srpg recommendation similar to sengoku rance

litte

I am looking for something similar to sengoku rance. its the only srpg i have played and i loved it. These are the things im looking for:

• my primary focus is the game play. i like something challenging and fun (needs to be english translated).
  • however, i dont like too much mindless grinding. its ok if the repetition is due to challenge (eg repeating sengoku rance routes  at different difficulty etc)
  • i dont really care about the story much, its just the anime art and sound that attracts me to play this type of vn instead of a srpg game.
  • good art good voice are  a bonus, thats why perhaps something new rather than old?
  • long story in-between, limited choice/ strategy are minuses

Edit: i realized that my demands are too specific and maybe there is not much out there like that. i guess i could also compromise with:

• more story is fine as long as the game play is still good.
  • i guess it could be easy and not challenging if it has a nostalgic feel to sengoku rance. ie similar battle systems or settings

12 minutes ago, Kaguya said:

If you want something challenging, translated and without much of a story it's a bit hard. 

Maybe look into Bunny Black, I guess. 

i dont mind if there is a long story as long as there is still a good amount of solid game play.

Well, the two translated gameplay heavy weights are Sengoku Rance and Kamidori Alchemy Meister. Kamidori can be grindy though, but it has very good gameplay and high production values.

Besides those it's mostly the Xuse titles Eien no AseliaSeinarukana -The Spirit of Eternity Sword 2- and Yumina the Ethereal. Though Yumina is just from former Xuse members.

you might want to wait abit until aroduc gets to release the title everyone awaits. until then you´re free to try out playing those suggested above, but them being challenging... nah not really, maybee bunnyblack1 in case one happens to be a retard, otherwise that´s regrettably the end of the line

1 hour ago, Kelebek1 said:

Does it matter if the story is translated? If just the gameplay aspects are translated, is that good enough?

yeah sure, if it doesnt hinder the game play much i dont mind. but if there are tons of hints and choices that you have to make due to the untranslated part then probably not

3 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Well, the two translated gameplay heavy weights are Sengoku Rance and Kamidori Alchemy Meister. Kamidori can be grindy though, but it has very good gameplay and high production values.

Besides those it's mostly the Xuse titles Eien no AseliaSeinarukana -The Spirit of Eternity Sword 2- and Yumina the Ethereal. Though Yumina is just from former Xuse members.

awesome, thanks for the list. ill try to research these titles. any idea if eiyuu senki is good? i heard that was similar to sengoku rance.

Oh, welcome to Fuwanovel and hope you enjoy yourself (I knew this isn't introduction page, but whatever).

About your request, maybe Daibanchou was the one you should look to, considering it was had same gameplay as Sengoku, only more unrefined. Also don't forget the sort of Sengoku prototype, Kichikuou Rance (Although once again Sengoku was more refined). Both of those game and Sengoku came from same developer, Alice Soft.

For Eiyuu Senki, in regard of story maybe it was like Sengoku Rance. But the gameplay and endgame story more like Kichikuou one. For Eiyuu battle, it was quite simple. And to get the skill you'll need to follow heroine scene (Forgot to said thst all other character other than MC was genderbent hero, ie became girl). If you ask me it's good or not, I would said yes as long as you didn't expect very complicated story.

Hope my answer here helpful to you, and had fun for trying recommended gameplay VN.

14 hours ago, litte said:

i guess it could be easy and not challenging if it has a nostalgic feel to sengoku rance. ie similar battle systems or settings

I'll second Littleshogun's and Clephas' suggestions. This is because Sengoku Rance is actually a turn based strategy game with RPG elements, it's not a classic SRPG and actually SRPGs tend to play VERY differently.

10 hours ago, Clephas said:

Just break down and play the Total War strategy game series, lol.

I concur with Clephas's suggestions the others as well. Also why don't you try play Blackguards which is a very insanely challenging SRPG from Germany with pretty nice visuals as well!

I'm going to second Kamidori Alchemy Meister and Sengoku Rance, pretty good if you're looking for game-play. Sadly as i've learned you need to either learn Japanese or be very very patient for game-play releases, they are rare and not all of them are good. I've been waiting for another Eushully game in English, sadly I believe my dreams will never come (Unless Seiha feels like blessing my unworthy soul.).

4 hours ago, Godskrieg said:

Is dreaming not a possibility anymore? Is my soul truly so unworthy? :kosame:

dreams are meant to be crushed, such is the concept of fate. besically saying the odds of aroduc start doing madou koukaku & suchalike out of the blue are more or less equivalent to him wanting to indulge in translating sth baldr. there´s still his current project which should aid your soul in regaining its dignity upon getting released.

edit: just remembered zero´s english-tl is almost out, so------

Just now, XReaper said:

edit: just remembered zero´s english-tl is almost out, so------

What zero? Did I miss out on something? Enlighten me senpai!

Also, while true and Aroduc likes to make us all suffer I have a lot of respect, translates fast as hell and with good quality, i've got no complaints to someone who does that out of there own free time, much respect. When my Japanese reading skills get a bit better i'll start reading Eushully games independently, but I just prefer English ya know?

• 5 years later...