The Men of Yoshiwara: Ohgiya Review Discussion

solidbatman

48 minutes ago, Tyrael said:

Nice!

Will Sayuri be doing more work for us in the future? Might be nice to have someone with a lot of knowledge about the otome genre on board :illya:

My research shows there are like ten otome games in existence in English :P But if she wants to, then perhaps. 

4 hours ago, solidbatman said:

My research shows there are like ten otome games in existence in English :P But if she wants to, then perhaps. 

A lot of android to PC ports are starting to happen by Dogenzaka Lab. They released Pub Encounter on the 13th of April this year (which I'm told is kinda creepy,), Men of Yoshiwara - Ohgiya on the 20th of April this year, which has just been reviewed (not to be confused with Men of Yoshiwara - Kikuya, the prequel you don't really need to read,) Destinty's Princess: A War Story, a love story on the 6th of April 2016, and My Secret Pets on the 11th of May 2016.

This doesn't venture into the scary mobile scene, where you have Voltage and their 30 or more otome novels (well technically it is, because Dogenzaka are just porting stuff I believe) http://koi-game.voltage.co.jp/en/lineup/novel.html

6 hours ago, Rooke said:

This doesn't venture into the scary mobile scene, where you have Voltage and their 30 or more otome novels (well technically it is, because Dogenzaka are just porting stuff I believe) http://koi-game.voltage.co.jp/en/lineup/novel.html

What Dogenzaka are porting are their own games on mobile, I believe, so Voltage doesn't have any huge overlap. There's also NTT Solmare Corp, who got some Otomate titles originally released for other consoles, like Toki no Kizuna (PSP game), Nise no Chigiri (PSP/PC game) and Hiiro no Kakera 4 (PSP), as well as their own lineup... Mobile otome is kinda intense. 

Anyway, the review! It was good! Nice to see what other people thought of the game!~ I'd have been a lot harsher even though I'm ultimately also enjoying it depending on the route, so the amount of balance in the review is greatly appreciated (like: oh, yeah, I do like those things!)...  I agree with the review in that the art is definitely the game's biggest asset, and that the music is definitely the game's biggest liability. Takes me out of the scene each time. Really cringy and awkward (I will also note that in addition to the problems noted in the review, a few of the songs don't loop well. At all. And they're the more common songs. Yeah...).... The story is.... well, none of it's new or ambitious so far. Couldn't stand Ageha's route, but the other 3.5 I've read are good-decent. It's basically something to wind down with, although they attempt a looot of drama, so it's kinda like seeing a soap opera, I guess...? Everything's the biggest deal in the world sort of thing. I also thought the main character had a bit more of a personality than the reviewer did, but those are opinions I guess. It's probably not good that someone can even think that about the main character, so the point really does stand. No Musashi route, though. That's a shame. I keep hoping he's a hidden route but I doubt it. He's the Best Guy, too...

I hope to read more from Sayuri~ I... actually don't know too many otome game reviewers that don't summarize the routes (although I can admit I haven't looked for any), so...

Thanks everyone who thought I did a good job, since English is not my first language I was really insecure about it.

19 minutes ago, Lambda said:

Anyway, the review! It was good! Nice to see what other people thought of the game!~ I'd have been a lot harsher even though I'm ultimately also enjoying it depending on the route, so the amount of balance in the review is greatly appreciated (like: oh, yeah, I do like those things!)...  I agree with the review in that the art is definitely the game's biggest asset, and that the music is definitely the game's biggest liability. Takes me out of the scene each time. Really cringy and awkward (I will also note that in addition to the problems noted in the review, a few of the songs don't loop well. At all. And they're the more common songs. Yeah...).... The story is.... well, none of it's new or ambitious so far. Couldn't stand Ageha's route, but the other 2.5 I've read are good-decent. It's basically something to wind down with, although they attempt a looot of drama, so it's kinda like seeing a soap opera, I guess...? Everything's the biggest deal in the world sort of thing. I also thought the main character had a bit more of a personality than the reviewer did, but those are opinions I guess. It's probably not good that someone can even think that about the main character, so the point really does stand. No Musashi route, though. That's a shame. I keep hoping he's a hidden route but I doubt it. He's the Best Guy, too...

I hope to read more from Sayuri~ I... actually don't know too many otome game reviewers that don't summarize the routes (although I can admit I haven't looked for any), so...

I liked this game too, even with all it's problems I enjoyed it. The art really was the game most standing point, it's a shame that there are so few CGs in this game tho, I would love if there was at least one more CG for each guy, but that just me being greed, rofl. I didn't expect this game to have a good story or anything too, since I played the other Yoshiwara Game I kinda knew what I was getting myself into, and to tell you the truth even so I was really surprised by Ohgiya, aside from two characters the other three had interesting routes, imo. 

About the protagonist, I don't know if it was just me who had problem with her. I think because the first route I played she was really duty driven and thought a lot about what she had to do, being the daughter of a "rich" family and all, I thought she would be like that in all the routes, cause I really liked how she acted in this particular route. Maybe I exaggerated a little, but I really didn't like how she would be so selfish and kinda childish in other routes, I don't know (/●◔∀◐●)/ Maybe I shouldn't expect a good Heroine from a mobile port too.

