Love Sweets English Release Announced.

Decay

4 hours ago, Codesterz said:

Well to be fair the western publishing companies rarely choose VNs that are at least half way decent. I can only see this as an upgrade.

Yeah, okay, but this is Love Sweets, a VN that looks unremarkable even by moege standards.

10 hours ago, Erogamer said:

To me this is a bit disturbing. First Frontwing and now Moonstone doing in house translations? Where does that leave western publishing companies? Are they going to eventually be ditched and forced to close up shop?

I can't sympathise with this sentiment. As unfortunate as this is, this sentiment reeks of people having a soft spot for the companies that have existed so far. While we owe them an awful lot, it does not mean that this is a sustainable business model in the long term. Assuming the original VN company does a good job of localising it to English, and it becomes successful, they reap all the financial rewards from any English sales and they're more likely to localise all their future titles to English. The only ones that stand to lose from this are the companies that exist solely to localise Japanese material they didn't author in the first place. If the company creating the artwork in the first place gets the most profits from their own creation that's better for the industry at large, as it keeps them in business, and cuts out one middleman. That can only lead to more VNs and more localisation long term. I'm aware of how bad some attempts at localisation have been so far, but that doesn't mean it will always be that way. It's a learning process for them too.

3 hours ago, ittaku said:

I can't sympathise with this sentiment. As unfortunate as this is, this sentiment reeks of people having a soft spot for the companies that have existed so far. While we owe them an awful lot, it does not mean that this is a sustainable business model in the long term. Assuming the original VN company does a good job of localising it to English, and it becomes successful, they reap all the financial rewards from any English sales and they're more likely to localise all their future titles to English. The only ones that stand to lose from this are the companies that exist solely to localise Japanese material they didn't author in the first place. If the company creating the artwork in the first place gets the most profits from their own creation that's better for the industry at large, as it keeps them in business, and cuts out one middleman. That can only lead to more VNs and more localisation long term. I'm aware of how bad some attempts at localisation have been so far, but that doesn't mean it will always be that way. It's a learning process for them too.

Why is then that for almost all other Japanese games with a western release, there is a publisher? Personally I would rather not see MG go out of business. I know Jast won't because visual novels have become a side thing for them. SP, heh I don't really care.

19 hours ago, bigfatround0 said:

I doubt the translation will be shit. Moonstone has experience selling their stuff in the western market and they probably know what to do and what not to do. I bet they got some of MG's staff to translate it. Wouldn't it be funny if the big countdown was for this? Everyone is expecting something major but watch it be some random moege.

Not sure how it works in the industry, but if MangaGamer hires translators as exclusive then their staff wouldn't be able to translate for other companies, especially ones they already have a working relationship with on a title they haven't picked up.

5 hours ago, novurdim said:

It's like you are still living in 2008

I'm fairly certain I'm living in 2016. Have you not looked at the upcoming releases for VNs from the western publishers? The only interesting looking VN MangaGamer is working on is Bokuten. Their other 14 upcoming VNs look uninteresting to me at least. Sumaga is the only interesting thing getting released by Jast USA and we have a few more centuries to wait before they finally release it. Sekai Project is void from this list for me as they have an apparent distaste for 18+ VNs. Which leaves us with Denpasoft. The only interesting things they are working on is the Grisaia sequels. Also please understand that this is all my own personal opinion.

5 hours ago, Decay said:

Yeah, okay, but this is Love Sweets, a VN that looks unremarkable even by moege standards.

I agree, but I feel like we are more likely to get Natsu no Iro no Nostalgia and Sakura no Mori translated this way. At the bare minimum we are likely to get them sooner. I feel like MangaGamer is more likely to release their other VNs such as Magical Marriage Lunatics, Demon Busters, and Ojou-sama to Himitsu no Otome first.

1 hour ago, Erogamer said:

Why is then that for almost all other Japanese games with a western release, there is a publisher? Personally I would rather not see MG go out of business. I know Jast won't because visual novels have become a side thing for them. SP, heh I don't really care.

It's happening with other Japanese games on Steam too.  The ease of self-publishing through digital distribution is what opened these doors.  Any company can get something through Greenlight and these Japanese publishers can hire the same contractors that localize the games so another publisher becomes a middleman that they can cut out in many cases.

7 hours ago, Codesterz said:

Have you not looked at the upcoming releases for VNs from the western publishers?

I did, of course. It's not quite fare to judge their upcoming localizations before the AX announcements but nonetheless.

Mangagamer: has just delivered two pretty high-profiile and/or well-known VNs (Tokyo Babel and Fata Morgana). The pipeline is a bit dry after the slew of late 2015/early 2016 releases but still has Da Capo 3, Supipara, Myth, Bokuten and especially extremely well regarded Himawari. 
Sekai: a whole mix of everything like Grisaia sequels, Ley Line, Tenshin Ranman, Chrono Clock, Maitetsu. Who knows how many of those will be released decently but still they probably won't exhaust everything.
JAST: well, not much outside Sumaga and Django, not to mention how the first one is often almost hated, but I don't think anyone expects a lot from them at this point.
PQube: actively dabbling in Science ADV series, I expect them to become a lot more active on the console VN market in the coming years.

