What Video Games Are You Playing Right Now?

solidbatman

Been playing Subnautica, Loving it so far, its my first survival/collect and craft type game that i'v played, so its very interesting to play,ton of fun, but there are some bugs that are rather annoying, but not game breaking, its still in development, but its been under dev for a while now, Really nice gorgeous graphics, probably not the best out of survival games,but when night comes and the lights go out, the fishes and coral starts to glow, it looks amazing.Its a really nice game since its mostly underwater, there is only like a small portion where you can actually walk on land, but its a shame there are no lethal weapons in this game, guess its part of the survival atmosphere, the tension of lurking predators that will stalk you from the seaweeds or sands, great game,and its making me even more hyped for No man's sky, it probably won't have as much underwater detail as subnautica, but it has more details on land and space to compensate for that.

Boy, am I glad I picked Jude, then. He was perfect as the MC in Xillia, telling a story of personal growth apart from the game's ongoing narrative. How fitting Jude was to the story and world is one of the reasons Xillia was so good. He gets sucked into a horrible mess he didn't want anything to do with, and ends up rising to the occasion due to necessity and will, not bs destiny or duty.

Most of the Tales of games aren't destiny BS. The MCs are just living their life.

Take Vesperia for exemple: Yuri just wanted to take back the Blastia, and in the end he saved the world. It all began with a stolen item.

From my memories, Zestiria, Innoncence, and arguably Hearts, Symphonia and Abyss have "destined" heroes. The others are just "normal guys". (Well, in Destiny 2's case, Kyle want to be a hero so bad that he becomes one, but he isn't really destined to be one)

EDIT: And Milla's side of Xillia too, I guess.

38 minutes ago, Riku said:

Most of the Tales of games aren't destiny BS. The MCs are just living their life.

Take Vesperia for exemple: Yuri just wanted to take back the Blastia, and in the end he saved the world. It all began with a stolen item.

From my memories, Zestiria, Innoncence, and arguably Hearts, Symphonia and Abyss have "destined" heroes. The others are just "normal guys". (Well, in Destiny 2's case, Kyle want to be a hero so bad that he becomes one, but he isn't really destined to be one)

EDIT: And Milla's side of Xillia too, I guess.

What you described on Vesperia is exactly the Destiny approach. Most Tales of games take a somewhat different path, but it's always lots of coincidences and "I'm just a normal guy" who never really is a normal guy. Which is the irony here, cuz Jude is indeed pretty much just a normal guy for about 90% of the game, and it's what made lots of people dislike him. Complains are generally at him not being cool or decisive enough, or "stepping up" to the occasion quickly enough, which again is ironic since Jude is probably one of the most realistic MCs the franchise has made. I really liked how the story put a smart student into super deep shit and how he's forced to leave his home in a sort of "exile", which makes him really confused and conflicted. Jude truly feels like he's actually growing and changing throughout the game. Even towards the end, Jude is still just a normal guy, but quite strong due to what life has thrown at him in his journey. He's not fulfilling a destiny.

Jude is the kind of character everyone says they want, but how unpopular he was proves that most people don't really mean it when they say they want a normal MC.

Jude is the MC we need, but not the one we want.

34 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

What you described on Vesperia is exactly the Destiny approach. Most Tales of games take a somewhat different path, but it's always lots of coincidences and "I'm just a normal guy" who never really is a normal guy. Which is the irony here, cuz Jude is indeed pretty much just a normal guy for about 90% of the game, and it's what made lots of people dislike him. Complains are generally at him not being cool or decisive enough, or "stepping up" to the occasion quickly enough, which again is ironic since Jude is probably one of the most realistic MCs the franchise has made. I really liked how the story put a smart student into super deep shit and how he's forced to leave his home in a sort of "exile", which makes him really confused and conflicted. Jude truly feels like he's actually growing and changing throughout the game. Even towards the end, Jude is still just a normal guy, but quite strong due to what life has thrown at him in his journey. He's not fulfilling a destiny.

Jude is the kind of character everyone says they want, but how unpopular he was proves that most people don't really mean it when they say they want a normal MC.

I agree with you for Jude (He is my favorite after Yuri), but I don't agree with "coincidence = destiny". In that case Xillia would be the same.

Destiny is like Sorey being the Shepherd or

Characters from Innoncence having memories of past lives, Shing and Kohaku being the "reincarnations" of past guys, Lloyd being the son of Kratos, Luke being one of the super rare Seventh Fonist and a clone.

The others are, even if not really "normals", not destined to be heroes.

39 minutes ago, Riku said:

I agree with you for Jude (He is my favorite after Yuri), but I don't agree with "coincidence = destiny". In that case Xillia would be the same.

Destiny is like Sorey being the Shepherd or

Hide contents

Characters from Innoncence having memories of past lives, Shing and Kohaku being the "reincarnations" of past guys, Lloyd being the son of Kratos, Luke being one of the super rare Seventh Fonist and a clone.