The music is my biggest problem with all these Dogenzaka Lab otome games, they get repetitive so fast and makes me want to mute the game and listen to Llamas screaming instead. If they could at least transition the tracks smoothly it would help A LOT (imo, of course). But then again, shouldn't expect too much since it's a mobile port ( ´_ゝ`)

Musashi was indeed the best guy and I still doesn't understand why he doesn't have a route??? Like, if the whole purpose of the protag going to Yoshiwara was to get pregnant she could do just fine with Musashi (/●◔∀◐●)/ Guess it's something cultural about the island or something like that, I gave up trying to understand what's the deal with all the "There's no man in this island" thing. 

And I didn't know if it was a good idea to summarize the routes, I was thinking if I had to do that or not... So I decided to try and don't spoil anything about the game, don't know if it was the right choice or not, lol

36 minutes ago, kumayu said:

And I didn't know if it was a good idea to summarize the routes, I was thinking if I had to do that or not... So I decided to try and don't spoil anything about the game, don't know if it was the right choice or not, lol

It was :P 

9 minutes ago, kumayu said:

Snip? Snip.

It really reads well in English, so you don't have to worry about that. I also believe that reviews that don't summarize the routes are better, too. Definitely the right choice, cause people can just read the routes themselves... I'm actually really bad at  spoiling myself so those types of reviews tempt me too much to just read  the spoilers OTL. I'll keep the music thing in mind if it's a common thing with Dogenzaka Lab... it's a huge minus!

Which routes did you find not interesting? I'm curious about how our tastes match up~

Yeah, the CG count was so few, and so many of them border NSFW that I wouldn't be able to turn them into my laptop's wallpaper or anything, which is a real shame~ They are really pretty~ I could've used a few more with the guys solo. It's normally, like, one CG with them solo...

Re: protag-chan, I'm just finding her going

Spoiler

"I have to do my duty" -> "I can't do my duty!!!" -> "Have to do my duty....... but I'm not sure I wanna..." -> "Maybe I don't have to do my duty! Or maybe it isn't actually a duty!"

is pretty consistent. ...Although the fact that I just typed out what I believe is her entire character arc in every route right there is proooobably a bad thing. And she definitely had more sass in Gakuto's route than the other 2.5 I've read so far, although I feel like with Gakuto's personality, kinda justified.

I know, right? Musashi was greaaat~ I also didn't understand why she had to go looking when there was a man right there!  And so many hints that 

Spoiler

they could have a deeper relationship. Like, he even gets jealous, I'm pretty sure, in at least one route. And he's always looking out for the heroine... :') Best guy. The answer was right  there, all along.

Also, I love the fact that I remember no names from this other than Ageha, whose route I hated and made me almost drop this before it got going, and Musashi, who doesn't have a route. D: 10/10 memory, me (I had to open the game to get Gakuto's name above...).

Hmm, I didn't like Ageha's route, there were a lot of things that made me want to just close the game and forget about it in his route... the other route I didn't really like was Gakuto. He was an okay character and I kinda liked him, but...

Spoiler

All that revenge crap was getting on my nerves. Not only that but right at the beginning the way he just says "I'm looking for my sister, she has a scar in her forehead" kinda throw me off, and then how his route goes where he just "I'M GOING TO KILL HER" going on and on. I don't think it was a bad back story, but it could have been handled better, imo and at least the protagonist was kinda good in this route. Oh yeah, there was the sex scene which made me cringe too, cause all the violence and negative feelings around it.

Yeah, in all these games from Dogenzaka there are so few CGs. It made me so mad that one CG from Takigawa's route was just a picture of a "Phoenix" like, I DON'T A CG OF THIS, ASDF. I get that there is a special meaning to the picture, but god dammit, we have only six CGs available and one of them had to be just a fuckin bird? ( ´_ゝ`)...

And yeah, pretty much that's how she goes every route, kinda off... It's more like she's scared, which is totally okay, but when she falls in love with one of the characters she just get nuts and doesn't care anymore about her responsibilities (/●◔∀◐●)/ But oh well, the series is called "Forbidden Romance" for a reason, rofl. I just wanted Kiyoha to handle her duty better instead of "FUCK OFF, I'M IN LOVE NOW" and see how she would deal with it. I kinda saw that in one of the routes and she pissed me off, because she was (kinda?) selfish in this route, but then again, maybe it's just me having problems with her ( ゚∀゚)

Yeah, the whole deal with Musashi and this island, I still doesn't get it ( ´_ゝ`)... Musashi had a potential to have a really good route, asdf

Spoiler

The young lady of a prestigious family falling in love with her servant?! That would be so cool to see! I would love to see the two of them struggling to hide their feelings ;; Musashi suffering because he has to see the protagonist trying to be with one of the man from Yoshiwara just to have a child and she trying her best to fulfill her duty. But in the end the two of them would see that they couldn't be with anybody else and they would escape to the mainland and be happy there with all the technology. That's is at least how I would like to see, rofl  ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)