solidbatman

What Are You Playing: Video Game Edition

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:33 AM, Percon said:

I just started NieR: Automata a little while ago, and while I don't dislike it by any means, I feel like it hasn't quite gripped me yet. I've been playing small bits at a time - just finished fighting that big sea monster thing - but something about the way the action plays out doesn't feel quite right. The story is interesting so far though I wouldn't say it's groundbreaking (yet - I'm sure there's more to come). I'll be sticking with it, of course, but I feel like it hasn't 'clicked' yet.

I've heard some people say the game didn't click with them until the very end, when they had a "oooooooh" moment and they changed from "it's not bad" to "this is fantastic". Or it's simply not your kind of game, ofc.

On 14/07/2017 at 0:57 PM, Jun Inoue said:

I've heard some people say the game didn't click with them until the very end, when they had a "oooooooh" moment and they changed from "it's not bad" to "this is fantastic". Or it's simply not your kind of game, ofc.

Yeah, I've heard the same thing, which is one of the main reasons I'm sticking with it. 

I generally DO lIke action games but the combat seems a step below, say,  DMCIII or Bayonetta.

Welp, I got absolutely D-E-S-T-R-O-Y-E-D by the final boss of Atelier Totori, and I'm literally out of time to grind up or anything sooo I'll just accept the bad end and move onto Meruru now xD

That's the bad thing about the time management system and being a casual, while I could try hard and learn the game by heart and optimize all my activities and whatnot but that's too much work for what's supposed to be a glorified lighthearted cute adventure alchemy game. not to mention i still got like 6 more of these games to go through #excuses #n00b

Doesn't help that the items you could synthesize to minimize travel time and gathering time are accessible like 75% into the game and are really meant to gear you up for newgame+, which im deeeefinitely not interested in doing

Anyways Meruru - she's the outgoing energetic hates-royal-duties princess type; i think i like her the 2nd best out of the Arland trio, with the first being Totori the innocent nice girl and 3rd being Rorona the ditzy airhead 

Currently I'm playing three games. The first of which is Tales of Berseria which I will fully admit I never got around to fully finishing and the game is better than I remember it.

The second game I've started is the 2nd game in the Utawarerumono series (Mask of Deception) and I have to say I'm really enjoying this one as well.

The third game I am playing is Divinity Original Sin II. This game is a huge improvement on its predecessor and that game wasn't bad itself. They really pulled out all the stops to make this game great and it shows. Love nearly the entire cast of companion characters...the story is heading in an interesting direction, the world has been really fleshed out and the combat is a blast for a tactical rpg. Divinity Original Sin II is honestly one of the best games I've played in 2017 and there's a few this year that have been excellent but it won't be for everyone.

PUBG - Still on that grind. Still a fun game. I've been pretty off my game since I haven't been playing as much, though. 

Halo 3 - Just felt like booting it up since it went on Backward Compat. BTB CTF on Valhalla still the greatest. 

H1Z1 - I was curious to check out another BR game. It is fine, I guess. I did end up winning a squad with a good kill count, which felt alright. 

Other stuff: Cuphead is like out this week. Already bought. 

Got the E ending for Nier Automata a while back and while I am happy with game overall, the final ending kinda pissed me off. I would much rather have ending D or C be the book end of the experience, they are infinitely more emotional and interesting endings. While I enjoyed the development with the pods, ending E feels like a rushed frantic attempt to give the game a happy ending. I would say it feels like a response to focus testing, but the "mechanic" to reach this ending is very bizarre and seems something that a crazy game director would deliberately put into the game. 

Spoiler

I don't know, maybe I'm just bitter that Operator 210 and 60 my personal favorite characters in the game weren't deus ex machina-ed alive at the ending too. 

Playing Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Link mobage at my handphone, and it's quite addictive although the gem (Item to buy booster pack) was quite limited though compared to other Yu-Gi-Oh video game. The premise here I admit was very basic, and it goes like you'll going to the digital world to playing as one of Yu-Gi-Oh anime character and dueling with either CPU or another player. If you want more info, just search it by yourself because there's a lot to talk about that and Yu-Gi-Oh in general.

