Walkure Romanze translation please?

Zarkkill

I actually liked Walkure Romanze quite a bit even if it had its issues. In the genre of ero-moeges there isn't much that beats it. Not only the unique jousting theme, but also the simple fact that it has a cast of young adults instead of the usual bunch of elementary school kids makes it stand out quite a bit. Especially with a real kick-ass heroine like Celia and a cool protagonist like Takahiro.

Unfortunately, not everything was gold either with Aya being one of the most annyoing heroines ever written and Celia's and Noel's routes being pretty much the only good ones. Things improved in the More & More fan disc though, which was IMHO better than the main title.

Would probably sell like crazy if it would get an official translation.

20 minutes ago, Aei said:

I find it very controversial to pay people if you take the case of fan translators, given that the localization is not official at all and pretty much illegal.

Not really. So long as you don't try to *sell* the final translation patch - that's illegal. There's nothing inherently illegal about paying someone to translate text, or to make a game mod. And if you legally paid for a copy of the game, you can freely modify it for your own enjoyment if you can - you have that limited license right. It's the distribution - you try and sell that patch and then you've got problems. Otherwise, you'd never have any game modifications, and clearly those are abundant in all video games, not just translations for visual novels. That's why every translation patch Fuwanovel has ever linked has only been offered as free (to the best of my knowledge, anyway).

In other words, I like the synopsis and look of a Japanese visual novel, so I buy a copy and want it translated. I can pay Fuwanovel Member A to translate the text from Japanese to English. And I can pay Fuwanovel Member B to use that to make a game mod so the text reads in English. And it is legal for me to use that mod so I can enjoy the game in English. What I can't do is take that patch and make a thread to all Fuwanovel Members saying "Pay me $10 and you can have the English patch to this Japanese Visual Novel." That's the illegal part.

Nope actually, you don't have the right to edit the game under the copyright laws in the first place, it's just that they don't bother the trouble to stop you most of the times.

That is not to be confused with modding which can be allowed/tolerated for somes games.

As for vns, that's more like prevent them to do a succeful official tl if they want to one day (most people don't buy something they already read).

If we had rights to edit those games, C & D wouldn't even be a thing.

On 03.06.2016 at 11:34 PM, Aei said:

I find it very controversial to pay people if you take the case of fan translators, given that the localization is not official at all and pretty much illegal.

And fan translating is a double edged sword, because it can make a title less likely to be licensed; i saw Peter pain from JAST say something close to that in JAST forums.

I think a title like Walkure romanze would be better officially translated and released than fan translated.

Then it would be better to write on Jast/Sekai forums, asking to license the game, no?

• 3 months later...
57 minutes ago, timejumper said:

God I wish some TL group would pick this series up. It seems to have a cult following, so why do other crappy nukige's keep getting picked up instead with just as long/many H scenes?

It's most likely more a problem of Ricotta not being interested in a western release of their titles, than English publishers not being interested in them.

• 3 months later...

There were other two teams that were working on that project and in some other languages too, tho I can't find any more news about them. I guess one team closed their operations recently and I can't find the other one sadly :/ But here are some of the many (around 40) pics I got from their progress on their site back then if you are interested:

Noel / Celia / Akane / Mio / Bertille

PD: Still looking for that team.

On 6/3/2016 at 1:49 PM, Valmore said:

Not really. So long as you don't try to *sell* the final translation patch - that's illegal. There's nothing inherently illegal about paying someone to translate text, or to make a game mod. And if you legally paid for a copy of the game, you can freely modify it for your own enjoyment if you can - you have that limited license right. It's the distribution - you try and sell that patch and then you've got problems. Otherwise, you'd never have any game modifications, and clearly those are abundant in all video games, not just translations for visual novels. That's why every translation patch Fuwanovel has ever linked has only been offered as free (to the best of my knowledge, anyway).

In other words, I like the synopsis and look of a Japanese visual novel, so I buy a copy and want it translated. I can pay Fuwanovel Member A to translate the text from Japanese to English. And I can pay Fuwanovel Member B to use that to make a game mod so the text reads in English. And it is legal for me to use that mod so I can enjoy the game in English. What I can't do is take that patch and make a thread to all Fuwanovel Members saying "Pay me $10 and you can have the English patch to this Japanese Visual Novel." That's the illegal part.

Yes, really.  Yeah, yeah, I know, total necro (even though the thread itself was necroed by someone else I'm still replying to a 6 month old post), and I've posted things like this before.  But it bears repeating.  People need to understand the way the law works.

Distribution means just that, distribution.  Whether you charge for it, or distribute it for free, it's still distribution.  You are (probably) correct in that you can pay people to translate a VN for you if you want to read it.  (It's arguble, but probably okay.  I'm not actually a lawyer so I don't want to get too far into the weeds.)  But the instant you spread that patch around, even for free, you've broken the law.  And the people you paid have also broken the law.  The international treaties that define how copyright works specifically include translation rights.

Mods are tolerated.  You do not have the legal right to make a mod against the will of the makers/publishers of the original game.  The games that have vibrant mod communities, have them either because the publisher has explicitly published some kind of "mod license" that gives modders permission to mod the game, or because they have chosen to voluntarily not enforce their rights, either because they think mods are cool, or because they think the mods help their bottom line.  Just try releasing a mod for Skyrim where you have to (let's say) have sex with, then kill and eat, children in order to win the game, and see how long before Bethesda "asks" you to take it down.

Similarly, basically all fan patches are illegal.  There are a couple of reasons nobody actually gets in trouble.  One, most Japanese companies don't even know about them.  Two, some don't care, since most patches require owning a legit copy.  Three, the ones that care will have a very hard time suing in a foreign country to enforce their copyrights.  Four, to my knowledge, no group has ever ignored a C&D.  Five, once you win, what are you going to collect?  These groups have no money to pay any judgement.

Sooner or later, some fan translation outfit will eventually get an official C&D, and they will say "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" and release the patch anyway.  They will be asking to be sued.  Whether they will actually get sued, who can say?  But there is no doubt that it is against the law.

• 6 years later...

Never thought I would necroing this thread seven years later, moreso seeing that I asked the mods to lock this thread (And mentioned that post as my last post here) lol. Anyway just in case anyone who've been waiting for this and yet somehow not following VN news for years, now you can play Walkure in English because we have full translation patch released last August by fan translator (The newer one). Have fun in case anyone still not playing this yet.

Edited by littleshogun