Pqube localizing Steins;Gate 0, 2016, PS4/Vita, Preorders Up

Funyarinpa

1 hour ago, Zakamutt said:

Does Persona 4 even keep honorifics? They even had Nanako use "big bro" in the dub, so that would be a bit weird to me. I played the european PS2 version, might be a difference.

It does keep other honorifics (Rise-Chan etc.) which is not an issue at all because P4 is Japanese as fuck. 

I think honorifics should (and have to be) be mantained only if those conditions are met:

- The product is placed in Japan, with japanese people speaking Japanese

- There are some dialog lines specifically focused on honorifics usage, or there are specific situation in which the removal of honrifics will hamper the plot, create confusion, or things won't make sense anymore without heavy changes to the script.

- There's no way to directly translate (or simulate) the honorific in question

Otherwise it's like directly translate italian formal speech pattern (he/she instead of you) into english: "Sir, would he like another cup of tea?" "Mr. Jhonson, his flight will take off in less then 30 minutes, he better leave as soon as possible", if you are unfamiliar with the language things will easily stop to make sense. Sure, you will lose some nuances, but you definitely have to always use "you" in english.

Edited by WinterfuryZX

Honorifics aside, I was a little bit bothered by some character coding errors I saw yesterday... more specifically, there's a foreign concept which has a vocal with an umlaut  (an "ö") and it appears like 6 times in a conversation, but the ö was replaced by a ?.

Looks like that concept will appear again in the future, so... :amane:

Yeah, the Köchel numbers and the café clearly should've been caught by QC and fixed. "Cafe", though less than ideal, is a perfectly good English word at this point, and for Köchel there's even a long-established convention for writing German words with umlauts in a character set that doesn't support it.

On 12/15/2016 at 8:21 AM, WinterfuryZX said:

Coult it be a problem related to vita system language? Like Root Letter black screens and missing images?

Nah, I'd bet on it being what MiyazawaLulu hinted at - character encoding problems. Most VN scripts are encoded in Shift JIS, and those 'ö' and 'é' characters don't exist in Shift-JIS. We had exactly the same problem on the word "café" in Majo Koi Nikki as well... Until, you know, we fixed it.

7 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Nah, I'd bet on it being what MiyazawaLulu hinted at - character encoding problems. Most VN scripts are encoded in Shift JIS, and those 'ö' and 'é' characters don't exist in Shift-JIS. We had exactly the same problem on the word "café" in Majo Koi Nikki as well... Until, you know, we fixed it.

I know about shift-jis problems, When I was translating muv-luv extra I had to make a special shift-jis customized font with some kanjis redrawn as àèéì etc. I think things should be different on console, though.

Just finished Steins;gate 0

What an utter travesty. It started so promising, so interesting. I just reached the True Ending, expecting alot of questions to be answered, plot holes filled in, what have you...I got a short 1-2 minute cutscene, along with a few cryptic words.  For fucks sake, IT ENDS on a cliffhanger. I read Steins;gate, so I know the ULTIMATE fate, but still, alot that should've been down in this wasn't.

Every "Route" in this, lasted like 2 hours or so. Very short, disappointing.  Honestly, if you're a fan of Steins;gate and expected 0 to maybe fill you in  on some of the plot holes of the original - don't, it only opens up MORE plot holes. I am so mad, when I saw that the True End was just a a CG and some extra dialogue...pfft.  The original was good, but I felt upset at all the plot holes in it, and I expected Steins;gate 0, the "Interquel" or whatever, would explain the behind the scenes of why the first one wasn't a plot hole filled mess that made no sense...but it just makes it make LESS SENSE.

Yeah when the ending started I was convinced it was a special op for the true end sequence, I think Okabe just escaped from to avoid being present during the sending of d-video and reading stainer original Okabe, Mayuri was just an excuse, the worldline would have been entirely rewitten.

He deceived the world once again. 

Edited by WinterfuryZX

• 1 year later...
On 17/12/2016 at 9:31 AM, WinterfuryZX said:

I know about shift-jis problems, When I was translating muv-luv extra I had to make a special shift-jis customized font with some kanjis redrawn as àèéì etc. I think things should be different on console, though.

I know it had been over a year, but do you still have that custom Shift Jis? I am translating Demonbane, and even though It is not nearly difficult as messing with rUGP, I am still having a hard time with the accents.

If you can at least tell me how to modify my own files will more than suffice! Thank you in advance!

On 26/2/2018 at 8:50 PM, AstralSword said:

I know it had been over a year, but do you still have that custom Shift Jis? I am translating Demonbane, and even though It is not nearly difficult as messing with rUGP, I am still having a hard time with the accents.

If you can at least tell me how to modify my own files will more than suffice! Thank you in advance!

I abandoned the project many years ago.. I should still have the file backed up somewhere, though...

9 minutes ago, WinterfuryZX said:

I abandoned the project many years ago.. I should still have the file backed up somewhere, though...

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I would not like to impose, but could you look for it when you have the time? It would save me a lot of time afterwards! There are 807 nss files, which I am saving as Unicode txt to keep the special characters.

If I can save the translation directly in the Shift-Jis nss, will speed up the entire process big time!

Also, that is too bad about the project. Muv Luv is one of the greatest stories I have ever read, and the major thing that works as a downer is the engine.

• 9 months later...
On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:41 PM, AstralSword said:

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I would not like to impose, but could you look for it when you have the time? It would save me a lot of time afterwards! There are 807 nss files, which I am saving as Unicode txt to keep the special characters.

If I can save the translation directly in the Shift-Jis nss, will speed up the entire process big time!

Also, that is too bad about the project. Muv Luv is one of the greatest stories I have ever read, and the major thing that works as a downer is the engine.

Sorry for the VEEEERY late reply but I fucking found it! In an old 2.5" HD I tought I'd formatted and wiped long ago, still interested? (I also found all the old WIP files, LOL)

Edited by WinterfuryZX