PS - Hope this is the right thread to talk about mobage here.

Currently playing a bunch of games but Divinity Original Sin 2 is the one that has been taking up a lot of my time recently. It is definitely a contender for my game of the year but I have to beat it first and see if it manages to maintain the greatness throughout the entire game. 

I'm finally playing FFIX. ^_^ Thankfully I was able to come across some good mods to resolve the low quality port issues for the Steam release, and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. Thankfully the mods were easy and painless to implement (you really only need to overwrite certain files).

I haven't made a ton of progress yet, but I'm liking it so far. Unless I come across a cuter pairing, I'll be shipping Zidane and Garnet. They're adorable.

12 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

I'm finally playing FFIX. ^_^ Thankfully I was able to come across some good mods to resolve the low quality port issues for the Steam release, and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. Thankfully the mods were easy and painless to implement (you really only need to overwrite certain files).

I haven't made a ton of progress yet, but I'm liking it so far. Unless I come across a cuter pairing, I'll be shipping Zidane and Garnet. They're adorable.

FFIX is a gem; have fun with it! I played it an extremely long time ago, but I still pull out the soundtrack from time to time, and I look back on it with a lot of nostalgia; I wouldn't be surprised to hear the game still holds up today, from what I recall of it.

In regard of FFIX, I like that the game was had more varied characters compared to VII and VIII in regard of the skill although I must say the Trance system there was a letdown though. The reason was because unlike back at VII and VIIII here we couldn't really control the trance because it happened automatically, and most of the time it could be wasted on easy random battle instead of the boss. Granted it might be intended, but still. There's also another letdown from FFVIII, and it was in regard of card battle (Tetra Master) which to say was not as fun as Triple Triad to me,

Spoiler

and yet it's important that we need to understand the rule in order to play an obligatory card tournament in which the first prize was an useful accessory.

As for the music, what I could say it's still good considering that we had Uematsu composing the soundtrack and by the way he also said that he was really like FFIX. For the last word here, I'd find that Melodies of Life was good song.

10 hours ago, littleshogun said:

In regard of FFIX, I like that the game was had more varied characters compared to VII and VIII in regard of the skill although I must say the Trance system there was a letdown though. The reason was because unlike back at VII and VIIII here we couldn't really control the trance because it happened automatically, and most of the time it could be wasted on easy random battle instead of the boss. Granted it might be intended, but still. There's also another letdown from FFVIII, and it was in regard of card battle (Tetra Master) which to say was not as fun as Triple Triad to me,

Reveal hidden contents

and yet it's important that we need to understand the rule in order to play an obligatory card tournament in which the first prize was an useful accessory.

As for the music, what I could say it's still good considering that we had Uematsu composing the soundtrack and by the way he also said that he was really like FFIX. For the last word here, I'd find that Melodies of Life was good song.

I agree with you on the Trance system. I also prefer saving power-ups for boss battles, but it's hard to do so when it triggers automatically. FFIX is the only game in the franchise I know that does this (they even stopped doing it in X). As much as I enjoy the card game, the damage calculation seems completely random to me. Like, I kinda understand how some cards hit harder than others, but idk what triggers their intensified damage bursts (if there is a logic to it, please don't tell me). I haven't played FFVIII yet, so I'm not sure how Tripple Triad compares. And yeah, the OST is very refreshing as well. I've always enjoyed Uematsu's work. :)

11 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

FFIX is a gem; have fun with it! I played it an extremely long time ago, but I still pull out the soundtrack from time to time, and I look back on it with a lot of nostalgia; I wouldn't be surprised to hear the game still holds up today, from what I recall of it.

Oh yeah, for sure. Granted, the graphics might be a little dated for younger audiences, but the game still plays very smoothly compared to others at its time (it's not nearly as quirky as something like Azure Dreams, lol). My only complaint so far is the camera control, but that's a pretty common problem even with newer games. :P