Discussion of member VN collections (via the new VNDB link under the avatar)

sanahtlig

Now that we have a handy link for VNDB profiles (thanks Tay!), it's time for a long overdue discussion of people's VN collections. It's pretty fascinating just to click through the various profiles of people you know and see what they've been playing.

Myself, I've played quite a number of VNs, many of them in Japanese and often with gameplay elements, and this is pretty clear from my profile. Because of my focus on gameplay titles heedless of the language barrier, I've actually missed out on a number of popular fan-translated titles that many people here have probably played.

I've played a lot of VNs, mostly short and medium length ones with no gameplay. I'm also somewhat of a harsh critic, with only one VN rated ten ond only five VNs rated 9 and 8.

I see that the vast majority of the titles you've played are in English, yet a few aren't. How did you play those? Machine translation?

The new link has pretty much shamed me into updating my VNDB profile (work in progress). I haven't used it before, but -- like you said, I'm really enjoying surfing/creeping through people's profiles, seeing the games they like, and noting player trends. I'm a data-lover in general, and this new feature has sparked another analytics urge in me : )

Well, thanks to those new features, you should be able to see that I played through an incredibly small amount of VNs. Time to get to work on those VNs I'm slacking off on.

Looking through your profile, I notice the glaring absence of bad games. Adding bad games to your repertoire provides the perspective necessary to appreciate the better ones.

I suggest playing a Softhouse-Seal title: http://vndb.org/v4857

Cool. Updated my profile.

I'm sure I've said this elsewhere but I haven't read as many VNs as others. I read stuff both in English and Japanese. Also, as you can see I've yet to give anything a 10. Hell, even Muramasa "only" got a 9 from me. I'm still waiting for a VN that will make me go "okay, this was orgasmic from start to finish without a single dull moment".

I find it hilarious how VNDB actually gives you a pop up window with an "are you absolutely sure this VN deserves a 10?" if you click on that rating. And yet while browsing random lists I see some people give out 10s like it was candy, haha.

I'm sure some people will nerd rage upon seeing the score I gave Fate/stay Night. =P

<-------

I am probably missing a few, but I've played most of the english translated VN's. And only a couple japanese ones. Haven't rated CC or Little Busters though. Little Busters is a bit too hard to be objective about and CC seems to be an entirely different experience in jap, so.

And yes, I abuse the shit out of decimal scores.

Also I will probably never rate anything a 10.

Looking through your profile, I notice the glaring absence of bad games. Adding bad games to your repertoire provides the perspective necessary to appreciate the better ones.

I suggest playing a Softhouse-Seal title: http://vndb.org/v4857

Or better yet, play a bad nukige and then a game considered to be one of the best. It's an amazing experience.

I'm sure some people will nerd rage upon seeing the score I gave Fate/stay Night. =P

Same here for my score for Clannad. I'm sorry, but I found all of the stories unoriginal and didn't care about the characters. I gave it the highest score I possibly could for a game like that.

I am probably missing a few, but I've played most of the english translated VN's.

That's completely and utterly false. Where are all the nukige that comprise at least half of localized VNs?

One of the most disappointing titles for me was Koihime Musou. That was supposed to be one of Mangagamer's better releases, and it's their bestseller, but the story itself is awful and cliched.

To be honest I wish VNDB would add a 'to play' or something category. I am adding VNs I WANT TO PLAY in stalled. lol

I think that's exactly what the wishlist is for.

Yeah, right now I'm more on an "everything I played ranges from really good to elder-god tier" state, and the scores I give don't mean much.

Can't really see myself reading through a bad VN that's longer than a few hours though.

Yeah, right now I'm more on an "everything I played ranges from really good to elder-god tier" state, and the scores I give don't mean much.

Can't really see myself reading through a bad VN that's longer than a few hours though.

Softhouse-Seal titles should fit your needs.