The Rom and/or Com challenge is on

On 2017-6-9 at 10:08 AM, skrewball717 said:

Ah sorry, I'm always having trouble trying to keep track of the alternate names of shows. Well I still heavily rec the other 3. Best of luck. I have all of the shows on file so lemme know if you can't find a good place to get them.

Started watching bakuman and after only a few episodes I love it! This is great stuff. 

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, ittaku said:

Started watching bakuman and after only a few episodes I love it! This is great stuff. 

Yay, Bakuman! Oh man, I love that show so much, and it gets progressively better the more you watch it. I also have a bit of a theory as to what motivated its creation, but I'll hold off on that until after you finish.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see Tsuki ga Kirei in your list, but I'm assuming you've at least tried it out.
I would highly recommend it as a simple romance. It's very much a story that could happen to anyone, and that's also its strength: because the way characters act is not exaggerated in any way I found myself actually empathising with the characters. I didn't have much of a school life but I definitely felt that the characters were very much like students their age would be.

5 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I don't see Tsuki ga Kirei in your list, but I'm assuming you've at least tried it out.
I would highly recommend it as a simple romance. It's very much a story that could happen to anyone, and that's also its strength: because the way characters act is not exaggerated in any way I found myself actually empathising with the characters. I didn't have much of a school life but I definitely felt that the characters were very much like students their age would be.

It's there. I watched it and really enjoyed it for the same reasons you said (it's in my ultimately satisfying endings thread.)

@skrewball717 Bakuman was excellent. I loved it to bits. I found the heroes shouting ganbarimasu was a little too frequent but apart from that the pacing, characters and story were great. I loved the way it ended with tension on each episode like a sport anime and had that quality that made it hard to not keep watching. I loved the fact that I got 75 episodes of something so enjoyable to watch too in this world of short series. And I really loved Saori Hayami as the heroine even though she was not really a lead character compared to the others - she's one of my all time favourite VAs and her climactic scene was awesome.The ending was beautiful too. Definitely one I'll rewatch with my wife; I'm sure she'll love it too. 9/10

7 hours ago, ittaku said:

@skrewball717 Bakuman was excellent. I loved it to bits. I found the heroes shouting ganbarimasu was a little too frequent but apart from that the pacing, characters and story were great. I loved the way it ended with tension on each episode like a sport anime and had that quality that made it hard to not keep watching. I loved the fact that I got 75 episodes of something so enjoyable to watch too in this world of short series. And I really loved Saori Hayami as the heroine even though she was not really a lead character compared to the others - she's one of my all time favourite VAs and her climactic scene was awesome.The ending was beautiful too. Definitely one I'll rewatch with my wife; I'm sure she'll love it too. 9/10

Glad you enjoyed it. Bakuman is a great anime. I'll see if I can dig up something else for ya.

After another quick look through my list I have a few suggestions.

Firstly is Honey and Clover: Really really funny show with decent romance throughout. Also freaking cute.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/16/Hachimitsu_to_Clover

Next up is Touch: It is a long baseball related series with a constant look at romance throughout. Seeing that you liked Cross Game, this would be right up your alley. Though I must say, it is quite long.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/1065/Touch

Third up is Genshiken: This doesn't have romance as it's main focus, but with various characters, including the MC there is romance throughout. Lots of great comedy too and it's setting is college so a little more mature-themed in a way.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/240/Genshiken

Fourth up is Skip Beat: Really, really funny show about a girl who decides she wants to be an actress. Solid romance and just...it's damn funny.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/4722/Skip_Beat

I would again like to re-rec Baby Steps: It may be a sports anime, but the romantic undertones are there throughout with bits of comedy thrown in.

Hopefully something here catches your fancy.

1 minute ago, skrewball717 said:

After another quick look through my list I have a few suggestions.

Firstly is Honey and Clover: Really really funny show with decent romance throughout. Also freaking cute.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/16/Hachimitsu_to_Clover

Next up is Touch: It is a long baseball related series with a constant look at romance throughout. Seeing that you liked Cross Game, this would be right up your alley. Though I must say, it is quite long.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/1065/Touch

Third up is Genshiken: This doesn't have romance as it's main focus, but with various characters, including the MC there is romance throughout. Lots of great comedy too and it's setting is college so a little more mature-themed in a way.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/240/Genshiken

Fourth up is Skip Beat: Really, really funny show about a girl who decides she wants to be an actress. Solid romance and just...it's damn funny.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/4722/Skip_Beat

I would again like to re-rec Baby Steps: It may be a sports anime, but the romantic undertones are there throughout with bits of comedy thrown in.

Hopefully something here catches your fancy.

I hated honey and clover for its continual romantic tension and failed resolution and gave up and it's on my won't finish list on ANN.

The rest I'll investigate when time permits, thanks very much!

Just now, ittaku said:

I hated honey and clover for its continual romantic tension and failed resolution and gave up and it's on my won't finish list on ANN.

The rest I'll investigate when time permits, thanks very much!

Yeah, I rated the first season of it quite a bit higher than the second season for that reason...worth a shot =)

3 minutes ago, skrewball717 said:

Yeah, I rated the first season of it quite a bit higher than the second season for that reason...worth a shot =)

An overt romantic theme with failed resolution is my biggest hatred in anime probably on par with hero/ine death. So one of the most highly rated romances ever is one of my most hated animes for doing BOTH even though I was forced to give it a high rating because of its overall quality.

Spoiler

Your lie in April. I even picked shortly after hints were given early in the series that Kaori was going to die, but kept holding onto hope till the very last episode where I wanted to put my boot through the monitor.

1 minute ago, ittaku said:

An overt romantic theme with failed resolution is my biggest hatred in anime probably on par with hero/ine death. So one of the most highly rated romances ever is one of my most hated animes for doing BOTH even though I was forced to give it a high rating because of its overall quality.

Hide contents

Your lie in April. I even picked shortly after hints were given early in the series that Kaori was going to die, but kept holding onto hope till the very last episode where I wanted to put my boot through the monitor.

Yeah...I literally cried. I don't regret watching it though. Also...the animation of his teacher's daughter was just too freaking great. There were ways they could've stitched up the ending better even after that happened, but oh well.

On 6/21/2017 at 10:24 AM, Kenshin_sama said:

I also have a bit of a theory as to what motivated its creation, but I'll hold off on that until after you finish.

Okay, I guess I'll go ahead and talk about it now. :P

Alright, so you know how Bakuman is written by the author of Death Note, right? Well, I think the part of the story where they weren't allowed to end their manga might actually be related. I think the author had a very specific ending in mind with Death Note, but Shonen Jump wanted to keep publishing due to the title's popularity. And so he decided to write about it in Bakuman. At least that's what I think happened. Kinda interesting that Jump let him publish it at all, and I'm glad they were decent enough to let it happen, lol. It seems like they let him end Bakuman where he wanted to as well.

Edited by Kenshin_sama

31 minutes ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Okay, I guess I'll go ahead and talk about it now. :P

Hide contents

Alright, so you know how Bakuman is written by the author of Death Note, right? Well, I think the part of the story where they weren't allowed to end their manga might actually be related. I think the author had a very specific ending in mind with Death Note, but Shonen Jump wanted to keep publishing due to the title's popularity. And so he decided to write about it in Bakuman. At least that's what I think happened. Kinda interesting that Jump let him publish it at all, and I'm glad they were decent enough to let it happen, lol. It seems like they let him end Bakuman where he wanted to as well.

Interesting theory. It actually makes a lot of sense.