What Video Games Are You Playing Right Now?

solidbatman

Slept over at a friend with a PS4 between Thursday afternoon and Sunday morning. I'd lent him my copy of Persona 5 (I don't have a PS4 ;_;) so I had a chance to finally continue playing the game (last played it a month or so ago, up to the end of the first dungeon). Reached the middle of the fourth Palace on Hard (clocked 50 hours total). 

The game's style is absolutely lovely, and the soundtrack (bar a few underwhelming daytime themes) is sublime. I can listen to Life Goes On for hours on end. I quite like the Confidants as well, they're unique and interesting characters.

I really liked what I saw of the plot, but I'm worried I am going too fast (averaged something like 11 hours and 20 minutes daily). This is especially because I've yet to form a connection to the cast and the setting. Somehow playing 3-4 hours a day and finishing a Persona game in 2-3 weeks feels like the better way to go. Also, we were staying as four friends at the sleepover so others were always watching. Perhaps that's why I haven't been able to hook myself into the atmosphere, also.

I've also been obsessed with the game for 1.5 years (found out about Persona by buying 4 Golden on a whim in November '15). Been listening to the released soundtracks since then, and practically all my wallpapers etc. have been Persona related. So I might have burned myself the fuck out on the game without even playing it.

The cast... is amazing individually (although Ryuji gets on my fucking nerves), but the group simply does not work. The cast doesn't interact in any interesting way. There's a lingering awkwardness whenever the Phantom Thieves convene, we see no intimacy or closeness or friendship. They haven't had almost any events between April through July. I have other pet peeves too- Makoto is bossing everyone around (which is fine, I love her self-discipline, but she just comes across as really cold) and Ann being the butt of pervy treatment is really, really tone deaf. Persona 4's characters weren't as well realized individually, but they worked incredibly well as a group and their mannerisms played off of each other. P5's cast just talks among itself whenever plot stuff comes up and we never see them acting like friends. I find that incredibly disappointing. P3 did something similar but that was because SEES was a group that was forced together by circumstance and that dynamic changed by the end, and it was obviously deliberate. In P5, it comes off as a spectacular failure in developing the group's relationship.

P.S: I love Futaba's characterization so far. Love it. The most interesting character by far.

P. P. S: Tae or Makoto? Need to pick one ;_;

P. P. P. S.: Morgana not letting you do shit at night is utter bullshit indeed, especially since there are Confidants and activities exclusive to evenings now.

Also played the demo of NieR Automata like, five times. It might have my favorite combat in literally any game. 2B and 9S are amazing, and the story is wonderful as well. I'd played it at 20-25 FPS for 10 hours or so myself, Favorite-game-ever material, but I cannot do to it the insult of playing at sub-60 FPS. Into the PS4 bucket list it goes...

Besides that, working my way through Dark Souls II: Scholar Of The First Sin. Nowhere as good as DS1, but something is really drawing me towards it anyway. Currently in the Iron Keep.

Edited by Funyarinpa

7 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

P. P. S: Tae or Makoto? Need to pick one ;_;

Besides that, working my way through Dark Souls II: Scholar Of The First Sin. Nowhere as good as DS1, but something is really drawing me towards it anyway. Currently in the Iron Keep.

Had the same doubt, and went with Makoto... but both are just top tier. :mare:

DS II is pretty good, but always pales in comparison with any other game of the franchise, it's a pity.

On 7/2/2017 at 1:21 PM, Fred the Barber said:

I finally started NieR: Automata a week ago, wrapping up route A yesterday (and then quickly thereafter finishing route G as well... oops.). It's been a great pleasure to play, on all fronts. I'm playing with the English dub rather than subs, since I found both that the dub is excellent and that I was missing some things occasionally with the subs, when the action was a little frantic and someone was trying to tell me something. N:A is probably the most thoughtful and thought-provoking story I've experienced in at least the past year, and it never becomes either pushy or preachy. Really, it's just been a pure joy. Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time for me to go resume my second playthrough...

I just started NieR: Automata a little while ago, and while I don't dislike it by any means, I feel like it hasn't quite gripped me yet. I've been playing small bits at a time - just finished fighting that big sea monster thing - but something about the way the action plays out doesn't feel quite right. The story is interesting so far though I wouldn't say it's groundbreaking (yet - I'm sure there's more to come). I'll be sticking with it, of course, but I feel like it hasn't 'clicked' yet.

