Anime Central Speculation and Announcement Thread

Decay

6 hours ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

Why don't they just put steins;gate on steam? 

5pb/Kadokawa plans to release it by themselves.

http://follow.jastusa.com/post/138524073341/im-a-big-fan-of-nitroplus-games-especially-their

The S;G series is part controlled by 5pb/Kadokawa, they seem to want to do things on their own since we were not even allowed to release S;G on steam (They want to do that on their own too) so it’s unlikely that you will see that series coming from anyone but 5pb anytime soon unless they change their mind.

Well, who knows, maybe the western VN release will be a year away. It would be great if they could get a fast turnaround on this and release it soon after or on the Japanese release day. It's not that infeasible, considering the bulk of the TL is done on both Rewrite and Havest Festa. They just have the new/modified stuff the plus version brings to translate.

And yeah, at this point I'm just assuming they're going to use the Ixrec translation as a matter of course. Maybe they'll edit it a little, hopefully?

They're definitely going to use Ixrec's translation and that's why people in their right mind should pirate it without questions.  It's frankly intolerable that Ixrec's TL is seen as good enough to market it. Key is just too lazy and would do anything for easy money (how surprising) even if they're selling a fantranslation that should remain free. (and I highly doubt they will put much work in editing, if they even do that)

7 minutes ago, Decay said:

If you don't think Ixrec's translation is worth reading, then don't read it. If you think it is, then pay for it if you can. I'm not sure how you can justify any other argument.

Yeah, I was about to say something similar xD

If you want a product, try and buy it in some manner, if you don’t want a product why bother reading it at all? If translation quality is important to you, and you're presented with a inferior product, why not just pass on it? I don’t read a lot of VNs precisely because they have less than stellar translations. What I don't say is ‘man this translation sucks and as someone who cares about quality, reading this is like sticking a thousand needles into my eyes… but I’m still going to read it all the same like a fucking masochist. Except I'll grab it for free because that will make me feel better when I start crying tears of blood.'

10 minutes ago, Decay said:

If you don't think Ixrec's translation is worth reading, then don't read it. If you think it is, then pay for it if you can. I'm not sure how you can justify any other argument.

The problem with a bad translation being marketed is that it destroys any hope of having an actual good translation of the VN in the future (unless some really dedicated fantranslator decide to re-translate the VN just for the sake of it). I already read Rewrite and that's precisely because I did that I want the VN to finally have a proper translation. Looks like it was nothing but a pipe dream.

The guys who were working on the Angel Beats fan translation have confirmed they're abandoning the project but will release whatever they have as-is:
https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/4kiheg/visual_arts_exec_confirms_half_of_angel_beats_1st/d3f7eu0

Must have sucked pretty badly to not even be contacted by Key, considering they had been working on it for a while now, but that's why you don't take chances like this. I hope they find another project to work on in the future.

3 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

Must have sucked pretty badly to not even be contacted by Key, considering Key had been working on it for a while now, but that's why you don't take chances like this. I hope they find another project to work on in the future.

I think it'd be too much to expect Key to be completely on top of what's going in the fan scene. 

Hmm, whoa. I thought Key jumped on western train pretty hard with Clannad/LB/Tomoyo After. It looks I was wrong though. Haven't watched AB anime, because VN came out in in Japan, and now it looks like I'll be able to buy and read it in 2017-18, neat!

Just now, Rooke said:

I think it'd be too much to expect Key to be completely on top of what's going in the fan scene. 

I don't know, it feels strange they wouldn't notice a project to translate their most recent title, especially because they're fully aware of fan translations for their other titles.
Although it is true that the AB fan translation is kind of "underground" in comparison to all the others. They mostly stuck around Reddit (I don't think they had a website).
Perhaps this was their fatal flaw.

2 hours ago, Chuee said:

You'd be surprised. Frontwing apparently found out about the guy that translated Chiruchiru, and there wasn't much at all floating around about that project. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy contacted Frontwing himself. He approached Sekai and was pissed at the way Dovac treated him.