eroge sales- 2016/03

erogamesales

tumblr_nwjbdps5UE1u09uvmo1_1280.jpg

TOP 10:

1- Maitetsu (~13593 copies) (Increase of 10% from previous game)

2- Dungeon of Regalias ~Haitoku no Miyako Ishgalia~ (~11799 copies) (Increase of 56% from previous game)

3- Otome ga Irodoru Koi no Essence (~7636 copies) (Drop of 54% from previous game)

4- Akeiro Kaikitan (~7314 copies) (Increase of 23% from previous game)

5- Rep Kiss (~7291 copies) (Increase of 44% from previous game)

6- Meimon Joshikou Ryokou ~Ore Dake Otoko Nandesuga!?~ (~4899 copies) (Increase of 48% from previous game)

7- Toki wo Tsumugu Yakusoku (~4577 copies) (Drop of 50% from previous game)

8- Dies irae ~Interview with Kaziklu Bey~ (~4439 copies) (Drop of 40% from previous game)

9- Omokage ~Ecchi na Happening!? Nandemo Dontokoi!~ (~3565 copies) (Drop of 66% from previous game)

10- Maki-chan to Now. Kanketsuhen (~2898 copies) (Increase of 33~150% from previous game)

Source: http://blog.livedoor.jp/twode_perf/archives/59118916.html

- The latter to arrive have skewed results, as they may sell more given enough time.

- It's a-okay, but I'm not very interested in how well titles that we may never see here are doing; it's more interesting as a picture of the Japanese market.

- Japanese publishers should acknowledge the Western market (such as Steam) as a gift from Heaven, since it allows them to basically pump their sales.

47 minutes ago, Okarin said:

- Japanese publishers should acknowledge the Western market (such as Steam) as a gift from Heaven, since it allows them to basically pump their sales.

Not without a price and a lot of additional work, tho. In most cases, it's not really a viable choice for small studios with limited budget and a tight schedule; Steam's current policy blocks eroge in general from appearing on their market, no matter how good they are. Patching those games to fit the requirements takes a lot of time and effort, while a large majority wants them uncensored and in original state.

You can't really please everyone.

I expect this will continue to the point of no return, where the market will finally collapse under it's own weight, burst - where a lot of studios will fall and crumble, following by another market rebirth, possibly spawning an entirely new wave of trends (that will go along the new tech advancements etc.). It's a natural cycle for any industry and this one is already undergoing a massive change; it will either grasp new possibilities and endure or fall and alter to fit the new times.

Yes, I was broadly pointing out to major titles that get easily translated; take Root Double, for example. The hype.

I wish that the industry was less moe-driven from now on, keeping it to a minimum, but I guess moe has a powerful appeal.

21 hours ago, Okarin said:

Yes, I was broadly pointing out to major titles that get easily translated; take Root Double, for example. The hype.

I wish that the industry was less moe-driven from now on, keeping it to a minimum, but I guess moe has a powerful appeal.

The 'moe' aspect exists mainly because of market oversaturation. When you're forced to chose between a supposedly 'great' unique project, which might not sell well and a mediocre work, that will definitely meet the sales' expectations, it's obvious you'll go for the latter from a business standpoint; the stakes are simply way too high to risk cutting down the tree you're sitting on. To put it simply, there's no time, nor place for experiments.

We'd propably see a lot more studios striving working on better and more interesting games, if not for the current market situation.

6 hours ago, Veshurik said:

Why do you think so?

You must have been living under a rock for at least the past couple of years, unless you're not really following the japanese market. It doesn't take a genius to understand in what kind of dire situation japanese developers are right now; it's a constant struggle to make the ends meet and earn enough to continue doing the things you'd love to do, for a large majority of studios. It's a world, when one mistake in production, one >single< flopped game can literally put you out of business... and by flop I don't mean 'crap'. A lot of great and promising studios, which made quality games are already biting the dust, because they weren't able to find a big enough niche in a niche.

TL&DR

Niche market with deep connotations to otaku culture. Too many studios, too many games, not enough consumers.