The developers of Shan Gui lost the right to publish the game they made

Nosebleed

I am baffled and saddened: http://steamcommunity.com/app/307050/discussions/0/357287304431021101/

I had been following this story for a while and it now seems to have reached its peak, with Magenta Factory (the developers of Shan Gui) giving up on publishing the game because they are unable to file a lawsuit against the guy who fucked them over. All problems that had happened before seem to also be related to this one guy.

And I thought Youtube was the site that had the most atrocious copyright policy ever, but I should have realized the DMCA system is an overall problem for every site.

So now these Chinese developers are forced to give up on a game they made because a guy kicked them all out of the team without authorization and they do not have the funds to fight in a court of justice. Regardless of whether the game is good or not, I think it's really sad to see a developer who just wanted to publish their game getting fucked over like this.

I know you can make the argument that "they should have known who to trust" but I find that not very compelling because it's usually pretty hard to know who's going to screw you over. And I'm sure the developers also placed their faith on Steam as a platform in case something went South, a choice which has clearly betrayed them now.

What do you guys think of this situation?

1 hour ago, Palas said:

This is absolutely terrible.

The worst thing is, it's not like anyone can do anything for the devs now. This kind of outrage tends to warrant some response from the community, yet there's nothing the community can do... is there? :Ç

Boycott the game, I guess?

8 minutes ago, Black Sands Entertainment said:

Its why the only person with power to kick people out should also be the person with the most invested.

I'm not sure how Steamworks functions, but I'm guessing for this person to work as a publisher they had to basically give him the same status as a developer or something similar. So they all had the same powers.
The idea was that all 3 were in on this together, I doubt they expected to get betrayed like this.

There's still hope Steam will help, but I doubt it since it's essentially a legal battle over who should own the game and Steam is not a court.

1 hour ago, Palas said:

This is absolutely terrible.

The worst thing is, it's not like anyone can do anything for the devs now. This kind of outrage tends to warrant some response from the community, yet there's nothing the community can do... is there? :Ç

Bullshit. Spread the word and awarness. Start a campaign, help the original creators gather enough money to file a lawsuit. Also, what does it mean the person responsible for this mess 'kicked' them out of the team without authorization? They don't have backup copies? Access to Google services they used? The guy, who fucked them all over has all the access and rights to the project at the moment, because he literally fired them all? Cause otherwise I can't see how such a scenario could even come to fruition. That aside, they should be more careful with picking people to their development team. Steam might not be a court, but that guy basically misused their services and they should react to that accordingly.

I'm at a loss for words, that's some bullshit right there. I feel sorry for the developers who poured their soul into making something just to have it stolen by some unscrupulous little vermin.

All that can be done is :

54 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

Spread the word and awarness. Start a campaign, help the original creators gather enough money to file a lawsuit

Give support to the rightful owners and developers of the game in question.

27 minutes ago, DarkZedge said:

All that can be done is : Give support to the rightful owners and developers of the game in question.

like buying their game via googleplay so they might still get sth out of it, leading to them possibly saving up some money to screw that one guy hard.

25 minutes ago, XReaper said:

like buying their game via googleplay so they might still get sth out of it, leading to them possibly saving up some money to screw that one guy hard.

That's a good idea reap. This all is such high level horse shit, if i had any hope in humanity left this kind of stuff would make it vanish in a heartbeat

4 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

I know you can make the argument that "they should have known who to trust" but I find that not very compelling because it's usually pretty hard to know who's going to screw you over. And I'm sure the developers also placed their faith on Steam as a platform in case something went South, a choice which has clearly betrayed them now.

It is an argument artists, authors, developers should pay close attention to. The world is full of stories about such people getting screwed over because of who they trusted, or what they signed. Who else is going to look out for you if it's not yourself? 

They signed an unknown entity as a publisher. As in, they signed an unknown entity to be someone that has an intimidating amount of control over their product. Why would you?

And one last thing. I'm going to have to, once again, question the need of a publisher. If all they're going to do is publish the game on Steam, something which is infinitely easier than it was a few years ago, and that's the sole basis of 'splitting things 3 ways' and giving him any sort of control, the I don't think that's a good business decision. I'd advise spending the couple of hundred bucks to apply for Steam Greenlight yourself and invest in a marketer instead. Publishers control distribution, so if you're just plonking it on Steam you don't need a Publisher.

Sure, I question their decision too, but I'm going to write this one off as an amateur group who's not knowledgeable on the Steam market trusting someone to help. Then they got betrayed by the guy and Steam as a platform is not helping them. That second part is what I believe to be the bigger issue.

Sure it was a bad decision, but I believe it's unfair for them to be out of options like this when they're clearly in the right. I mean, couldn't you classify this under fraud or something? 

To me saying they have nothing but themselves to blame is like yelling at an elderly lady who got scammed on the phone. I'm pretty sure they just didn't know better.

Oh my! But I'm still confused. How could that happened? Just how could that guy stole from the others all of their hard work? Before talking about trust, betrayal, and such, I'd like to know the chronology of this incident.