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:33 AM, Percon said:

I just started NieR: Automata a little while ago, and while I don't dislike it by any means, I feel like it hasn't quite gripped me yet. I've been playing small bits at a time - just finished fighting that big sea monster thing - but something about the way the action plays out doesn't feel quite right. The story is interesting so far though I wouldn't say it's groundbreaking (yet - I'm sure there's more to come). I'll be sticking with it, of course, but I feel like it hasn't 'clicked' yet.

I've heard some people say the game didn't click with them until the very end, when they had a "oooooooh" moment and they changed from "it's not bad" to "this is fantastic". Or it's simply not your kind of game, ofc.

On 14/07/2017 at 0:57 PM, Jun Inoue said:

I've heard some people say the game didn't click with them until the very end, when they had a "oooooooh" moment and they changed from "it's not bad" to "this is fantastic". Or it's simply not your kind of game, ofc.

Yeah, I've heard the same thing, which is one of the main reasons I'm sticking with it. 

I generally DO lIke action games but the combat seems a step below, say,  DMCIII or Bayonetta.

• 2 months later...

Welp, I got absolutely D-E-S-T-R-O-Y-E-D by the final boss of Atelier Totori, and I'm literally out of time to grind up or anything sooo I'll just accept the bad end and move onto Meruru now xD

That's the bad thing about the time management system and being a casual, while I could try hard and learn the game by heart and optimize all my activities and whatnot but that's too much work for what's supposed to be a glorified lighthearted cute adventure alchemy game. not to mention i still got like 6 more of these games to go through #excuses #n00b

Doesn't help that the items you could synthesize to minimize travel time and gathering time are accessible like 75% into the game and are really meant to gear you up for newgame+, which im deeeefinitely not interested in doing

Anyways Meruru - she's the outgoing energetic hates-royal-duties princess type; i think i like her the 2nd best out of the Arland trio, with the first being Totori the innocent nice girl and 3rd being Rorona the ditzy airhead 

Currently I'm playing three games. The first of which is Tales of Berseria which I will fully admit I never got around to fully finishing and the game is better than I remember it.

The second game I've started is the 2nd game in the Utawarerumono series (Mask of Deception) and I have to say I'm really enjoying this one as well.

The third game I am playing is Divinity Original Sin II. This game is a huge improvement on its predecessor and that game wasn't bad itself. They really pulled out all the stops to make this game great and it shows. Love nearly the entire cast of companion characters...the story is heading in an interesting direction, the world has been really fleshed out and the combat is a blast for a tactical rpg. Divinity Original Sin II is honestly one of the best games I've played in 2017 and there's a few this year that have been excellent but it won't be for everyone.

PUBG - Still on that grind. Still a fun game. I've been pretty off my game since I haven't been playing as much, though. 

Halo 3 - Just felt like booting it up since it went on Backward Compat. BTB CTF on Valhalla still the greatest. 

H1Z1 - I was curious to check out another BR game. It is fine, I guess. I did end up winning a squad with a good kill count, which felt alright. 

Other stuff: Cuphead is like out this week. Already bought. 

Got the E ending for Nier Automata a while back and while I am happy with game overall, the final ending kinda pissed me off. I would much rather have ending D or C be the book end of the experience, they are infinitely more emotional and interesting endings. While I enjoyed the development with the pods, ending E feels like a rushed frantic attempt to give the game a happy ending. I would say it feels like a response to focus testing, but the "mechanic" to reach this ending is very bizarre and seems something that a crazy game director would deliberately put into the game. 

Spoiler

I don't know, maybe I'm just bitter that Operator 210 and 60 my personal favorite characters in the game weren't deus ex machina-ed alive at the ending too. 

Playing Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Link mobage at my handphone, and it's quite addictive although the gem (Item to buy booster pack) was quite limited though compared to other Yu-Gi-Oh video game. The premise here I admit was very basic, and it goes like you'll going to the digital world to playing as one of Yu-Gi-Oh anime character and dueling with either CPU or another player. If you want more info, just search it by yourself because there's a lot to talk about that and Yu-Gi-Oh in general.

PS - Hope this is the right thread to talk about mobage here.

Currently playing a bunch of games but Divinity Original Sin 2 is the one that has been taking up a lot of my time recently. It is definitely a contender for my game of the year but I have to beat it first and see if it manages to maintain the greatness throughout the entire game. 

I'm finally playing FFIX. ^_^ Thankfully I was able to come across some good mods to resolve the low quality port issues for the Steam release, and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. Thankfully the mods were easy and painless to implement (you really only need to overwrite certain files).

