Favorite Quote

Heyitsjiwon

So, I'm sure that everyone has a role model, or some sort of saying that they try to adhere to. Whether the saying is from a fictional or non-fictional character, a quote can have profound impact on someone. I would like to get some wisdom and conversation spreading and will start by asking what is your most favorite quote. Course, if the quote may spoil something about a VN or a game, then please tell us where the quote is from and then put the quote in a spoiler tab.

Now, here is one of my most favorite motivational quotes:

"Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb."

-Winston Churchill

Although I can't really vouch for Churchill for his actions as a politician and a person, I think he is one hell of a speaker with a quick wit and a sense of humor.

My two favorite quotes are the ones in my signature, from Saya no Uta:

"In this world, reality is what the majority says it is, and I had the misfortune to step outside of that box." -Sakisaka Fuminori (Saya no Uta)

I couldn't have said it better myself.

"How wicked and terrible Saya is! Perhaps others would fear and loathe her. I, however, find her malevolence irresistibly charming." -Sakisaka Fuminori (Saya no Uta)

Call me crazy, but I find this one of the most romantic quotes that I have ever come across. One of the main reasons why I love Saya no Uta so much is due to Fuminori's acceptance of everything about Saya, even the things morally unacceptable.

For me there is only one that comes to mind. Having spent my entire adult life as a US Marine, this strikes home for me.

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Yes, thats a quote arguing the merits of war!!

For me there is only one that comes to mind. Having spent my entire adult life as a US Marine, this strikes home for me.

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Yes, thats a quote arguing the merits of war!!

Funny you brought up this quote. I was debating over this one or the Winston Churchill quote that I posted when I was making this thread. I have a bunch of friends in the marines or in the academies. Luckily, all of them have come back from deployment in Iraq or Afghanistan so far, but one of my friends disappeared just before he was supposed to leave for his last deployment in Afghanistan. Just one more deployment and then his tour would have ended.

Anyways, I've been thinking about joining the National Guard in the future, so it should be interesting. Anyone by any chance know much about the National Guard in New York?

Funny you brought up this quote. I was debating over this one or the Winston Churchill quote that I posted when I was making this thread. I have a bunch of friends in the marines or in the academies. Luckily, all of them have come back from deployment in Iraq or Afghanistan so far, but one of my friends disappeared just before he was supposed to leave for his last deployment in Afghanistan. Just one more deployment and then his tour would have ended.

Anyways, I've been thinking about joining the National Guard in the future, so it should be interesting. Anyone by any chance know much about the National Guard in New York?

I can put you in touch with someone in the New York area who can answer your questions.

War is hell man, I did 3 tours. Over 20 years serving as a Marine it's a calling its not for everyone. However the National Guard is a good way to serve. Have many friends in the NG. If you want shoot Me a PM if you wanna talk or have any questions. That's a big decision and I would recommend educating yourself about what to expect, so your prepared(as you can be)

i would say this quote is probably one that i truly love

"I'm sorry, i don't want to be an emperor... that's not my business, i don't want to rule or conquer anyone, actually, i would like to help anyone i can if possible.. Jew.. Gentile.. black man.. white.. we all want to help one another, human beings are like that, we want to live by each other happiness, not each other misery, we don't want to hate and despise one another, in this world there's room for everyone, for the good earth is rich and can provide for everyone, the way of life could be free and beautiful, but we have lost the way... greed had poisoned men's soul, has barricaded the world with hate, had goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed. We have developed speed, but we shut ourselves in. Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical. Our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. . More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost.

The aeroplane and the radio have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in men, cries out for universal brotherhood, for the unity of us all. Even now my voice is reaching millions throughout the world — millions of despairing men, women and little children — victims of a system that makes men torture and imprison innocent people. To those who can hear me, I say — do not despair. The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed — the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

Soldiers! Don't give yourselves to brutes — men who despise you — enslave you — who regiment your lives — tell you what to do — what to think or what to feel! Who drill you, diet you, treat you like cattle, use you as cannon fodder. Don't give yourselves to these unnatural men — machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of humanity in your hearts. You don't hate! Only the unloved hate — the unloved and the unnatural!

