Tell us about your inexplicable mental associations

I noticed I have a lot of these. The one that just popped into my head (and I could not possibly guess why I remembered it): I played SaGa Frontier and read Othello around the same time, so Emelia and Emilia mixed in my head, and now whenever I see a performance of Othello and Iago's dumpy wife isn't cast as a well-endowed blond woman, I find it vaguely unsettling.

My brain is weird; yours probably is, too. What weird mental associations do you have?

This guy named Tiag keeps insisting his name is Tiggers and that he's not from Verela, but I know better. 

~~

For the longest time ever, I pronounced inventory as in-ven-tery instead of in-vin-tory. When I had people finally call me out on that, I was like ??? mindblown

And I spelled axel the KH guy instead of axle

We meet again, Baader-Meinhoff. Just yesterday I was thinking about how sometimes I get songs strongly associated with something if I do it while listening to the song.

For example, I listened to a few Blue Stahli songs on repeat while playing Minecraft several years ago, and now I immediately think of Minecraft when I hear them. Similarly I did quite a bit of coding while listening to Fukkireta so when I hear that I think of coding.

I guess technically they're not inexplicable though :miyako:

Same here about associating songs with activities :)

For something inexplicable though: I have no idea why, but I strongly associate the number 128 with raspberry yoghurt. I don't even eat raspberry yoghurt.

Well, whenever I see Rooke in a thread, I immediately think that his post is about prose.

I was proven wrong in this thread, but it's still an association I commit most of the time.

Also, about this...

5 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

For the longest time ever, I pronounced inventory as in-ven-tery instead of in-vin-tory. When I had people finally call me out on that, I was like ??? mindblown

We pronounce it in-ven-to-ry, but we're not really a country of origin for the English language. I guess its because of how syllabic our own national language is.

i sometimes use spray-cans from a brand wich put some sweet sugar-like scent to hide the crappy solvent smell. now i 'm forever disgusted of cotton candy,and i always think about it when i start to paint a wall.  

5 hours ago, Clephas said:

Record of Lodoss War, episode 4, RG Veda, cold Papa John's Pizza, a green polyester couch, cheap gray carpet, a wall unit AC.

Oddly specific. I like it!

I remembered another one, after Flutterz extracted the general pattern: Gnomeregan and Fall Out Boy's first (popular) album, completely entertwined. I haven't played WoW in years, but if I ever listen to that album, my mind immediately starts conjuring up images of that dungeon. I never even listened to music when I used to play WoW, but I think I might have had a conversation with a college roommate about Fall Out Boy while watching him play? I dunno, but it's a really strong association, still kicking around a decade after it was born.

This is basically how I listen to music, if I cant associate it with a timeline or an "inner music video" if you will, then I most likely wont be listening to it. I have a lot of those tbh, ill just post the first that springs to mind.

reminds me of the first part in euphoria.

This is simply about the end of the world, fucking nuclear war. It reminds me of destruction and mankind destroying the earth.

It also reminds me of my favorite anime, Saikano.

fun fact: when I try my hardest to not think about anything, the first thing that springs to mind is chicken so chicken and nothing is something that connects in my mind I guess

9 minutes ago, Hanako said:

Also we I buy something I don't look how much I pay but how many manga I could have bought with this money which lead to some situation where I say "I bought 2 manga of drink":marie: 

Heh, I have something slightly similar now I think about it. I measure the duration of some events in 'Shreks', Shrek being a 90 minute film (more or less). I have been known to describe exam lengths as '1 and a third Shreks'.

10 hours ago, KosakiFag said:

Well, whenever I see Rooke in a thread, I immediately think that his post is about prose.

I was proven wrong in this thread, but it's still an association I commit most of the time.

Also, about this...

We pronounce it in-ven-to-ry, but we're not really a country of origin for the English language. I guess its because of how syllabic our own national language is.

isn't it pronounced in-ven-to-ry?! WHAT THE HELL IS THIS MESS?!?!?!?!?! :conspiracy:

The best one I have is probably that the smell of pubic sweat reminds me of Indomie instant noodles

Which sucks because it makes me crave noodles

I associate the Spice and Wolf anime (only the anime) with the initial layout of furniture in my apartment, when it was rather barren, before I got almost all of the furniture I currently have.

Also, Aaron, you should know that I'm eating pasta with homemade Bolognese sauce right now, and it's pretty great. Fortunately I'm not also listening to LeAnn Rimes.

On 16/05/2016 at 1:39 AM, Kawasumi said:

This is simply about the end of the world, fucking nuclear war. It reminds me of destruction and mankind destroying the earth.

I like... nice beat.

Anytime I hear the term "CIS Scum" on the interwebs, I instantly think of

This explains it exactly:

Revenge+of+the+cis_34d65b_5280576.png