Visual Novel Manager

Ragtime

Someone on Reddit put together a brilliant piece of software called visual novel manager. It allows you to organize and sort your VN collection much more easily than just using windows explorer. It works very well as it is, but it is missing a few features which would make it perfect (which will hopefully be implemented in future versions.)

all credit goes to Reddit user: binary_flame.

The link, for those interested. It is open source, so those of you who know how to program can look through the source code and make sure it is clean.

It crashes all the time, if I try to login or add a vn, or literally do anything...it's really unstable right now 

using win 7 64 bits

Spoiler

Nombre del evento de problema:    CLR20r3
  Firma del problema 01:    VisualNovelManager.exe
  Firma del problema 02:    1.0.0.0
  Firma del problema 03:    574bfa7e
  Firma del problema 04:    mscorlib
  Firma del problema 05:    4.0.30319.34209

Spoiler

Firma con problemas:
  Nombre del evento de problema:    CLR20r3
  Firma del problema 01:    VisualNovelManager.exe
  Firma del problema 02:    1.0.0.0
  Firma del problema 03:    574bfa7e
  Firma del problema 04:    mscorlib
  Firma del problema 05:    4.0.30319.34209
  Firma del problema 06:    534894cc

crash crash crash crash xD

Yeah, after using it for a while I'm getting constant crashes. Hopefully the creator fixes the issues as this has a lot of potential to be pretty useful.

5 hours ago, tahu157 said:

Only complaint I have so far is that a VNDB ID number is required. If I wanted to add something like Demon Master Chris I wouldn't be able to.

There is another piece of software which works with dlsite RJ codes which was put together by Lux on the ULMF forums. It isn't open source but I've been using it for over a year now without any issues. It is far more polished than the VN manager but it only works for games with RJ codes, Demon Master Chris is one such game. So if you have a bunch of dlsite games (mostly RPGmaker with some VN's) this program will work well for you.

Hey, so creator of the visual novel manager here. So it seems that a few of you are having crashes when you try to add a vn or try to login on the last page. I'm trying to work on the issue. I have made a build that will hopefully log the issues when logging in order to find out where the issue is. Here is the build: https://mega.nz/#!iJtWwY4A!LW-Z36E6A442f3CLYLUwUhL3OfHMPFiFyFw3WQIT5bk

Also, it seems like some of you want to be able to add a game that isn't strictly a visual novel, or isn't on vndb.org. I'll be keeping that in mind for the future, and possibly add an option that doesn't require a VNDB id in order to login.

The DL site manager using RJ codes seems like a really interesting idea, but I haven't used DLsite at all or have found much information about the RJ codes. If someone would point me in the right direction for documentation or information on RJ codes, I would be more than happy to implement scraping folders using RJ codes.

If anyone has any suggestions/bugs/crashes, the best way to post them would be creating an issue on https://github.com/micah686/Visual-Novel-Manager/issues. Otherwise, either post in this thread, or send me a PM.

You should promote README.md some more. It took me a while to figure out that this is actually the only "website" for telling about what software you wrote. I actually spend a while trying to figure out more than "keeps track of your list of VNs".

I looked at the code and git log. The log is equally vague. Like reading the commit descriptions, I have no real clue to what changed in the important commits. Not critical when you have a one digit amount of revisions, but when they get 3-4 digit, you wish for really good descriptions and you might as well practice this now. You know how to code and will likely end up in a big project eventually where the git history will span a very long time. Good call on using git btw. Some people are like "I never used it before, so why now? I can just upload a zip file". Using git correctly and commit one feature at a time really helps if you break something, which used to work.

The code looks simple and often strait forward. However it has a tendency to be without comments. Also I can't find any documentation on overall structure. Figuring out anything overall about your code means downloading the whole thing and study the details from the ground to form an overall picture. Hopefully you have an overall picture of it yourself or it might be contributing to people crashing (issues sending data between files or something similar). An overall plan is a very good thing if you write this amount of code. It could also help testing blocks of code individually, which will help to track down bugs.

Looks like the VNDB API is being used heavily. That's a very good thing. It greatly reduce the server load on VNDB to send the same data this way than if you would crawl the web pages. When coding network software, be nice to the other end, particularly when it's a web server, which isn't your own. You did precisely what the VNDB faq asks you to do in a case like this (at least that is the impression from what I saw)

You should be able to filter on VNDB based on title. Adding by title rather than ID is doable, though it would be even better if you could activate the VNDB search on titles and aliases, including "contains" search and case insensitive. It could be a feature worth asking about in https://vndb.org/t3599

18 hours ago, Binary Flame said:

The DL site manager using RJ codes seems like a really interesting idea, but I haven't used DLsite at all or have found much information about the RJ codes. If someone would point me in the right direction for documentation or information on RJ codes, I would be more than happy to implement scraping folders using RJ codes.

I second this question. I haven't figured out the RJ codes either.

I didn't put a lot of details in the git messages since I was just updating the README.MD file. Any code edits I do, I try to write descriptions of what I added/removed/changed. I've been doing this for a while on my private gitlab repo. I'll try to add more comments in the code. I'll also consider adding filtering based upon title and aliases.

Also turns out that since the DL site manager uses .NET, I can extract the source code fairly easily from it(for research purposes only), and see how they implemented the RJ codes. So hopefully in the future I can implement RJ code scanning into my program.

• 9 months later...

So I am working on redoing my visual novel manager completely, this time hopefully with support for RJ codes from DLsite. If there is any other sites that have their own formatting for visual novels/eroge like DLsite, I'll work on trying to find a way to implement those into the program. Since the creator of the DLsite game manager released his source code, if there are any features that you like from that program, tell me, and I'll do my best to implement them. If anyone has any complaints of features about my previous program, things I should remove, or new ideas for it, please just leave a comment so I can try to work those into my new program. Hopefully, this new one won't crash so often.

Current Look(Design NOT final):

https://imgur.com/a/V5Vwo

Sorry for bumping an old thread