What Video Games Are You Playing Right Now?

solidbatman

2 hours ago, Rooke said:

Is it worth getting? I'm undecided whether it's worth it (haven't played any ROTK games.)

Eehhhh kinda hard to say really, if you like a strategy game then ROTK 13 is a nice pick. It does get repetitive once you finished it with once or twice but the different scenario does spice thing up a bit 

Prepare to lose a lot cause you don't know what the hell is going on though, there are tutorial but there are still some thing that isn't explained and you have to figure it out yourself.

Like for example, how the hell you make heir anyway? I still don't know :vinty:

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Roleplay value ( aka Creating an Original Officer and playing as him/her to participate in 3 kingdom wars ) is pretty bad in this series. If you looking for those might wanna play ROTK 10 instead

ROTK 10 is a pretty fascinating take on strategy. It's like a Japanese developed Crusader Kings set in China. If that sounds appealing to you, check it out some time. Too bad the PC version was never translated, but it emulates decently on PCSX2.

It's definitely a game that's kinda there more for the feel and experience than as an actual compelling strategy game. The battle system is an easily exploitable joke and the historical simulation breaks down pretty often. Apparently both of these things were resolved in the PC version. RIP us english speaking weirdos, I guess. Still, I played the hell out of that game. I found it oddly fun to raise my character through the ranks, fulfill the orders my liege gave me and eventually make enough of a name for myself to gain higher positions until I could make my own bid for power, it's that kind of game. Just expect a lot of tedium to go along with it.

Finished Playdead Entertaiment's Inside

It was quite a ride and basically Limbo 2.0 and the story is the 'interpret and theorize it yourself' kind of stories

The lighting is gorgeous, it has an unique artstyle and achieves what it aims to be, an obscure story and the second coming of Limbo

47 minutes ago, Decay said:

ROTK 10 is a pretty fascinating take on strategy. It's like a Japanese developed Crusader Kings set in China. If that sounds appealing to you, check it out some time. Too bad the PC version was never translated, but it emulates decently on PCSX2.

It's definitely a game that's kinda there more for the feel and experience than as an actual compelling strategy game. The battle system is an easily exploitable joke and the historical simulation breaks down pretty often. Apparently both of these things were resolved in the PC version. RIP us english speaking weirdos, I guess. Still, I played the hell out of that game. I found it oddly fun to raise my character through the ranks, fulfill the orders my liege gave me and eventually make enough of a name for myself to gain higher positions until I could make my own bid for power, it's that kind of game. Just expect a lot of tedium to go along with it.

PC version have an English patch. Though it only cover the interface and not the story/dialogue i think

That aside, I'm playing Enter the Gungeon for a few weeks by now.

It has it all to be a twin-stick shooter roguelike with an emphasis in the action rather than to say, the RNG like in Binding of Isaac.

This game is literal crack; I can't stop playing it.

It has crisp controls, fluid animation, nice difficulty curve, and simple yet elaborate controls and mechanics.

As a roguelike-buff, I love it to bits. The variation of enemies and items/weapons to make each run interesting, but it not dependance on RNG makes it slightly repetitive, and as such decreases its replay-value.

It's still great, despite its downfalls.

Edited by Arcadeotic

Playing Dangaronpa for the first time. Mostly like it.

(spoilers)

Really finding Makoto to be an idiot though, often I'm realizing things and solving the connections long before he does - It frustrates me and makes me wish I had more control over the game. A good example, is the gender surprise for that one character - I had deduced it from the evidence, yet the game forces Kyoko to reveal it, as if it was beyond comprehension~ :makina:

If the character I controlled had a clean slate with no personalty/dialogue, I think there would be a lot less cognitive dissonance (though it would obviously take away from the overall story)

Also, I might just not be in the mood for VN-style mechanics, but I find the constant morning meetings etc annoying, getting in the way of me exploring and being in control. I realize it's what propels the story forward, but there's something stifling about the method of it all.

Great music though :sachi:

4 hours ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

Playing Dangaronpa for the first time. Mostly like it.

