Making a Youtube Channel based on VNs?

yasuokirito

Don't you think it's a good idea to make one? I'm thinking on making one cos I'm quite interested in having one and I have loads of VNs ready for me to play so why not do a youtube channel based on that? I'm not too sure whether it'll be a successful channel but it sure sounds like plenty of fun! I figured this channel can be based all out of VN so it could provide like a weekly VNs translation updates or any new VNs coming out? What do you think?

Well there are several Youtubers that play vn's on their channels like LostPause or TheAnimeMan, you'd have to limit yourself to all ages or censoring the fuck out of whatever you play and also other rules that apply to youtube.

It's not easy but could be done I guess also lenght might also prove a bit difficult when it comes to keeping up the interest of the audience, if you're charismatic or provide great commentary maybe would work but there's also copyright issues which may get in your way when playing things from Sekai Project for example, there's been cases when they only allowed youtubers to play only until a certain part of the vn.

I know i'm probably sounding super pessimistic but I know it's not easy to do but if you can pull it off then it might be great. Best of luck regardless

7 hours ago, DarkZedge said:

Well there are several Youtubers that play vn's on their channels like LostPause or TheAnimeMan, you'd have to limit yourself to all ages or censoring the fuck out of whatever you play and also other rules that apply to youtube.

It's not easy but could be done I guess also lenght might also prove a bit difficult when it comes to keeping up the interest of the audience, if you're charismatic or provide great commentary maybe would work but there's also copyright issues which may get in your way when playing things from Sekai Project for example, there's been cases when they only allowed youtubers to play only until a certain part of the vn.

I know i'm probably sounding super pessimistic but I know it's not easy to do but if you can pull it off then it might be great. Best of luck regardless

Well at the very least, Mangagamer has some rules syaing you can monetize videos using their content, as long as certain guidlines are followed. (Keep in mind, you CANNOT do full let's plays, but you can fully show off the demos, or up to 20% of the game, not revealing massive spoilers.) This can still be used for different things, be it reviews, initial reaction videos, promotional videos, or shorter let's play type vids.

Of course, he would have to censor a lot of the games like you said, even if it's just the demo, as a lot of Mangagamer's releases are nukige. They do still have a decent amount of all ages / non nukige titles that would make for good videos now though.

The VNTS does already give information about most of the new releases etc, but of course, you can still make a channel with like a weekly VN news series. It's not like the information available on the VNTS belongs only to them. (As long as you make some unique format. If you literally just take their page and read it out loud, that would be a little... meh.)

This type of channel probably wont get the biggest following, as VNs in general are very unkown to a lot of the west, but there is still those who would follow it. I see no reason why you shouldn't give it a try. Worst case scenario, it doesn't really pay off and you quit.

Uh, @DarkZedge , @john 'mr. customer' smith and @kingdomcome,  the dude did not say he was going to make a let's play channel. In fact he specifically gave the examples of:

8 hours ago, yasuokirito said:

like a weekly VNs translation updates or any new VNs coming out

Which are far from let's plays. I would recommend you check out Rockmandash's channel, since it seems to be the closest to what you want. The current VN youtube scene does have a few notable names, but it's desolate enough for a new channel to gain recognition with enough quality videos. Good luck!

31 minutes ago, babiker said:

the dude did not say he was going to make a let's play channel

Broooo, come @ me. :makina:

31 minutes ago, babiker said:

but it's desolate enough for a new channel to gain recognition with enough quality videos

I agree with you. If you can manage to pump out consistent videos which are of high quality (well presented), I think you could do very well.

@OP: go for it.

5 hours ago, kingdomcome said:

Having a monotone voice and no humor will probably get you around 15 views a video :mellow:

15 views for each video would be quite a decent start for a new no-name channel, actually. I saw countless game channels on Youtube desperately struggling to get at least that much after several months passing and dozens of uploaded let's play/review videos.