can't play other routes

Holybum

does anyone else feel like when you ar e playing vn and u do best girl route first and u play other routes it feels betraying first route girl 

i just skim through the text really fast if that's the case

it feel sad seeing best girl getting shunned

Not usually, but if the 'best girl' goes through some sad moment and such in the sidelines, I'll feel really bad about it.

I was so sad and wanted hug Saya in Miagete Goran so many times when the game makes you feel bad when you don't pick Saya's route, but that didn't cripple me from playing the other route's

Other than that, it's the first time I've felt bad for characters in VNs for playing other routes

No, not really.  I'm generally in it for the story, not to idolize muh waifus.  Even though I love Sachi from Grisaia and Saber from F/sn, I don't obsess over them to the point where I consider reading the other routes to be akin to cheating.  Why would I buy something and not consume all the content it has to offer?  That's especially silly in VNs where one route is the "true" route that provides the most info and the most satisfying ending; skipping it just straight up isn't worth it most of the time, and will leave you with a poorer view of the VN as a whole than if you read all the other routes.

That's why I always plan my routes as best as I can based on the common route, leaving the best for last. If there are 4 routes and I rank the girls 1 to 4, the order I play them in is 3,4,2,1. I do 3 first because if I do my least favourite one first, I might get tempted to start skipping long before I get to anything I enjoy. Leaving the best for last allows me to savour the game story more and understand everything surrounding the best heroine by the time I do her route.

I always have a girl I think of as the best one, but I still always finish every route. 

Well, unless I just get tired of the game and don't want to anymore. But it's never like a , "I wont betray my waifu!" kind of thing. 

I actually usually save the "best girl" for last, or for later most of the time. 

i´m more the type who reads like 95% of the story, regardless of routes, in 2days & then suddenly stops doing so because he cant bear it coming to an end... at least 150+ partly great ones have already met the aforementioned fate, though i keep on swearing to myself to resume them one day, probably...

53 minutes ago, XReaper said:

i´m more the type who reads like 95% of the story, regardless of routes, in 2days & then suddenly stops doing so because he cant bear it coming to an end... at least 150+ partly great ones have already met the aforementioned fate, though i keep on swearing to myself to resume them one day, probably...

I have this same problem, although not quite as severe. As far as VNs go, Duel Savior is one of these, where I got halfway through the final route (of seven) and stopped. More recently, there's Kara no Shoujo 2 where I've gotten all the ends but the true end. I keep telling myself I'll go back to it but I just never end up doing so...

I never consciously think "I don't want this to end," I always come up with some other reason for stopping. But I've heard a number of people are like this and the common psychological explanation given is a subconscious aversion to endings, with people like me afraid of being "finished" with something and never having a reason to go back. I do finish most VNs I start, however. Normal video games, on the other hand... I can't remember the last one I've beaten. I literally can't. I've started preferring games that don't have an end, maybe because of this. Even my beloved MGS5... Maybe some day...

Going back closer to the original topic, I've never stopped a VN because I just liked a heroine too much. I HAVE stopped reading a VN because I hated the other heroines, though. Like Canvas 2. 

31 minutes ago, Decay said:

I never consciously think "I don't want this to end," I always come up with some other reason for stopping. But I've heard a number of people are like this and the common psychological explanation given is a subconscious aversion to endings, with people like me afraid of being "finished" with something and never having a reason to go back. I do finish most VNs I start, however. Normal video games, on the other hand... I can't remember the last one I've beaten. I literally can't. I've started preferring games that don't have an end, maybe because of this. Even my beloved MGS5... Maybe some day...

Going back closer to the original topic, I've never stopped a VN because I just liked a heroine too much. I HAVE stopped reading a VN because I hated the other heroines, though. Like Canvas 2. 

The whole stalling on things you don't want to conclude thing is something i get really bad with Anime, and sometimes games. I oddly don't have it nearly as bad with visual novels... But yeah, I have SO many anime half watched and every once in a while i try to make an effort to finish them, even if i have to rewatch a few episodes to get my memory refreshed on where i'm at, but it seems for every 1 show i manage to finish, there are 2-3 that i will stall on. I tend to have a much easier time finishing shows that i force myself to watch weekly, or are generic (although painfully generic stuff i'll end up dropping)

VN wise, I tend to finish what i start for better or worse. Some times i'll finish a route and go "Wow, i really enjoyed that" and then have the rest of them sour my experience. I think the only VN i've actually dropped was like Ikikoi. There was only 1 heroine i remotely enjoyed, and the rest were, lets just say... not to my taste. (But yeah Canvas 2 wasn't the best, but i still found it overall... tolerable)

Well, not exactly that, but when I just started reading VNs, I felt a bit odd when reading different routes. You know, other types of media get us used to tropes like "They were meant for each other" and something like that, but it no longer works here. But it never brought me to the point when I wanted to drop a visual novel because of it.

Edited by Dreamysyu
stupid mistake

19 hours ago, Holybum said:

does anyone else feel like when you ar e playing vn and u do best girl route first and u play other routes it feels betraying first route girl 

i just skim through the text really fast if that's the case

it feel sad seeing best girl getting shunned

To prevent this, I usually read my best girl's route last. :lol:

Well, obvious VN for this thread is Yume Miru Kursui, when you're a totall asshole nad choose other routes, or only read that one route where you aren't.
But this is rather extreme example.

I had a situation like in first post, few times, but never that severe to stop reading/skip through routes. When I read a route and I like it, it's engaging, I had a hard time to get to next route (Majikoi is best example of this), because of those events I just lived are going to be erased. So it's always forcing myself to start another route. And then I usually get acustomed to this new route pretty fast, so no problem.
And also - there is no 'cheating' for me, this is only a VN. The protagonist is the one, who gets the girls, not me.
It helps that I usually left best girl or second best girl for the last.

Similar to what a couple others have said, the only thing that bothers me is a lingering feeling that terrible events are coming the way of girl B, if I pick girl A's route. And that feeling of guilt is worst when girl B just completely disappears once you land on girl A's route. This is why I like True routes so much - they typically resolve everybody's story in a satisfactory way. Even if there isn't a happy ending all around, that's cool, as long as everybody gets a clear resolution... one way or another.

So there are two necessary conditions that, together, annoy me: the VN doesn't have any kind of True route, and the individual character routes basically abandon other characters, i.e. they just disappear off-screen.

The latter is common, but not a given - some VNs are quite happy to keep all the characters around and settle everything up pretty reasonably, even on individual routes. When that happens, it's all good even if there's no true route.

And regardless of that kind of annoyance, I'm very unlikely to put down a VN simply because of the above reasons. Like Decay, I would put down such a VN if I have no interest in the remaining characters, though.

Yep, this is literally the reason I haven't touched Katawa Shoujo in months. I read Hanako route and it was just good, then I read Rin route and it made me depressed for 3 days... that feel when Rin isn't real ;_; I've tried reading Lilly route since then but stopped halfway through, I just can't care for the other heroines anymore.

I usually try following a recommended route order, from worst girl to best girl to avoid this, but it didn't work out for me with Grisaia.. Read Makina and Michiru routes first, and they ended up being the best.. so I kinda skimmed through the other ones. Amane route had that one interesting part but I basically skipped everything else.

Also very much suffer from the other problem discussed here where I stall on anime/VNs when getting close to the end. This problem seems to be much more prevalent with anime for me as well, I have so many that have 2-3 episodes left but I can't finish them. At this point I've forgotten everything about the story too and I'd have to start from the beginning if I want to finish it, so I just keep procrastinating on it.