Looking for highschool romance with a twist

Limerence_

Hi everyone. As the title suggests, I'm currently finding a translated VN that's set in highschool. Preferably, I'm hoping to find something similar to Grisaia no Kajitsu, Rewrite, and Little Busters, where the story is more than what it seems to be. It isn't just a typical highschool romcom as it has certain elements in the story which makes it truly unique. I've been recommended some renowned titles (such as G-senjou, Evangile, Symphonic Rain) but I'm putting them on hold first. 

Although I would prefer the type of VNs I mentioned earlier, I'm also cool with typical romcom VNs (I thoroughly enjoyed KonoSora and KoiChoco). Hence, if there so happen to be any good (and translated) ones that come to mind, please don't hesitate to mention it. Thanks! 

If you liked Little Busters and comedy, you should give Majkoi a try. Overdrive also has some good slice of life comedy titles with Deardrops, Kira Kira or Edelweiss.

One of the best nakiges out there is still Hoshimem and for some lighter moege the Shuffle series is still a solid bet. Konosora is also a good read.

The closest thing to Rewrite is probably still F/SN but you probably know that already. However, I'd suggest the less known Aoishiro instead.

Nice Sion avatar btw ^_^

Edit: And not to forget, the good old classic Ever17 if you like VN's with a big hidden mystery.

34 minutes ago, Novel21 said:

What about Noble Works and Da Capo 1-2^_^

I really enjoy playing Da Capo 1-2 very much and highly recommend them.

I've already tried Noble Works. It was alright. It's a little difficult for me to judge it since I only did 1 route (Maya's route) which I quite enjoyed. Were the rest of the routes any good? 

DC looks interesting. Maybe I might give it a go some other time :wafuu: 

Thanks for the help though.

20 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

That Yume Miru Kusuri, tho

Hoshizora no Memoria is a good choice too

That reminds me, I've already got Hoshizora installed on my laptop. I've got a few questions though. I've played a bit of the common route and there (seems) to be a problem with the sound system. Like the quality of the sound is pretty poor and there's often a bit of a static-y noise when someone talks. It's somewhat reminiscent of playing loud music on those old speaker. Is it supposed to be like that? 

Yume Miru Kusuri also seems rather unqiue, but I think I would probably try Hosizhora before I try Yume. 

Thanks for the recommendations :sachi: 

17 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

If you liked Little Busters and comedy, you should give Majkoi a try. Overdrive also has some good slice of life comedy titles with Deardrops, Kira Kira or Edelweiss.

One of the best nakiges out there is still Hoshimem and for some lighter moege the Shuffle series is still a solid bet. Konosora is also a good read.

The closest thing to Rewrite is probably still F/SN but you probably know that already. However, I'd suggest the less known Aoishiro instead.

Nice Sion avatar btw ^_^

Edit: And not to forget, the good old classic Ever17 if you like VN's with a big hidden mystery.

I've heard many good things about Majikoi. However, I'm a bit confused regarding how it works. There are a few sequels to Majikoi right? Are they all translated? Or is it a case similar to Grisaia where only the first title is translated. I'm also slightly confused about Deardrops and KiraKira. I've heard they are somehow connected. Do I need to read one to read another? If that's the case, which do I read first? As of now I only have Deardrops installed :/ I think I'll probably try either majikoi or deardrops/KiraKira as they interest me the most. 

The synopsis of Edelweiss made me chuckle, but I don't think it really suits my taste haha. :wahaha: 

I tried reading Fate but I couldn't get myself to enjoy it, probably because I've already watched the anime. I'll probably force myself through it one of these days to get to Heaven's Feel though. Aoishiro seems interesting. I've never really hard of it though. 

I've also heard a lot of good feedback about Ever17, but for some reason I can't get myself into it. I've read a bit of the common route. I'm also facing the same problem with G-senjou. Then again, the common routes for Grisaia and Rewrite nearly bored me to tears but in the end I still loved them (a little too much). So I'll probably read those 2 one of these days.

55 minutes ago, Limerence_ said:

I've heard many good things about Majikoi. However, I'm a bit confused regarding how it works. There are a few sequels to Majikoi right? Are they all translated? Or is it a case similar to Grisaia where only the first title is translated.

The main title Majikoi and its first fan disc Majikoi S are translated, but the second fan disc Majikoi A is still in translation.

58 minutes ago, Limerence_ said:

I'm also slightly confused about Deardrops and KiraKira. I've heard they are somehow connected. Do I need to read one to read another? If that's the case, which do I read first? As of now I only have Deardrops installed :/ I think I'll probably try either majikoi or deardrops/KiraKira as they interest me the most. 

The synopsis of Edelweiss made me chuckle, but I don't think it really suits my taste haha. :wahaha: 

The Deardrops fan disc is a crossover fan disc beween Kira Kira and Deardops, but besides that both are pretty much unrelated. Kira Kira is probably the most popular title out of the three but its translation is considered a bit weaker since its an older title. Deardrops has a better translation but isn't as good as Kira Kira story-wise. I like Edelweiss the most, but it's certainly a lot more chaotic than the other two.

