Do you watch let plays of VN on Youtube?

Nekolover

Honestly? No.

The thing with VN lets plays in specific is that it's essentially just someone reading a story to you, and I'd much rather just read the story myself at my own pace without someone's voice over it.

I understand some people might enjoy it, but i simply can't get into it. And the fact tons of Lets Players are just people who overreact to shit, it's even more unbearable. I don't need to hear someone to go "WTF Japan L0lz" 100 times.

Perhaps if the person speaking is someone that's trying to provide INTERESTING commentary that adds something to the story and not just lulz and memes i could watch it, but if it's like Lost Pause, I'd rather stab my eyes and ears with forks.

If I'm curious about a VN that lacks proper coverage, I'll watch the first little bit. Beyond that? No. It's irritating to not be able to control the pace of the clicks, and/or if the Youtuber is (obnoxious) talking during it.

Also, it depends if it's being respectful about how it does the LP - if it's a "full" LP, I won't have anything to do with it. To me it's a more accessible form of piracy - think about it, you don't need to torrent it or anything, so any john doe can jsut open up youtube and go through the whole story with zero effort.

I've done my share of torrenting of various titles I could not get locally, so I'm not gonna sit on a high-horse and act innocent - but piracy of officially localized titles can really hurt groups like MG, SP, and Jast. I avoid that.

I'd also like to mention how most VN LPs tend to just be people never actually attempting to discuss the story or the plot or the characters. Sure if you're playing NekoPara I understand there's not much to talk about, but I'd rather hear someone's serious thoughts on the game and the story than hear crappy jokes and silly faces being made for 20 minutes (or more if it's a full LP)

I'm not saying people have to be super stiff and 100% serious about this, but most of the ones I've seen seem to give 0 fucks about the story they're reading and just pass it off as "more weird vidya gaemz fr0m Japan!". If I wanted to see people being cringey I'd subscribe to buzzfeed's YouTube account or something.

I think VN LPs are only reasonable for people who aren't into the medium already to be honest. Because if they are VN fans, I don't think they care much to see people overreacting to a game that's probably pretty average/normal to the everyday fan. They're probably more interested in discussing actual elements of the story or something, and that's a thing most LPs never bother touching upon.

39 minutes ago, Nekolover said:

I watch Lost Pause. I mean that how I found out about Nekopara and bought it. -.- 

I've watched his playthrough of it as well. Ngl, I find him pretty funny. I had played it beforehand though, so I already had my own preconceptions and just let him do his thing; as Nosebleed just said, I think if I was watching him (or any other, for that matter) go through one first time around I'd probably get real pissed.

Never watched owt else though. It's nice to develop my own ideas of what characters meant by things, what they sound like etc.

1 hour ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

If I'm curious about a VN that lacks proper coverage, I'll watch the first little bit. Beyond that? No. It's irritating to not be able to control the pace of the clicks, and/or if the Youtuber is (obnoxious) talking during it.

Also, it depends if it's being respectful about how it does the LP - if it's a "full" LP, I won't have anything to do with it. To me it's a more accessible form of piracy - think about it, you don't need to torrent it or anything, so any john doe can jsut open up youtube and go through the whole story with zero effort.

I've done my share of torrenting of various titles I could not get locally, so I'm not gonna sit on a high-horse and act innocent - but piracy of officially localized titles can really hurt groups like MG, SP, and Jast. I avoid that.

I don't agree with the piracy comment.  I not going to get into it. People who think like this already have a brick wall in their minds about it. Regardless of any sensible argument.   

Sorta? I started watching a few VN LPs but didn't finish any. I usually look up the LPs of a few VNs before deciding which one to start, but actually watching all the way through would be pretty hard. Most of the time it's some guy with a $0.99 microphone struggling to read the Japanese names. They rarely add any commentary to the story or share their thoughts, it basically ends up being a crappy voiceover of the MC for the most part.

The only lets play of a visual novel I've actually enjoyed was the one Dodger (+Cry) did for Dandelion. Their commentary was absolutely hilarious and I feel that it gave off an entirely different vibe from the original game, so much so, that I still feel like I could still play Dandelion and not feel that my experience was completely spoiled by watching the lets play. 

Full lets plays of visual novels are a double edged sword, they can introduce visual novels to people that wouldn't have found them on their own, but they can also cause people to believe that they got the whole experience from watching the lets play, thus affecting overall sales in both a positive and a negative way. We'd need more concrete data to determine if the affect is more positive or negative, for example sales data from Xseed for Corpse Party before and after Pewdiepie played it; taking in account the average views for his LP.

I used to watch Lost Pause, not because of the VNs, but because I really enjoyed his commentary. Then the VNs really got on my nerves and Noble's commentary couldn't pull me through an entire series anymore. Plus, he never promotes anything with a good story and just goes for tits and ass VNs because they'll get him more views than something with a story.

