[DEMO] Omni Link - Space Visual Novel / Action RPG

Roencia

004a9f68a9c347a6113a6e382c56cf2f_origina

I've been working on a visual novel where you can play a full space game adventure similar to "escape velocity nova" or star control 3, but enjoy all the best of a visual novel. Choices that matter, romance, hand drawn character and background art.

Demo: *Includes the entire first chapter

http://www.indiedb.com/games/omni-link-space-visual-novel-action-rpg/downloads/omni-link-demo-space-visual-novel-action-rpg

3f8c3d4914e6a077eb74cfe61349b167_origina

The non-spoiler version of the story is this:

You start the game as a man of little consequence. The first chapter: "A Hero Will Rise" defines exactly what you become.

There is something called "The Virus" which has awakened near the edge of the galaxy. People are painfully discovering that this is a real threat. The Virus consumes everything it touches.

You encounter an advanced warship, and an explosion binds you with an entity known as Ectype D-8. You quickly learn that there is more to this ship and A.I. that meets the eye. The artificial intelligence is so advanced, she is able to absorb energy from other ships and duplicate them. As well as quantum burst, administer atmospheric regeneration, quantum entanglement, and of course...Omni Link. You find out about these abilities as you play.

Your choices in the game affect what happens to the story and gameplay in meaningful ways. You'll discover this in the demo. What ships you acquire, who you save from the Virus threat, and what relationships of love, hate, and friendship you form. Who do you trust?

I need a small amount of funding to pay the art/music artists involved:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/994920323/omni-link-space-visual-novel-action-rpg

*This gives you chance to be a part of the game early on, and even design some content.

since the background is black, my character descriptions don't show up :(

8dca3b1ee5ddb0c03ab7342876b146af_origina

600ed9718d79d04e2e7ae04ee5a63d1b_origina

2181bd72f59b93be4bbfe79c88ab7ad1_origina

a883cc674e51c749fbb71fea21d606df_origina

2834c0176de80d95f58c47ae436c3f14_origina

7321ad06f3ba4918571a2e8f3e8216bc_origina

5c0bdbd50c4d3d7a3e3f4b5f871ed97e_origina

bfd0de10427c3a1fdeb35c142ef74d4d_origina
a63b70411bcdd08266dba60cea3cb192_origina

Real-time tactical combat

Choices that affect gameplay and story in minor and large ways

Huge two path end game split

Hand drawn character and background art

Epic emotional music

*Let me know what you think of the demo and story.

9 hours ago, Roencia said:

I wish I could show more character art, but I don't want to spoil anything. I did however add two more screens of the gameplay.

If I could ask anything about the art, it's that you make the sprites match the emotions, and the sprite expressions strong enough. I imagine it could be hard with more complex art, but a VN that has epic art and suitable facial expressions is such an experience.

Whoa!:mare:

The character designs and visual details looks pretty fantastic!:rimu: 

Wish you the best of luck in your project, looks very promising! Hope it makes it way through Steam and possibly, GOG.com! But they're kinda picky when it comes to game selection and stuff... 

10 hours ago, Chronopolis said:

If I could ask anything about the art, it's that you make the sprites match the emotions, and the sprite expressions strong enough. I imagine it could be hard with more complex art, but a VN that has epic art and suitable facial expressions is such an experience.

I agree with you, I'd like to have more expressive emotions. Almost exaggerated a little if needed.

I played the demo yesterday and liked it.  The art is fantastic.  I also find the story and characters intriguing.  That said, I definitely see room for improvement.  The script really needs a proof reader as there are a lot of spelling mistakes and use of entirely wrong words.  Arcadia is in desperate need of depth.  It makes sense that Dawn gets more character development, since she's experiencing entirely new things, but Arcadia just seems to be shoe horned in.  Some of the transitions seem abrupt.  For example (being kind of vague here for people who don't want the story of the demo spoiled) when they meet Arcadia in the flesh; I found it jarring when it exits out to the station menu after the 'a few minutes ago' segment.  I actually thought it was a bug at first when none of the station options advanced things.  I only exited the station to see if entering again would fix things.  As an aside, Dawn's actions in the bar would make for a bad ass CG scene.  Even just one picture.  My last complaint is probably just something that players have to be careful about, but I found it annoying when the AI controlled ships fire on neutral ships that are just passing through when I'm fighting someone.

I know I seem down on the game, but I have great hope for it and I backed it as soon as I finished the demo in the hope you'll be able to make it the best you can.

Thanks for your impressions. I've learned that I need to flush out the characters and story more. They have a huge backstory and I've realized I need to focus on them much earlier. I'm hiring an editor. This is the reason I reached out for help.

What you mentioned would make an excellent CG scene. Art is still being developed. So much is missing from the demo I can't wait to show everyone.