Clannad: After Story. Shima and the Cat

Gyoko

SPOILERS AHEAD!

So, around episode 6 there's a small arc about Misae's past. I suppose you already watched it, so I'll jump straight to the question - who the hell was the guy that was with Misae all the time? Was it the cat or the real Shima?

We know that the ghost (I'll continue with this term to avoid confusion) did not remember quite a few things back from his life, which is plausible for both a cat - he had no need to know those things and Shima - memory loss. The ghost also said once that he met Misae, because he was asked to do so, and that he is not real Shima - around the same time we learn that he's a ghost. That's about it. Then the romance and disappearance of the ghost in front of Misae.

When Tomoya wakes up, he confirms that the cat was the one who showed this dream. When all of them go to the festival, cat runs to the place where Shima and Misae confessed their feelings. Tomoya speaks up letting Misae know that he's aware of the ghost and that it in fact was the cat. After which Misae says "Guess I'll play with you a lot today". Before we continue... WTF? Was she talking about intercourse? Then Tomoya acts like a transmitter and tells Misae that Shima wants her to live on, that he's a cat so they can't mate.  Then cat's flashbacks - he's sitting on the lap of somebody in the wheelchair/chair(I'm not sure), and his inner dialogue where he talks about his master. That's pretty much it.

So who was the ghost? I've read on yahoo answers this:

Katsuki Shima died. He had a charm that contained one of the light orbs. Coupled with his regret he essentially cast the deed of repaying Misae onto his cat. His cat can then take his form. So then he's able to communicate with her. Once the regret of not being able to repay Misae is lifted, Katsuki was then able to leave this world and finally rest. So all that's left is Katsuki's regular cat.  - which means love happened between Misae and Shima. But if it was Shima's mind in the ghost body, why did he say that he's doing a task for someone, and that he's not the real Shima? 

I'm really confused since I don't understand with whom Misae fell in love with. The cat or Shima...

Couz it could be the cat all the way

RRPco3Q.jpg

It's the cat all the time. I don't remember how it was in anime, but in VN it's quite clear that >original Shima's< cat has been changed into human to grant the wish of >original Shima< to repay Misae for her kindness.

So Misae fell in love with a cat ;P

It was very clearly the cat in the anime as well, I thought, and I actually thought this particular story was told a little better in the anime than in the VN.

Also, I thought it was really sweet. Misae's arc is one of my favorite stories in Clannad (though, yes, I have shit taste). My take on it is that the dying Shima made the wish he did for the sake of both the cat and Misae, and that they met each other and became a happy family as a result of that wish (important for any analysis of Clannad: get the word family in there).

Also:

5 hours ago, Gyoko said:

...Misae says "Guess I'll play with you a lot today". Before we continue... WTF? Was she talking about intercourse?

WTF, no. At least, that's not how anybody I know plays with their pets.

7 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Misae's arc is one of my favorite stories in Clannad (though, yes, I have shit taste).

I love the arc too : D The topic wouldn't concern me so much in the other case. Although the fact that it's a cat... Sigh, it ruined all of it.

7 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

At least, that's not how anybody I know plays with their pets.

b64d44a738faef77f447a7cc9554b94d20112b83

7 hours ago, Gyoko said:

After which Misae says "Guess I'll play with you a lot today". Before we continue... WTF? Was she talking about intercourse?

... I have to say that i did think about it that way in one of my rewatches. But no, she definitely didn't mean that x)