I haven't made a ton of progress yet, but I'm liking it so far. Unless I come across a cuter pairing, I'll be shipping Zidane and Garnet. They're adorable.

12 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

I'm finally playing FFIX. ^_^ Thankfully I was able to come across some good mods to resolve the low quality port issues for the Steam release, and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. Thankfully the mods were easy and painless to implement (you really only need to overwrite certain files).

I haven't made a ton of progress yet, but I'm liking it so far. Unless I come across a cuter pairing, I'll be shipping Zidane and Garnet. They're adorable.

FFIX is a gem; have fun with it! I played it an extremely long time ago, but I still pull out the soundtrack from time to time, and I look back on it with a lot of nostalgia; I wouldn't be surprised to hear the game still holds up today, from what I recall of it.

In regard of FFIX, I like that the game was had more varied characters compared to VII and VIII in regard of the skill although I must say the Trance system there was a letdown though. The reason was because unlike back at VII and VIII here we couldn't really control the trance because it happened automatically, and most of the time it could be wasted on easy random battle instead of the boss. Granted it might be intended, but still. There's also another letdown from FFVIII, and it was in regard of card battle (Tetra Master) which to say was not as fun as Triple Triad to me,

Spoiler

and yet it's important that we need to understand the rule in order to play an obligatory card tournament in which the first prize was an useful accessory.

As for the music, what I could say it's still good considering that we had Uematsu composing the soundtrack and by the way he also said that he was really like FFIX. For the last word here, I'd find that Melodies of Life was good song.

Edited by littleshogun

10 hours ago, littleshogun said:

In regard of FFIX, I like that the game was had more varied characters compared to VII and VIII in regard of the skill although I must say the Trance system there was a letdown though. The reason was because unlike back at VII and VIIII here we couldn't really control the trance because it happened automatically, and most of the time it could be wasted on easy random battle instead of the boss. Granted it might be intended, but still. There's also another letdown from FFVIII, and it was in regard of card battle (Tetra Master) which to say was not as fun as Triple Triad to me,

Reveal hidden contents

and yet it's important that we need to understand the rule in order to play an obligatory card tournament in which the first prize was an useful accessory.

As for the music, what I could say it's still good considering that we had Uematsu composing the soundtrack and by the way he also said that he was really like FFIX. For the last word here, I'd find that Melodies of Life was good song.

I agree with you on the Trance system. I also prefer saving power-ups for boss battles, but it's hard to do so when it triggers automatically. FFIX is the only game in the franchise I know that does this (they even stopped doing it in X). As much as I enjoy the card game, the damage calculation seems completely random to me. Like, I kinda understand how some cards hit harder than others, but idk what triggers their intensified damage bursts (if there is a logic to it, please don't tell me). I haven't played FFVIII yet, so I'm not sure how Tripple Triad compares. And yeah, the OST is very refreshing as well. I've always enjoyed Uematsu's work. :)

11 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

FFIX is a gem; have fun with it! I played it an extremely long time ago, but I still pull out the soundtrack from time to time, and I look back on it with a lot of nostalgia; I wouldn't be surprised to hear the game still holds up today, from what I recall of it.

Oh yeah, for sure. Granted, the graphics might be a little dated for younger audiences, but the game still plays very smoothly compared to others at its time (it's not nearly as quirky as something like Azure Dreams, lol). My only complaint so far is the camera control, but that's a pretty common problem even with newer games. :P

1 hour ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

I started into the tales of experience with Xillia 1, prolly not the best way to discover tales of...it's frankly not bad at all. 

Xillia really got very extreme opinions, people either loved or hated it. To me, it's one of the best Tales of that I've played.

In between Divinity Original Sin 2 I've been trying to finish my playthrough of Tales of Berseria (I like the cast of this game far better than Zestiria's). I am also slightly surprised there was no new Tales game announcement yet...that said however the Tales Festival next year is where we'll probably get told about the next game.

I am playing a couple games when I find time, first of all people here have recommended me Fire Emblem, so I've been going through them one by one. Played 12,11,8,7,6 up to now and currently going through 8th again, on hard mode this time. The gameplay is really fun and I doubt I'll get bored soon, though my pace of playing has gone down considerably in the last few weeks. The stories are pretty much all the same and support conversations are way too rare to compensate for it.

Also I am going through Divinity Original Sin II campaign with my brother, the battles are fun and being able to go through the campaing in co-op is great. It is one of the slowest games I know though.

And we still bring out Heroes III once or twice a month when another brother joins us, been playing it since early 2000s and I am still not bored.