not really sure why so many people like it so much.

Maybe... the story and the writing???

I have my doubts that I'd like this title. I do like gothic stuff, but I read a synopsis about the story somewhere that it's pretty much tragedy from start to finish. Or to be more precise, apparently a bunch of tyrannic dudes have their way with a few poor victims the whole time, turning the whole thing into an endless abuse and bullying festival.

However, I'm more the guy who wants to strike back instead of sucking it all up the whole time. It's also okay if you're some kind of neutral investigator and solve the mysteries like in KnS since you can keep some distance to the tragedies. But being forced to experience all the misery in detail by reading all the tragedies of the different ages would just piss me off and make me depressed.

44 minutes ago, WinterfuryZX said:

How is the pronunciation, is it good?

I was somewhat curious about this myself, so I went to take a look.

As the music is very atmospheric all throughout, it doesn't seem like the sort of music where you'd be able to make out what's being said even if it were pronounced properly.  The vocals are used more like instruments, making noise.

EDIT: With Decay pointing me in the right direction, I can now confirm the Portuguese sounds about as good as you'd expect, assuming your expectations were beyond modest. Sometimes one can make out what's being said -- that's already pretty good for Japanese people.

What this whole thing succeeds at, though, is making me wonder why the hell this title has Portuguese vocals in the first place.

28 minutes ago, Tiagofvarela said:

As the music is very atmospheric all throughout, it doesn't seem like the sort of music where you'd be able to make out what's being said even if it were pronounced properly.  The vocals are used more like instruments, making noise.

EDIT: With Decay pointing me in the right direction, I can now confirm the Portuguese sounds about as good as you'd expect, assuming your expectations were beyond modest. Sometimes one can make out what's being said -- that's already pretty good for Japanese people.

What this whole thing succeeds at, though, is making me wonder why the hell this title has Portuguese vocals in the first place.

An artistic choice I suppose. The VN has stories taking place in different locations (they're all in the West) and choosing Portuguese vocals works better than Japanese in that particular case. There is also some Latin and one song is in French.

But the end result is just outstanding and that's what matter. I never heard a soundtrack this good since Umineko.

1 hour ago, Tiagofvarela said:

a lot of stuff in umineko has some hefty italian stuff in it, while I havent read it, im pretty sure it has something to do with stuff that the VN takes its inspiration from. Portuguese litterature for example

uminekoxItaly stuff example

17 minutes ago, Kawasumi said:

a lot of stuff in umineko has some hefty italian stuff in it, while I havent read it, im pretty sure it has something to do with stuff that the VN takes its inspiration from. Portuguese litterature for example

...Might want to tag that.

21 minutes ago, Kawasumi said:

Extreme quality writing for a Japanese, with complex use of subjunctive mood. Pronunciation is not exceptional though.

Just now, WinterfuryZX said:

Extreme quality writing for a Japanese, with complex use of subjunctive mood. Pronunciation is not exceptional though.

true, Akiko Shigata knows a shit ton of language (about 6 if I remember correctly)

but pronunciation will always be tough when you dont live in a country where you listen to the language everyday

4 hours ago, Nerathim said:

Qualifying atmospheric tracks as forgettable is a blasphemy. And there are like, more than 20 songs in glorious Portuguese, that's quite a lot.

was that portuguese? It isn't, I guess. I'm brazilian, and even though some words are recognizable, I thought it was Italian or French

edit: listening to Giselle, I have to admit it is indeed Portuguese, but the Portuguese "version", not brazilian :v

2 hours ago, Kawasumi said:

true, Akiko Shigata knows a shit ton of language (about 6 if I remember correctly)

but pronunciation will always be tough when you dont live in a country where you listen to the language everyday

Use of italian in japanese media is usually cringeworthy at best. Umineko is exceptionally good for their standard.

5 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

Well, there's another reason for the list of reasons I'm not touching this game with a 10 ft pole. :sachi:

My sincere sympathies. :P When I heard Magneto speaking in my Polish in new X Men movie I laughed out loud. And so was whole theater. So yeah, I really feel you on this. :D