Should I play Utawarerumono VN first or watch anime adaption?

Skypie

I say it's actually a bit hard to answer that one. The VN is quite linear and the anime does contain most of the VN contents. This mean if you tried one, you sort of know the other one. The main difference is that the VN gives you control of combat (and more combats) while the anime looks a whole lot better.

My recommendation is not to go through both right after each other. You need to forget some of the story to get full enjoyment of the other one and this is regardless of order. Both are quite good btw, but they do spoil each other.

I played the VN first, second VN I ever played as far as I remember. The VN is great, but anime is good as well though. It's not a terrible botched one that doesn't do the VN justice or anything. VN better though no doubt, especially if you like the turn-based gameplay you'll do every so often.

Itsuwari no Kamen is complete shit though compared to the original. So if you think Itsuwari no Kamen is good and don't want your opinion shattered, I'd recommend not playing or watching the original. Don't really want to go into a long diatribe as to why, but effectively they turned a story-driven original where things progress steadily with decent characters who grow (and die), into a slice of life sequel with weak and boring characters, no connection to the original and nothing happens ever.

Mmm... I advise watching the anime first, then playing the VN.  The differences are pretty interesting... but the VN is more complete, especially the ending.  It is one of those cases where it is harder to enjoy the anime after you've played the VN.