Soldiers! Don't fight for slavery! Fight for liberty! In the 17th Chapter of St. Luke it is written: "the Kingdom of God is within man" — not one man nor a group of men, but in all men! In you! You, the people have the power — the power to create machines. The power to create happiness! You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure.

Then, in the name of democracy, let us use that power! Let us all unite! Let us fight for a new world, a decent world that will give men a chance to work, that will give youth the future and old age a security. By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power, but they lie! They do not fulfill their promise; they never will. Dictators free themselves, but they enslave the people! Now, let us fight to fulfill that promise! Let us fight to free the world, to do away with national barriers, to do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead to all men's happiness.

Soldiers! In the name of democracy, let us all unite!"

-Charlie Chaplin, The Great Dictator (1940)

Yes, a comedian said this magnificent speech, the quote is mostly referring to nazi germany during wwII, yet truer words have never been spoken, i apologize in advance since the quote is large >.<

Rider: Here, my armies once rode across the land. The place all the heroes who stood with me, through joy and sorrow, will never forget. I can make this world real because it still exists within our hearts! Behold my endless armies! Their bodies destroyed, and their souls offered to the world as Heroic Spirits. And still, these legendary heroes pledge their loyalty to me! My bond with them is my greatest treasure, my path of kingship! The ultimate Noble Phantasm that I, Iskandar, possess. Ionian Hetairoi!

I would put a lot more, but I love all of Rider's quotes from Fate Zero

i would say this quote is probably one that i truly love

"I'm sorry, i don't want to be an emperor... that's not my business, i don't want to rule or conquer anyone, actually, i would like to help anyone i can if possible.. Jew.. Gentile.. black man.. white.. we all want to help one another, human beings are like that, we want to live by each other happiness, not each other misery, we don't want to hate and despise one another, in this world there's room for everyone, for the good earth is rich and can provide for everyone, the way of life could be free and beautiful, but we have lost the way... greed had poisoned men's soul, has barricaded the world with hate, had goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed. We have developed speed, but we shut ourselves in. Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical. Our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. . More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost.

The aeroplane and the radio have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in men, cries out for universal brotherhood, for the unity of us all. Even now my voice is reaching millions throughout the world — millions of despairing men, women and little children — victims of a system that makes men torture and imprison innocent people. To those who can hear me, I say — do not despair. The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed — the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

Soldiers! Don't give yourselves to brutes — men who despise you — enslave you — who regiment your lives — tell you what to do — what to think or what to feel! Who drill you, diet you, treat you like cattle, use you as cannon fodder. Don't give yourselves to these unnatural men — machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of humanity in your hearts. You don't hate! Only the unloved hate — the unloved and the unnatural!

Soldiers! Don't fight for slavery! Fight for liberty! In the 17th Chapter of St. Luke it is written: "the Kingdom of God is within man" — not one man nor a group of men, but in all men! In you! You, the people have the power — the power to create machines. The power to create happiness! You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure.

Then, in the name of democracy, let us use that power! Let us all unite! Let us fight for a new world, a decent world that will give men a chance to work, that will give youth the future and old age a security. By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power, but they lie! They do not fulfill their promise; they never will. Dictators free themselves, but they enslave the people! Now, let us fight to fulfill that promise! Let us fight to free the world, to do away with national barriers, to do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead to all men's happiness.

Soldiers! In the name of democracy, let us all unite!"

-Charlie Chaplin, The Great Dictator (1940)

Yes, a comedian said this magnificent speech, the quote is mostly referring to nazi germany during wwII, yet truer words have never been spoken, i apologize in advance since the quote is large >.<

Hahaha I'm happy to see that quote show up. Very strong and emotional quote. I'd have probably put it up myself.

I have probably several favorite quotes, but I don't feel like digging through some of my books so I'll just post one that comes off the top of my head since I was just playing Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2: Retribution.

