VN translators on Twitter counting down

3 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

Why, speculating and hyping is half of the fun. ;)

I have nothing against Eustia, but I don't understand it's mass appeal at all. Somebody care to elaborate in few sentences why Eustia is so good?

Well, there are two points to consider. First, the title Eustia itself is a very highly rated and popular VN. Second, it's widely considered to be August's best title, and August isn't just some run of the mill VN company, they are one of the most popular VN developers in Japan. The only thing that's missing is a smash hit anime, otherwise they would be right up there with TypeMoon and Key.

If you take just Getchu as a measurement, they could be even considered THE most popular VN developer. Since 2003, they've released five individual VN titles which weren't just fan discs and every single one of them got a top five placement in the yearly Getchu Bishojo Game Awards:

2003 Tsuki wa Higashi ni Hi wa Nishi ni ~Operation Sanctuary~: 2nd Place

2005 Yoake Mae yori Ruri Iro na: 4th place

2007 Fortune Arterial: 1st place (Winner)

2010 Aiyoku no Eustia: 2nd place

2013 Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai: 1st place (Winner)

The only other company that won the Getchu awards two times is TypeMoon with their two Fate titles long ago. And August's sales rankings look even more scary. The are pretty much the 'incarnation' of mass appeal in the Japanese VN scene.

So they are not just a company that had a good run a decade ago *cough*Type Moon/Key/AkabeiSoft2*cough*, they are always at the top, be it 10 years ago, 5 years ago, or now. And if I would have to make a bet who'll win the Getchu awards 2016, I would make it on their upcoming title Sen no Hatou, Tsukisome no Kouki.

And that's why August is 'special' and why the 'August Curse' is so infamous - they are the only VN developer with such a pedigree that don't even have a single title fully translated because almost all of their titles have a fan translation that was started, but none of them ever got finished.

And what makes Eustia in particular even more special, is that it's also highly acclaimed by people who aren't really into moege but more into darker more serious stuff, since August is usually considered first and foremost a moege developer.

Interesting info about August there, ChaosRaven. About August anime adaptation, well it was quite mediocre and was grouped together with many harem anime iirc (And Yoake was also had off model in term of infamous cabbage), so of course they didn't became smash hit anime. But, I think if we talk about fan translation scene, the most interesting thing about August here would be 'August Curse'. And I'll post my rant about that from back before Anime Boston (Actually I wrote this as response to Mangagamer survey result about Aiyoku no Eustia).

... it was August game, which back at 2014 it was probably 'cursed' together with Yuzusoft that the translation will not finished fully. While Noble Works was fully translated back at Christmas mean the curse finally broken for Noble Works, for August game the curse was still persist. For the record, Yoake until now was still QC (Which mean the staff was QCing their cash flow and their need in the real life, and probably didn't QC Yoake AT ALL), Fortune Arterial translator was sick according to his last post before not updating it anymore (Terminal or not I didn't know, but probably is and therefore put more effort to recovery instead of translating it), and finally as for Daitoshokan I didn't know why the translator himself the translation was failed and stopped it, other than it probably related to the real life also I think. ...

For more opinion, I think August like to use same face model (Can't be help though, since it was the style from their main artist, Bekkankou). And about another user opinion, judging from the VNDB score, our Clephas think that August game was quite mediocre (It's his opinion, okay), but at least I knew that Aiyoku was regarded as good VN here. I think that's all my input about August (More like August curse though).

PS - For bonus, how about off-model cabbage that I said earlier from Yoake anime here.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Kawasumi said:

hopefully its a case of 1238895886504840879.JPG

It wouldnt make sense to localize KKK without DI lol.

I know DI has manyougana stuff in it maybe sanskrit as well, but I dont know for sure.

Hopefully it is. I don't know how they'll manage to do KKK because I have heard it's more difficult to read than Dies Irae.