Since the show season is only getting started, the list may look a bit sparse, but even now if all of the above are not even "half way decent" while companies like Moonstone can bring the "decent" ones after going solo than I can only note that you have quite an incredible taste. The situation with western "mediators" is improving year by year and I don't think that often barely readable efforts of the japanese companies will be able to adequately replace them soon.

5 minutes ago, novurdim said:

JAST: well, not much outside Sumaga and Django, not to mention how the first one is often almost hated, but I don't think anyone expects a lot from them at this point.

as far as i know django is currently on hiatus, for well.. reasons, such as the need of translators etc.

8 hours ago, Codesterz said:

I'm fairly certain I'm living in 2016. Have you not looked at the upcoming releases for VNs from the western publishers? The only interesting looking VN MangaGamer is working on is Bokuten. Their other 14 upcoming VNs look uninteresting to me at least. Sumaga is the only interesting thing getting released by Jast USA and we have a few more centuries to wait before they finally release it. Sekai Project is void from this list for me as they have an apparent distaste for 18+ VNs. Which leaves us with Denpasoft. The only interesting things they are working on is the Grisaia sequels. Also please understand that this is all my own personal opinion.

Well, SP = Denpasoft, so many of SP's titles will end up at Denpa. Even if your personal tastes don't align with what MG, SP, and JAST are putting out, you have to recognize that they are at least "halfway decent" and in fact large portions of the community are eagerly anticipating them. The lineup of official releases have been really quite great lately and looks to continue to be great. 

9 hours ago, Erogamer said:

Why is then that for almost all other Japanese games with a western release, there is a publisher? 

It doesn't sound like you're talking about just VNs here. Most Japanese games with a western release have a publisher to handle physical distribution. I'm sure marketing and translation are reasons also, but stuff like the Atelier games releasing on disc format on consoles, it's much easier to get a publisher for that.

The tide is turning in the VN industry because of digital distribution, imo. Why bother getting a publisher if you can just release on Steam? Much easier to just pay for translators in house and release yourself, maybe with a marketer.

8 hours ago, Decay said:

There will be an 18+ version with mosaics.

https://twitter.com/moonstone_twitt/status/738674427315916801 (NSFW)

considering there were all kinds of weird anomalia under imopara´s mosaics & them possibly not wanting to go the extra route of doing them again, it´s an understandable decision. even in case their artists refrained from doing such things in more recent games, it´s still no way near the apocalyptic horrors of heinous japanese devs forcing their self-aggrandising way of "cencoring" upon openminded(?) westeners like some make it out to be - mosaics or not, neither will the world go end from this, nor does it really cheapen ones reading experience.

edit: not to mention most of those die hard fans always being alot more vocal when anything mosaic-ish is involved, than concerned about a possible bastardisation translation-wise. just saying.

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Veshurik said:

Moonstone prepares the English site of Love Sweets.

Undedrstand? Undedrstand.

Cm1ea04XEAAnGVr.jpg

"highper" "speaksdialect"

Description doesnt sound like proper English either.

You can still understand it, though. :miyako:

hope they (incl. harukaze, debonosu etc) will all go bancrupt and burn in hell for trying to go solo without having the neccessary skills/staff to do so. there´s no need for companies to exist that value a quick buck higher than their own works worth, regardless of them having a great lineup, or not. feels like a joke when leaving your publisher, only to deliver literary goulash in return.

So, you guys recognize the line in the second screenshot here? https://twitter.com/moonstone_twitt/status/738674427315916801 (NSFW)

That's a way less engrishy version of the line at the top of that website image. I'm pretty sure it's the same line. So it seems like at the very least the in-game text is translated much better than the website. So maybe there's still a slight glimmer of hope.

To be honest, after the ChuSinGura 46+1 translation came out of nowhere despite their kickstarter being something pulled out of hell itself, I won't let something as small as this make me lose faith in these guys just yet. 

Hopefully the person who did this was someone outside of the actual translation team.

I hope that they not screwed up. Moonstone ignores me about the "fair of poor quality", Harukaze too. Okay, well, please. Well, it's not necessary.

When you are promoting your game with a terrible English, you need to understand what are you doing.

Because not only the text in game should be good, then all promo-materials (including web-sites, fliers etc.) too. It's a PR, oh my gosh. Why do they think they can thus save on advertising?

It's awful. 

How many years publishers on the West did a little steps... and now everything is pushed. 

I don't trust the knowledge of English at Japanese. Arrgh, I bombed, sorry.