2 hours ago, VirginSmasher said:

I used to watch Lost Pause, not because of the VNs, but because I really enjoyed his commentary. Then the VNs really got on my nerves and Noble's commentary couldn't pull me through an entire series anymore. Plus, he never promotes anything with a good story and just goes for tits and ass VNs because they'll get him more views than something with a story.

I don't agree but I get what you are saying.  That not really his fault thought. He only does full LP of VN that is allow full LP by the company. For example Grisaia. He only did like 5 Ep of those because that what the company allows him.  He can't do more of the serious stuff without getting hit by a copyright. 

4 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

I'd also like to mention how most VN LPs tend to just be people never actually attempting to discuss the story or the plot or the characters. Sure if you're playing NekoPara I understand there's not much to talk about, but I'd rather hear someone's serious thoughts on the game and the story than hear crappy jokes and silly faces being made for 20 minutes (or more if it's a full LP)

I'm not saying people have to be super stiff and 100% serious about this, but most of the ones I've seen seem to give 0 fucks about the story they're reading and just pass it off as "more weird vidya gaemz fr0m Japan!". If I wanted to see people being cringey I'd subscribe to buzzfeed's YouTube account or something.

I think VN LPs are only reasonable for people who aren't into the medium already to be honest. Because if they are VN fans, I don't think they care much to see people overreacting to a game that's probably pretty average/normal to the everyday fan. They're probably more interested in discussing actual elements of the story or something, and that's a thing most LPs never bother touching upon.

Well yes but that because is entertainment first for most Let players. Well again most Let players are  entertainment. That way the guy I watch are successful.  Not saying I wouldn't like a serious one but is more hard to do in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, VirginSmasher said:

He could easily do Kara No Shoujo. It's a really good VN that has many playthroughs on Youtube. The problem is it won't get him views from his fanbase of horny 13 year old weebs.

No, he can't . Last time I check that isn't allowed by the company.  Also, could I ask you not to call people weebs, please?  Like I trying to have a serious discussion here not judge people base on their taste because we think their taste are bad.  Like seriously please. Funimation Forum kill me with their elitism.   

1 minute ago, Nekolover said:

No, he can't . Last time I check that isn't allowed by the company.  Also, could I ask you not to call people weebs, please?  Like I trying to have a serious discussion here not judge people base on their taste because we think their taste are bad.  Like seriously please. Funimation Forum kill me with their elitism.   

If it isn't allowed, then why is there a full playthrough of the entirety of Kara No Shoujo on Youtube when I type in Kara No Shoujo? If Innocent Grey didn't want that kind of thing on Youtube, they would've removed it by now.

7 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

If it isn't allowed, then why is there a full playthrough of the entirety of Kara No Shoujo on Youtube when I type in Kara No Shoujo? If Innocent Grey didn't want that kind of thing on Youtube, they would've removed it by now.

If it's for smaller channels, it's usually more trouble than it's worth, or they just don't care except for the initial warning

Just now, Arcadeotic said:

If it's for smaller channels, it's usually more trouble than it's worth, or they just don't care except for the initial warning

I guess they're pretty lenient on that then, but if they really didn't want people playing Kara No Shoujo on Youtube, they would've taken that playthrough down.

7 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

I guess they're pretty lenient on that then, but if they really didn't want people playing Kara No Shoujo on Youtube, they would've taken that playthrough down.

It's probably just that Innocent Gray doesn't really care and MG is more focused on censoring the newer titles on Youtube

2 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

It's probably just that Innocent Gray doesn't really care and MG is more focused on censoring the newer titles on Youtube

They've let a Gahkthun and Tokyo Babel playthrough stay up and it looks like they're not censoring a Fata Morgana playthrough. If they're focused on censoring those titles, then they're really not trying that hard.

6 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

They've let a Gahkthun and Tokyo Babel playthrough stay up and it looks like they're not censoring a Fata Morgana playthrough. If they're focused on censoring those titles, then they're really not trying that hard.

Well, Princess Evangile got censored hard

I dunno about their censoring policies, but I'd assume they'd want to censor as much as possible, but that might be already history

Anyways, they might've abandoed their policies, but I doubt it as only little over a year has gone by

There's also the thing of KnS already having been out for a while

Just now, Arcadeotic said:

Well, Princess Evangile got censored hard

I dunno about their censoring policies, but I'd assume they'd want to censor as much as possible, but that might be already history

Anyways, they might've abandoed their policies, but I doubt it as only little over a year has gone by

There's also the thing of KnS already having been out for a while

Princess Evangile did get censored heavily, but they were still lenient and let Noble play it on Twitch. They either aren't trying hard enough with censoring or they just don't care enough to.