The others are, even if not really "normals", not destined to be heroes.

Well, I'm certainly simplifying or "forcing" it for the comparison. But I meant that, in the end, most stories happen to a certain degree due to destiny. So the game needs to decide if it's going balls-deep into destiny stuff, or stays away from it. And most Tales of usually get closer to the destiny approach.

I see your point. It's true that Jude is more "normal" that some other Tales of protagonists, so you forced the comparison a little. But, hey, he isn't that normal either.

Scene you can only see in Milla's side :

AVKQT.png?tti

Less than 10 hours in and not even reached much before unseen content yet, but what I have seen lets me say that Soul Sacrifice Delta is easily one of the best games I have ever played. Like, top 10 with a shot for top 5 amazing. Godlike (GODLIKE) story and presentation, gameplay is really great too. 

12 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

This is a really convincing post, and I can totally see where you're coming from and appreciate that view. But for me, I actually like all that destiny crap. I enjoy seeing extraordinary people doing extraordinary things. Character growth is certainly something I value as well, but you can still get that even with a destiny backdrop.

11 hours ago, Decay said:

The servers went up like half an hour late only, that's pretty good for such a popular MP game launch! 

I changed my battletag, btw. So anyone who wants to add me, it's Decay#11491

Yeah, but since it was already 1am at the supposed launch, any delay felt horrible.

Maybe I'll add you :illya:

I wonder if they have already implemented the pre-season ranked mode for everyone lvl 25+, or if they are gonna wait a bit.

10 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

This is a really convincing post, and I can totally see where you're coming from and appreciate that view. But for me, I actually like all that destiny crap. I enjoy seeing extraordinary people doing extraordinary things. Character growth is certainly something I value as well, but you can still get that even with a destiny backdrop.

Oh yes, I didn't mean to say that the destiny approach is bad. I simply argued around the fact that Jude is incredibly unpopular despite being one of the most realistic and interesting MCs in the Tales of franchise.

Any approach is good if it's done well. Good vs Evil is old as fuck, but it's nothing more than the skeleton of the idea. It can be done right or wrong.

I've indulged in Xblaze Code Embryo, the game is actually pretty short as far as VN games go. Quick and to the point is how it goes! Completed some endings already. First was The Dark Ending, then Hinata, Mei, and Kuon. I like the story, I just wish Mei got a better ending.:(

Played the first room of 999 on DS with a legit copy, the first time I played it it was emulated, and man this is so great, bar the slowly appearing text and repetitive explanations in puzzles.

However, I shall remain loyal to Soul Sacrifice Delta and Killzone Mercenary's Botzone for the time being

Okay, now that Code Embryo has been taken care of I just got to pick up the sequel at a later date. Too bad the game isn't sold on the PSN network, which will make this a lot harder for me.

I'm just gonna distract myself with these two games I just picked up out of boredom, Child of Light and Hyperdevotion Noire. Both games are pretty interesting to me right now, i'm not bored with the battles for now, I guess i'm more a fan of the turn based system in JRPGS.:illya:

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 4:10 PM, Jun Inoue said:

Welp, wanted to play some Overwatch before going to sleep, but Blizzard is obviously messing up and the servers are not up yet...

what does everyone find so appealing about overwatch? I keep trying to play it and it doesn't seem that fun. None of the characters are that fun. I've mostly played Kayle.... Mercy since I was also a support main in LOL. But the weapons/abilities are kind of lame tbh and you don't have a lot of them. It's like a rich mans TF2. or TF3.

Just now, Justin579 said:

what does everyone find so appealing about overwatch? I keep trying to play it and it doesn't seem that fun. None of the characters are that fun. I've mostly played Kayle.... Mercy since I was also a support main in LOL. But the weapons/abilities are kind of lame tbh and you don't have a lot of them. It's like a rich mans TF2. or TF3.

It's TF2 with waifus.

What do people find so appealing? That the characters have "attitude", the game modes are entertaining enough; there's no team deathmatch, for example, which is surprising but works to OW's strengths, because...

The game modes are key. The characters have certain advantages and weaknesses, making them fit or unfit for certain maps and modes, and getting good with a character (plus its ultimate skill) feels very rewarding. There's a huge difference between a good and a bad Deadeye by McCree, for example.

I should also mention that OW is far more enjoyable when played as a group (be it small or full).

4 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

It's TF2 with waifus.

What do people find so appealing? That the characters have "attitude", the game modes are entertaining enough; there's no team deathmatch, for example, which is surprising but works to OW's strengths, because...

The game modes are key. The characters have certain advantages and weaknesses, making them fit or unfit for certain maps and modes, and getting good with a character (plus its ultimate skill) feels very rewarding. There's a huge difference between a good and a bad Deadeye by McCree, for example.

I should also mention that OW is far more enjoyable when played as a group (be it small or full).

I can see why they think the characters are interesting but 2 skills and a ult.... doesn't seem like a lot but maybe that is just me comparing it to LOL.