29 minutes ago, XReaper said:

pretty sure he´s currently doing 2 different projects, with one of them being galge & the other not, so there´s also a pretty high chance that it´s about the latter, but who knows

My thing is that Conjueror used Dies Irae as his April Fools joke. The only reason that that would happen and it still turns out being Dies Irae is if Light allowed him to do that.

2 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

My thing is that Conjueror used Dies Irae as his April Fools joke. The only reason that that would happen and it still turns out being Dies Irae is if Light allowed him to do that.

i didnt mean conjurer there. its about steiner, who´s currently working on 2different projects, one being a galge and the other one not (might be a jrpg or suchalike). therefore it´s not unlikely that he could have meant the latter one.

Just now, XReaper said:

i didnt mean conjurer there. its about steiner, who´s currently working on 2different projects, one being a galge and the other one not (might be a jrpg or suchalike). therefore it´s not unlikely that he could have meant the latter one.

I was making the connection because Conjueror mentioned 4 capable translators on the secret project. There were 4 people counting down on Twitter. The other one might be related to the secret project, but that's speculation on my part.

1 hour ago, Scorp said:

Why people so obsessed with Dies Irae? I heard from trustworthy person that DI is boring and chuuni as hell.

Finally. Someone is here to set the record straight. You heard the man, Dies Irae is a boring piece of writing and shills played the VN community like a fiddle once again.

54 minutes ago, Nerathim said:

Finally. Someone is here to set the record straight. You heard the man, Dies Irae is a boring piece of writing and shills played the VN community like a fiddle once again.

holy fuck, my holyness im so sorry that I found this story interesting, pardon me that I dont follow your subjective opinion, I shall comply with your majesty at once

56 minutes ago, Nerathim said:

You forget that it's basically crack for people who love chuunige.

Also, you're saying this like your opinion is completely objective. It's really not.

2 hours ago, Scorp said:

Why people so obsessed with Dies Irae? I heard from trustworthy person that DI is boring and chuuni as hell.

I really don't know. Everybody I've seen are fapping over 'incredible prose', and I don't give jack shit about prose quality. Everything above atrocious is fine for me. Also - chuuni. Chuuni is boring, all those fights... Also I've read prologue for DI on youtube (translated by Gare) and it didn't hooked me up at all.

25 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

I really don't know. Everybody I've seen are fapping over 'incredible prose', and I don't give jack shit about prose quality. Everything above atrocious is fine for me. Also - chuuni. Chuuni is boring, all those fights... Also I've read prologue for DI on youtube (translated by Gare) and it didn't hooked me up at all.

Eh, don't quote me on that but I heard most of DI's fights weren't all that great except for the top tier characters', probably from someone on r/vn's discord channel. :P

AFAIK, DI's hype is mainly due to the amazing cast it supposedly has.

1 hour ago, BookwormOtaku said:

Well for me at least, an action story where it's "Heroes vs Nazis" is always worth a look  :sacchan:

Problem is that "action" is a very slow action (almost stop motion, lol), you have to read for 20 minutes before people do a move. You can watch the available translations from Gare and Conjueror for proofs. It is really overpowered pathos with zero movements and that usual chuuni trope about protag being beaten to death, but after he gain power and kicks ass... Or maybe not. Anyway, this is not the action in its core, this is set of arty-crafty dialogues/monologues, which are there more for Masada's verbal exercises rather than for any other reason. But no doubt someone will like it. Even Conjueror told, that Dies Irae would be most likely have a lukewarm reception, because it is nowhere near what people expect (and they expect something like Fate/Stay Night usually, just with Good Guys vs Nazi instead of Shirou Team vs Bad Guys).

1 hour ago, Kawasumi said:

holy fuck, my holyness im so sorry that I found this story interesting, pardon me that I dont follow your subjective opinion, I shall comply with your majesty at once

1 hour ago, VirginSmasher said:

You forget that it's basically crack for people who love chuunige.

Also, you're saying this like your opinion is completely objective. It's really not.

Sarcasm isn't really your strong point, huh? I thought I made it obvious enough.