A VN without any text at all

Forte

9 minutes ago, Forte said:

Could a visual novel without the "novel" part be called a visual novel? 

No.

The only way this could remotively work is if you have images with voice over/narration. But in this case, you get something akin to an audiobook, not a visual novel, since you're not reading anything.

You could also have just images I guess, but in this case you have something more akin to a slideshow.

something like the first half of the movie wall-e? :P
I don't know how a visual novel without text could work... I know homeless girl has a mode with only pictures and not actual text being displayed but the pictures have text on it... so I don't know if it fits on what you are asking.

4 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

No.

I guess not, huh? I thought so.

3 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

something like the first half of the movie wall-e? :P
I don't know how a visual novel without text could work... I know homeless girl has a mode with only pictures and not actual text being displayed but the pictures have text on it... so I don't know if it fits on what you are asking.

If it has any text of any kind, then it's not what I meant.

I don't know of a VN without any text, but there is a game without any text(excluding the title screen/credits) which is pretty good. It's called A Bird Story, and was made by the people who made To the Moon, which is an amazing game if you ask me.

I've never heard of such a thing, although it's conceivable that one could make something akin to what I believe you're describing through Ren'Py or similar engines...in order to distinguish that from a mere slideshow, however, you'd need to include choices and branching. Mere images and voice/music wouldn't be a VN; it'd be a half-assed animation. :P

Even then, I think that another medium would probably be superior for the presentation. One of the things that makes a VN what it is, is the almost seamless presentation of text, imagery and sound (music and/or voice) all at once.

All of that said, I can imagine this being kinda neat for a webpage-based story.

4 minutes ago, DarkZedge said:

A visual novel without text wouldn't be a novel anymore would it? to my knowledge there isn't such a thing as a Vn without any text in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wordless_novel

In all technicality, they do exist, or at least have a historical precedent. But I don't think a wordless VN has really anything to offer.

26 minutes ago, Codesterz said:

I don't know of a VN without any text, but there is a game without any text(excluding the title screen/credits) which is pretty good. It's called A Bird Story, and was made by the people who made To the Moon, which is an amazing game if you ask me.

As much as something like this isn't a VN, that's about as irrelevant as the discussion of whether or not VNs are games.

I'm sure there are plenty of possibilities (and examples) of telling a story with just images and sound, and I think the whole point of the question was to ask for stuff like that

Just now, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

As much as something like this isn't a VN, that's about as irrelevant as the discussion of whether or not VNs are games.

I'm sure there are plenty of possibilities (and examples) of telling a story with just images and sound, and I think the whole point of the question was to ask for stuff like that

No they aren't VNs, but I feel like A Bird Story isn't all that far off either. The only gameplay is walking around from my memory. Seeing how Corpse Party can be called a VN I don't see why A Bird Story can't be.

2 hours ago, Codesterz said:

No they aren't VNs, but I feel like A Bird Story isn't all that far off either. The only gameplay is walking around from my memory. Seeing how Corpse Party can be called a VN I don't see why A Bird Story can't be.

Exactly, and even if there is a strict definition of what a VN is and what it isn't, so what? I think the idea of a kind of visual novel except without text is an interesting one that deserves exploration

1 minute ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

Exactly, and even if there is a strict definition of what a VN is and what it isn't, so what? I think the idea of a kind of visual novel except without pictures is an interesting one that deserves exploration

Honestly I don't see a VN with no text being interesting or engaging if it just uses pictures. I think using 3d models or animated sprites would work best as then you can rely more heavily on animation to tell your story. Music will likely have to play a more vital role as well.

Just now, Codesterz said:

Honestly I don't see a VN with no text being interesting or engaging if it just uses pictures. I think using 3d models or animated sprites would work best as then you can rely more heavily on animation to tell your story. Music will likely have to play a more vital role as well.

good point, though i'm sure it's still possible

36 minutes ago, CatSoul said:

It's not really a visual novel at all then, is it? It's just a...visual.

Although the novel part isn't what makes it a VN either.

A VN is a VN as long as the community accepts it as a VN.

That said, one could understand a story without part of the text given the voice acting. Maybe a fully narrated game could be the equivalent of what Forte is asking about. I'd be curious about something like that too.

Sure, stretching definitions and everything VNs without text could exist, just take any current VN you know and remove the text :P. It'd be pretty fun going through Clannad without any text. Just gotta have the protag voice all of the inner monologues and rely 100% on listening to voices to get the story.

Though, I guess then it'll = audiobook or something

It’s absolutely possible. And, done well — expressive CGs with a smart use of pacing, framing, music, and silence — it could be quite interesting. I’d sure as heck “read” it.

As Makudomi pointed out, there’s already a whole body of wordless novels. There have been any number of wordless plays, most notably “The Hour We Knew Nothing of Each Other.” And there are long stretches of Tarkovsky's films that don't have a lick of dialogue. These are artistic works that succeed in conveying meaning despite their apparent “emptiness.” (Whereas something like John Cage’s 4’33” of silence, I’d argue, is all conceit and no content.)

I also think you could have a visual novel without any images at all — i.e., typography as art — but that’s a different ball of wax entirely. :)

A short, free PC title called Nuign Specter was created in 2012. It's described on Tvtropes.org as a video game which tells a story through actions, and with only two lines of text. The site considers it to be a visual novel. I'm not sure if Nuign Specter will match up with other people's definitions of visual novels. However, it's a story driven computer game which is not meant to challenge the player's skills.