Black Sands Entertainment

Been having a hard time finding a publisher, what is your advice

I know it's uncommon for a company to explicitly say they are having issues landing a publisher but I have been extremely active with you guys and value your opinions on the matter. What do you feel I need to court publishers? I am clearly not going for the trend in the genre.

So what are your opinions on this matter?

Also mods, you can destroy this in 3 days. This is mostly to understand where I might improve.

9kFoZ4l_zpsn4x9m9d5.jpg

Publishers do 3 things:

- Finance you
- Advertise your product
- Distribute your product

If you’re releasing your game in digital format only, reason number 3 is gone. If your kickstarter proves successful you won’t need reason number 1 (and TBH, you’ll be hard pressed finding a publisher willing to finance an OELVN.) That leaves reason number 2, and publishers like MG or even Sekai don’t do a whole lot on the marketing front.

I would seriously question the need for one, TBH. My favourite indie, Jeff Vogel, never needed a publisher and he’s been chugging along for more than 20 years now

16 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Publishers do 3 things:

- Finance you
- Advertise your product

If you’re releasing your game in digital format only, reason number 3 is gone. If your kickstarter proves successful you won’t need reason number 1 (and TBH, you’ll be hard pressed finding a publisher willing to finance an OELVN.) That leaves reason number 2, and publishers like MG or even Sekai don’t do a whole lot on the marketing front.

I would seriously question the need for one, TBH. My favourite indie, Jeff Vogel, never needed a publisher and he’s been chugging along for more than 20 years now

Yeah I am just looking for goodwill. I can finance it myself with kickstarter and my own funds. It's that PR

54 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Publishers do 3 things:

- Finance you
- Advertise your product

Reason number 3 isn't gone with a digital-only game. They either eliminate the need for a Steam Greenlight trial or they handle it themselves, which is always interesting. Besides, they make the job of connecting your game with the audience a lot easier, having it sold across as many platforms as possible and getting them into bundles, selling in clusters and whatnot.

It's always extremely interesting to have a publisher. Tell me, whom have you talked to so far? Do you have a 100% clear definition of your target audience in terms of age, sex and online behavior? It could just be you're better off with a publisher completely unrelated to visual novels but which relates a lot more to some other aspect of your game (in your case, diversity could be a good bet) - Devolver Digital and Hatoful Boyfriend was a very fruitful partnership.

Some names you may not know but who have a history or will to publish VNs or similar genres:

Besides, have you trained your pitches and worked on your connections? This one Gamasutra article has useful information, if you haven't read it.

Advertising is what you're missing out on with no publisher.  To compensate, you need to find partners who will help you promote your product.  Talk to MangaGamer and Sekai Project about carrying your title in their store.  Talk to press outlets and fansites that cover visual novels (Fuwanovel, LewdGamer, Siliconera).  Talk to Reddit about allowing you to post occasional updates, or if that's impossible, partner with a well-known user who will champion your game for you.

You don't need a publisher to succeed, but realize that you'll be responsible for all the duties a publisher would perform for you.

Just now, sanahtlig said:

Advertising is what you're missing out on with no publisher.  To compensate, you need to find partners who will help you promote your product.  Talk to MangaGamer and Sekai Project about carrying your title in their store.  Talk to press outlets and fansites that cover visual novels (Fuwanovel, LewdGamer, Siliconera).  Talk to Reddit about allowing you to post occasional updates, or if that's impossible, partner with a well-known user who will champion your game for you.

You don't need a publisher to succeed, but realize that you'll be responsible for all the duties a publisher would perform for you.

yeah its a royal pain. I manage an 8 person team lol.