Taisho x Alice Localisation shenanigans

There's been some real dodgy attempts at localisation start-ups recently and one of the worst attempts is by E2, who's bringing across the Taisho x Alice series for otome fans. Anybody interested in a summary of this mess should read the excellent article here: https://figurativelyspeaking.me/2016/05/31/taisho-x-alice-to-be-localized/

6-edit.jpg?w=1000

(image from linked page)

15 minutes ago, Nekolover said:

What did they plagiarise? 

They lifted character summaries and the story summary straight from a fan site without accreditation and without asking for permission. They since said they have gotten their own team to offer a unique translation, but it looks to have only been edited (and paraphrased,) and not retranslated.

This example of a non-translation doesn’t bode well for a company who has never translated anything before. It makes me question whether they actually have any in-house translators, or whether they intend to use the money they raise on kickstarter (yes, they’re going to kickstart/crowdfund) to go hunting for one.

Well, to be honest I didn't take much attention to this. But at least I still knew they should edit the 'heroin' text. I mean are we played as one of narcotic drug to get the prince became addicted to heroin or something like that. Joke aside, this type of typo shouldn't left there by professional company of course (Although I may doing same mistake in the future). Other than very major typo, no much comment here.

Pretty sketchy stuff.

That said, the internet does have a tendency to turn bungled corporate communications into conspiracy theories. I wouldn't be surprised if this all turned out to be totally legit, but just horribly bungled by one or two individuals who lack experience fronting a publicity campaign. It's certainly not always the case, but people are much more likely to simply make a mistake (and often a big one) than they are to be outright malicious. Here's to hoping this all turns out for the best and we find ourselves with a new contender in the localization game.

Also, @Rooke, I'm very curious what you're watching that brought this to your attention, since Fuwa is so quiet when it comes to anything otome - I'd be delighted to find some Twitter accounts to follow to keep abreast of the news in that sphere.

17 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Also, @Rooke, I'm very curious what you're watching that brought this to your attention, since Fuwa is so quiet when it comes to anything otome - I'd be delighted to find some Twitter accounts to follow to keep abreast of the news in that sphere.

Meru retweeted it, and I'm currently stalking following (which means the same thing, really) her on Twitter.