Been having a hard time finding a publisher, what is your advice

I know it's uncommon for a company to explicitly say they are having issues landing a publisher but I have been extremely active with you guys and value your opinions on the matter. What do you feel I need to court publishers? I am clearly not going for the trend in the genre.

So what are your opinions on this matter?

Also mods, you can destroy this in 3 days. This is mostly to understand where I might improve.

9kFoZ4l_zpsn4x9m9d5.jpg

Publishers do 3 things:

- Finance you
- Advertise your product
- Distribute your product

If you’re releasing your game in digital format only, reason number 3 is gone. If your kickstarter proves successful you won’t need reason number 1 (and TBH, you’ll be hard pressed finding a publisher willing to finance an OELVN.) That leaves reason number 2, and publishers like MG or even Sekai don’t do a whole lot on the marketing front.

I would seriously question the need for one, TBH. My favourite indie, Jeff Vogel, never needed a publisher and he’s been chugging along for more than 20 years now

16 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Publishers do 3 things:

- Finance you
- Advertise your product
- Distribute your product

If you’re releasing your game in digital format only, reason number 3 is gone. If your kickstarter proves successful you won’t need reason number 1 (and TBH, you’ll be hard pressed finding a publisher willing to finance an OELVN.) That leaves reason number 2, and publishers like MG or even Sekai don’t do a whole lot on the marketing front.

I would seriously question the need for one, TBH. My favourite indie, Jeff Vogel, never needed a publisher and he’s been chugging along for more than 20 years now

Yeah I am just looking for goodwill. I can finance it myself with kickstarter and my own funds. It's that PR

Advertising is what you're missing out on with no publisher.  To compensate, you need to find partners who will help you promote your product.  Talk to MangaGamer and Sekai Project about carrying your title in their store.  Talk to press outlets and fansites that cover visual novels (Fuwanovel, LewdGamer, Siliconera).  Talk to Reddit about allowing you to post occasional updates, or if that's impossible, partner with a well-known user who will champion your game for you.

You don't need a publisher to succeed, but realize that you'll be responsible for all the duties a publisher would perform for you.

Just now, sanahtlig said:

Advertising is what you're missing out on with no publisher.  To compensate, you need to find partners who will help you promote your product.  Talk to MangaGamer and Sekai Project about carrying your title in their store.  Talk to press outlets and fansites that cover visual novels (Fuwanovel, LewdGamer, Siliconera).  Talk to Reddit about allowing you to post occasional updates, or if that's impossible, partner with a well-known user who will champion your game for you.

You don't need a publisher to succeed, but realize that you'll be responsible for all the duties a publisher would perform for you.

yeah its a royal pain. I manage an 8 person team lol.