"Everything starting point has 3 main choices and every choice has 3 branches." -Sparkker (Bored)

Meaning:

Your choice can either be a positive, negative and a to-be decided choice. If you imagine Kagari's life theory, the two branches going to the side are the positive and negative, while the middle one is the to-be decided one. A to-be decided choice always align to a positive, negative or neutral. If it doesn't, then your story will never end. Although, it doesn't necessarily mean that the 3rd choice is always there. The 3rd choice is the neutral chain bringer that brings the possibility of going a new kind of positive.

To better Clarify: I'll give you a mini-game for you to have fun with. If you want to play it.

Situation: You found a coin.

A.Keep the coin

B.Ignore the Coin

C.Toss the coin

If you Chose a A:

You were accused of stealing a rare national coin and was caught.

A. Break away from prison

B. Go along with the sentence of the Judge

C. Try to overturn the statement

Chose A:

You Died. (Bad End)

Chose B:

You were set free. After a while, you felt that going with the sentence was wrong so you thought...

A. I better clear up this misunderstanding

B. I'll just let it be.

Chose A:

You were honored for finding a national treasure.(Good end)

Chose B:

Nothing happened. (Neutral end)

Chose C:

It succeeded and you gained money for finding a national treasure. (Best End)

If you chose B:

You told about the coin to your friend and he was honored for finding the national treasure.

A. Try to join in the glory

B. Steal all the glory

C. Do nothing

Chose A:

Your friend shares the glory with you. (Good End)

Chose B:

Your conversation with your friend was accidentally recorded in your phone and you were honored instead. (Unexpected End)

Chose C:

Your friend was killed. (Shocking End)

If you chose C:

You accidentally hit someone with the coin, who in fact knows what the coin and its value is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You were thanked by the nation. (Normal End)

~ How bored I really am

"Everything starting point has 3 main choices and every choice has 3 branches." -Sparkker (Bored)

Meaning:

Your choice can either be a positive, negative and a to-be decided choice. If you imagine Kagari's life theory, the two branches going to the side are the positive and negative, while the middle one is the to-be decided one. A to-be decided choice always align to a positive, negative or neutral. If it doesn't, then your story will never end. Although, it doesn't necessarily mean that the 3rd choice is always there. The 3rd choice is the neutral chain bringer that brings the possibility of going a new kind of positive.

To better Clarify: I'll give you a mini-game for you to have fun with. If you want to play it.

A.Keep the coin

B.Ignore the Coin

C.Toss the coin

If you Chose a A:

Chose A:

You Died. (Bad End)

Chose B:

You were set free. After a while, you felt that going with the sentence was wrong so you thought...

B. I'll just let it be.

Chose A:

Chose B:

Chose C:

If you chose B:

You told about the coin to your friend and he was honored for finding the national treasure.

B. Steal all the glory

C. Do nothing

Chose A:

Chose B:

Your conversation with your friend was accidentally recorded in your phone and you were honored instead. (Unexpected End)

Chose C:

If you chose C:

You accidentally hit someone with the coin, who in fact knows what the coin and its value is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ How bored I really am

This was really cool. A lot of game design, and creative writing, follows a similar process. Thanks for all the hard work! +1 Rep

Anime quotes:

"My name is Kyou Fujibayashi and I'm a senior in class E. My hobby is bullying weaklings. I would be happy if you would become my friend." -Kyou Fujibayashi

''I can see the ending.'' -Keima Katsuragi

Real life quotes:

alot... xD

I have several! ^_^

"The night is darkest just before the dawn. And I promise you, the dawn is coming." -Harvey Dent (The Dark Knight)

"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." -Kamina (Gurren Lagann)

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds." -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Of course, this list wouldn't be complete without the quote rant from my signature:

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!” -Cave Johnson (Portal 2)

Meaning:

A.Keep the coin

B.Ignore the Coin

C.Toss the coin

If you Chose a A:

Chose A:

You Died. (Bad End)

Chose B:

B. I'll just let it be.

Chose A:

Chose B:

Chose C:

If you chose B:

B. Steal all the glory

C. Do nothing

Chose A:

Chose B:

Chose C:

If you chose C:

~ How bored I really am

Good game. I got the best end :D

+1 for you as well.