(spoilers)

Hide contents

Really finding Makoto to be an idiot though, often I'm realizing things and solving the connections long before he does - It frustrates me and makes me wish I had more control over the game. A good example, is the gender surprise for that one character - I had deduced it from the evidence, yet the game forces Kyoko to reveal it, as if it was beyond comprehension~ :makina:

If the character I controlled had a clean slate with no personalty/dialogue, I think there would be a lot less cognitive dissonance (though it would obviously take away from the overall story)

Also, I might just not be in the mood for VN-style mechanics, but I find the constant morning meetings etc annoying, getting in the way of me exploring and being in control. I realize it's what propels the story forward, but there's something stifling about the method of it all.

Great music though :sachi:

Did you go into Danganronpa thinking it was more of a game than a VN? (Obviously, since you posted this in Gaming Talk :P). I never found the "VN-style mechanics" to hinder my enjoyment, cuz I came into it thinking it was a VN :ph34r:

Ye, the twist for the Second Trial was definitely obvious long before the actual reveal. RIP for the vic, tho ;-; it was a really, really stupid 'motive'

1 hour ago, Eclipsed said:

Did you go into Danganronpa thinking it was more of a game than a VN? (Obviously, since you posted this in Gaming Talk :P). I never found the "VN-style mechanics" to hinder my enjoyment, cuz I came into it thinking it was a VN :ph34r:

Ye, the twist for the Second Trial was definitely obvious long before the actual reveal. RIP for the vic, tho ;-; it was a really, really stupid 'motive'

Yeah, I haven't really been feeling up to a full-on VN - but I've gotten invested enough I'll stick with it. :)

Was a pretty bs motive, esp. when I think about the brave step forward the vic took~

3rd trial was laughably easy to figure out even while it was playing out - kinda disappointing, really. :P Still a interesting game, but hardly a headscratcher...

18 minutes ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

Yeah, I haven't really been feeling up to a full-on VN - but I've gotten invested enough I'll stick with it. :)

3rd trial was laughably easy to figure out even while it was playing out - kinda disappointing, really. :P Still a interesting game, but hardly a headscratcher...

Since you're invested, you should also play Danganronpa 2 after you finish, then start watching the now-airing Danganronpa 3 anime with me :kosame: :upupu:

I've recently gotten into Warthunder, but more importantly than that, i'm finally getting Fallout 4!! but well, for now my days are filled with nothing but vn's (mostly at night or the afternoon) and then just the rest of the day is me playing Warthunder (as a pilot of course), oh, and i've also recently gotten back into skyrim modding (Well, Oblivion modding too, but i kind of broke the game... and the mod manager along with it).

playing I am setsuna, I don't know why is it called that way when the original one is いけにえと雪のセツナ something like sacrifice and snow of setsuna(sentsuna's sacrifice and snow??), btw her name is a reference for pain or opression..so maybe the title is a bit over the top :P 

either way fairly good so far, the combat sometimes is a bit convoluted because you don't have much time to react so you just keep attacking and you win XD 

The music is good, the art too and the story...well can't say much yet but so far I think it's a good rpg.

4 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

playing I am setsuna, I don't know why is it called that way when the original one is いけにえと雪のセツナ something like sacrifice and snow of setsuna(sentsuna's sacrifice and snow??), btw her name is a reference for pain or opression..so maybe the title is a bit over the top :P 

either way fairly good so far, the combat sometimes is a bit convoluted because you don't have much time to react so you just keep attacking and you win XD 

The music is good, the art too and the story...well can't say much yet but so far I think it's a good rpg.

Playing the game right now too.

The English title is extremely stupid.

I like the piano soundtrack. Though I must say it lacks character. Even though it's good ambient music, it's pretty bland. It reuses old Square-Enix music themes, but doesn't really find its own distinctive style.

The story is pretty generic, but I guess that is the point. The game is hilariously pretentious, but to be honest, retro JRPGs took themselves way too seriously too ... and we loved it. I'm certainly enjoying it.
However, the characters are really a little too bland and forgettable. Sure, they're fine.. but really nothing more. The main character with his pseudo choices is very retro ... but in a bad way. The game tries to copy Chrono Trigger, but Endir is by far no Crono, that's for sure.