1 hour ago, Limerence_ said:

I tried reading Fate but I couldn't get myself to enjoy it, probably because I've already watched the anime. I'll probably force myself through it one of these days to get to Heaven's Feel though. Aoishiro seems interesting. I've never really hard of it though.

The first two routes of F/SN have two very good anime adaptions, so I don't really think it's necessary to read them, especially considering that the title is very old and really starts to show its age.

Actually, I heard of Aoishiro just recently myself and read it about a month ago. I was pleasantly surprised since it was rather well made, though it does have its issues that it's a bit slow and the routes are very similar.

1 hour ago, Limerence_ said:

I've also heard a lot of good feedback about Ever17, but for some reason I can't get myself into it. I've read a bit of the common route. I'm also facing the same problem with G-senjou. Then again, the common routes for Grisaia and Rewrite nearly bored me to tears but in the end I still loved them (a little too much). So I'll probably read those 2 one of these days.

Well, like many story VN's it can be rather slow, although I didn't really have that issue with G-Senjou. Some very good story VN's with a faster pacing are Cartagra and Kara no Shoujo from Innocent Grey, but those are more along the lines of Silence of the Lambs and certainly no fluffy high school romcoms.

And I assume you've already read ef - a fairy tale of the two if you've a Sion avatar from Eden?

3 hours ago, Limerence_ said:

I'm also slightly confused about Deardrops and KiraKira. I've heard they are somehow connected. Do I need to read one to read another? If that's the case, which do I read first? As of now I only have Deardrops installed :/ I think I'll probably try either majikoi or deardrops/KiraKira as they interest me the most. 

They are set in the same universe but outside of a few cameos they are mostly unrelated. You can easily read Deardrops without reading KiraKira if you want too. But if you are going to read both of them (and you should) I would personally recommend reading KiraKira first. Mostly because one of the cameos in Deardrops kind of spoils one of KiraKira's endings. Well the other cameo kind of does the same for the KiraKira fandisc but no one cares about that.

If you talk about high school setting, it was quite much actually. Okay I'd actually recommended some back in your introduction thread, so I think this time I'll just add Lucid9 since it's free, quite well received, and the creator here was one of Fuwanovel member. Maybe Lucid9 wasn't had much romance in the VN itself, but if you want high school with a twist, try it. Oh, and if you had 12 or so GB HDD space, try School Days, since this VN was quite infamous for bad ending ie gory. Hope my recommendation here help.

20 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Well, like many story VN's it can be rather slow, although I didn't really have that issue with G-Senjou. Some very good story VN's with a faster pacing are Cartagra and Kara no Shoujo from Innocent Grey, but those are more along the lines of Silence of the Lambs and certainly no fluffy high school romcoms.

And I assume you've already read ef - a fairy tale of the two if you've a Sion avatar from Eden?

Kara no Shoujo seems fairly popular, but I'm not really into the horror genre :michiru: 

Yeap, I've already read ef, and I really loved it. The way it narrated its story through the eyes of different protagonists was really unique. 

I think I would try Majikoi then maybe KiraKira/Deardrops. Thanks for the advice :sachi:

18 hours ago, MercyZombie said:

They are set in the same universe but outside of a few cameos they are mostly unrelated. You can easily read Deardrops without reading KiraKira if you want too. But if you are going to read both of them (and you should) I would personally recommend reading KiraKira first. Mostly because one of the cameos in Deardrops kind of spoils one of KiraKira's endings. Well the other cameo kind of does the same for the KiraKira fandisc but no one cares about that.

I see. Gotta thank you for that. Spoilers really ruin anime/VNs for me, and I probably would have started Deardrops without knowing anything about KiraKira. 

8 hours ago, littleshogun said:

If you talk about high school setting, it was quite much actually. Okay I'd actually recommended some back in your introduction thread, so I think this time I'll just add Lucid9 since it's free, quite well received, and the creator here was one of Fuwanovel member. Maybe Lucid9 wasn't had much romance in the VN itself, but if you want high school with a twist, try it. Oh, and if you had 12 or so GB HDD space, try School Days, since this VN was quite infamous for bad ending ie gory. Hope my recommendation here help.

Think I would try Lucid9 one of these days. Seems pretty interesting. On top of that, it's free. No harm trying I guess. I've watched a bit of the school days anime. That ending tho. 

7 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

YU-NO takes place in a small town from the eyes of a high school student. Has a somewhat rom-com ish feel to it, but there's much more to it than that. There's far more to the story than first seems apparent as well, so I'd recommend you play it.

I see, thanks for the advice. It has a really high rating despite its age o.o

28 minutes ago, Limerence_ said:

Kara no Shoujo seems fairly popular, but I'm not really into the horror genre :michiru: 

Horror? No, that's wrong, KnS is just a detective thriller like Seven. It is popular because it is unique (as only other mature detective stories are from same company Innocent Grey).