Regarding convoluted combat: The time stops when you target an enemy, even if you play in Active Mode. It's really important in this game which enemy you attack, so don't just button smash your way through.
People saying the game is too easy and it's indeed easy ... but only if you are playing good or you grind too much (which is easily possible when you try to farm drops). If you don't use your techs wisely, it will be very hard.

If you try to get drops, the combat system is actually pretty interesting and it's fun trying to find out the best combinations of techs to maximize the looting.

38 minutes ago, Tyrosyn said:

Playing the game right now too.

The English title is extremely stupid.

I like the piano soundtrack. Though I must say it lacks character. Even though it's good ambient music, it's pretty bland. It reuses old Square-Enix music themes, but doesn't really find its own distinctive style.

The story is pretty generic, but I guess that is the point. The game is hilariously pretentious, but to be honest, retro JRPGs took themselves way too seriously too ... and we loved it. I'm certainly enjoying it.
However, the characters are really a little too bland and forgettable. Sure, they're fine.. but really nothing more. The main character with his pseudo choices is very retro ... but in a bad way. The game tries to copy Chrono Trigger, but Endir is by far no Crono, that's for sure.

Regarding convoluted combat: The time stops when you target an enemy, even if you play in Active Mode. It's really important in this game which enemy you attack, so don't just button smash your way through.
People saying the game is too easy and it's indeed easy ... but only if you are playing good or you grind too much (which is easily possible when you try to farm drops). If you don't use your techs wisely, it will be very hard.

If you try to get drops, the combat system is actually pretty interesting and it's fun trying to find out the best combinations of techs to maximize the looting.

Well I can't talk about the story yet 

Spoiler

I'm at the first village after your boat crash, so nothing really happened yet.

The characters are like in 90% of jrpg, the generous girl who loves every single creature and she would give her life even if it's to save a bug, the strong, bad-ass almost muted protagonist, the companion of the girl who loves everyone who is over protective of her and so on, all the cliche characters you can find in a jrpg are here which is not something bad or good I mean you are playing an jrpg game in 2016 from a triple A company, don't expect ground breaking stuff. Or maybe I'm wrong and later on everything changes... and even if it's cliched I still enjoy it.

The story so far I have to agree, it's a pretty generic japanese story too, sacrificing one human (always a pretty young girl who is the most innocent and kind of them all) to appease the gods, monster or whatever :P 

The combat, leaving aside bosses so far I haven't had any problems, I do manage my team pretty ok since I'm fairly used to jrpg, and use the special abilities (the one you can combine 2 attacks for example) still I don't find it hard or anything, probably I'm too early in the game to give a proper opinion of the combat.

The music and the art are the best thing of this game, even if it's reuses old music from other jrpgs I think it's pretty good and sets the mood pretty ok for the scenes, and I love snowy sceneries so yeah it just got me with that alone.

On 7/16/2016 at 1:28 PM, TheFantasm said:

Anyone pick up Monster Hunter Generations? And if so, how is it? Thinking about picking it up next week 

Picked it up, and am pretty addicted to it. I've been looking for a grindy game I can sink hundreds of hours into, and I think I found it.

Just finished playing Growlanser II.

The story is kinda okay but by god i vehemntly dislike both the combat and the stupid random encounter quite a far cry from Growlanser IV really.

Now what Ps2 rpg i should play next..... :vinty: 

Playing Pokemon Trading Card Game Online. One of the most stressful games I've ever played. It sums up the whole reason why I dislike online multiplayers - because battling an AI is far easier, and you don't have to deal with the drama that comes with immature opponents. I swear, everytime I play this game, my blood pressure shoots for the peak.

The absolutely worst part is the RNG mechanics. A lot of the online version of the TCG relies on the computer manipulating the card-draws and coin-flips, whereas in real life, the luck of the draw is fair to everyone. You would get an opponent in the online game who is able to instantly evolve a Stage 1 Pokemon in his three opening turns, effectively wiping you out before you could even set up anything.

And I absolutely hate Night March!