Root Double -Before Crime * After Days- Review Discussion

Decay

Hi. Just in time for the game's release.

rootdouble-810x506.jpg

http://reviews.fuwanovel.net/2016/04/27/root-double-before-crime-after-days-xtend-edition/

I couldn't find a decent promo image in English. I have no idea what that's saying but hey, whatever. I give this game 3/5 stars. :makina: 

While I think it's a bit overhyped and overrated, it still has some good stuff going for it and some of you people who are huge zero escape and infinity fans might like it anyways.

Incoming salt  :salt::salt::salt:

They’ve also translated the honorifics, which normally I’m okay with, but they took a bad approach to it in this case. Even classmates will refer to each other with Mr. and Ms.

Wut.  Wouldn't it have just made more sense to leave them out instead of translating them in such a way that the dialogue itself sounds unnatural?  Almost nobody I know refers to their own friends as "Mr." and "Ms." in casual conversations unless it's some sort of joke.  I really don't understand why they thought that was a good idea.  Does this happen quite often, in various circumstances, or does it just come up a few times?

I'm a little disappointed to hear it went all ham-fisted with the morality and themes you mentioned.  I became more interested in it than I was before when I read what themes were included in the story, only to have my interest die back down to where it was previously when you said they kinda botched the implementation of said issues.  Were they at least handled well enough in the beginning?

7 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

Incoming salt  :salt::salt::salt:

Wut.  Wouldn't it have just made more sense to leave them out instead of translating them in such a way that the dialogue itself sounds unnatural?  Almost nobody I know refers to their own friends as "Mr." and "Ms." in casual conversations unless it's some sort of joke.  I really don't understand why they thought that was a good idea.  Does this happen quite often, in various circumstances, or does it just come up a few times?

I'm a little disappointed to hear it went all ham-fisted with the morality and themes you mentioned.  I became more interested in it than I was before when I read what themes were included in the story, only to have my interest die back down to where it was previously when you said they kinda botched the implementation of said issues.  Were they at least handled well enough in the beginning?

The honorifics thing doesn't come up too often. Most characters are on a first-name basis and it all sounds normal. It's usually just random background characters at the school and stuff like that. Oh, the teacher refers to her students as Mr. and Ms. as well, which feels weird. Still doesn't happen all that often.

About your second question, well, sometimes? A lot of the stuff kind of gets glossed over until they directly address it. Sometimes this actually works out, like some of the stuff going on in Rokumei City feels a bit creepy and unnerving, at least to me. But often times you'll see the characters go "I SEE NO PROBLEMS HERE!" until suddenly it's "OH WOW ACTUALLY IT IS BAD AND NOT GOOD!" with all of the nuance of an 8th grade sociology essay.

23 minutes ago, Decay said:

Oh, the teacher refers to her students as Mr. and Ms. as well, which feels weird. Still doesn't happen all that often.

It's not as weird as you'd think depending on circumstance. It happened when I was at school, but more often when 'you were in trouble'.

Classmates don't usually go around referring to each other with titles though. Well ... not titles you can repeat in polite company in any case.

2 minutes ago, Decay said:

The honorifics thing doesn't come up too often. Most characters are on a first-name basis and it all sounds normal. It's usually just random background characters at the school and stuff like that. Oh, the teacher refers to her students as Mr. and Ms. as well, which feels weird. Still doesn't happen all that often.

About your second question, well, sometimes? A lot of the stuff kind of gets glossed over until they directly address it. Sometimes this actually works out, like some of the stuff going on in Rokumei City feels a bit creepy and unnerving, at least to me. But often times you'll see the characters go "I SEE NO PROBLEMS HERE!" until suddenly it's "OH WOW ACTUALLY IT IS BAD AND NOT GOOD!" with all of the nuance of an 8th grade sociology essay.

That's a lot better, but that's still really weird.  I could see a teacher addressing their students by their last names only (seen that happen before myself, although I don't think it was that common), but it'd take a very specific type of person to address their students with Mr/Ms.  I guess "odd" or "cutesy" would be what I'm thinking of.  Is it Mr./Ms. [first name] or Mr./Ms. [last name], by the way?  The latter would be a lot less strange.

Well, that's pretty disappointing  :amane:  I don't get why they're trying to take on complicated issues like terrorism and segregation if they just end up saying, "That's bad, m'kay".  Everyone knows terrorism and segregation are bad, it's obvious.  The security, convenience, and privacy problem is a lot more complicated with no objectively right answer, so I'm a little miffed that they included it, honestly, if they handled it like you say they did.  Admittedly, the VN was released before the Snowden revelations, but still, that's not much of an excuse to gloss over something so complicated.  Did they handle any of those themes particularly well?

15 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

And I'm still hyped for it... :rolleyes:

Okay...reviews are one person's thoughts and opinions on something, ya know.  You might have no problems with it, while Decay obviously did.  There's no reason to suddenly reverse gears and start advising people not to buy it, just don't let hype alone be the reason you buy something, because it will usually leave you disappointed.  I can count on one hand the number of times I went into something hyped and came out saying, "I wasn't disappointed in the slightest!".

For the record: the comment system on FuwaReviews is terrible.  I have 3 accounts on record with Fuwanovel, and NONE of them worked to log in.

I haven't played Root Double, but this comment caught my notice:

Together with two other rescue workers, they set out to collect any remaining survivors and to find an escape route before the radiation poisoning kills them. 

I hate to break it, but if you're at the point where death from acute radiation poisoning is a concern, you're beyond fucked.  Radiation poisoning is like a sunburn in that it's slow onset.  The highest levels will kill you within 48hrs.  5x less than that will STILL kill you, but it'll take a month or so.  Less than that will ALSO kill you, but in the form of cancer. (Source)

I didn't dig into the minutiae of their situation because explaining EVERYTHING could take ages, but in the game world they developed a drug called AD ("Alone Despair," thanks Japan) to counteract radiation poisoning. They actually have limited supplies of the drug and much of the first scenario is spent with them trying to locate and secure more of it.

But there's definitely some suspension of your disbelief required in some aspects.

14 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

For the record: the comment system on FuwaReviews is terrible.  I have 3 accounts on record with Fuwanovel, and NONE of them worked to log in.

Same system as all wordpress based sites. We've had some server issues today though. I'll check in with nayleen about it

2 hours ago, Decay said:

AD ("Alone Despair," thanks Japan)

For the record, it's Alone Desire. ^_^

there weren’t any real stand-out performances among the cast.

Not even Shimizu Ai? To me though, even the simple fact that both male protagonists are 100% voiced is a huge plus in the voice department, compared to most VNs.

1 minute ago, Decay said:

Right, right. Root Double is full of some of the most absurd english terminology imaginable. Got some mixed up.

Oh, I didn't notice that the person who I quoted was you, the reviewer. Since you've already finished the VN, let me just share with you my interpretation:

Spoiler

Remember the actual function of Alone Desire? It's the "desire" to be "alone". I won't say any more than that, because I know some people can't help but click on spoilers.

Admittedly, the main reason behind calling it "alone desire" is to match Beyond Communication and fit the pointless "B.C. A. D." symbolism. "Alone Drug" would've been simpler but not as cool, right?

To me, the only really silly part of Root Double is the Biblical references. They basically sound deep but mean nothing. It's just that Nakazawa wanted to go with a "B.C. / A.D." motif. Well, at least it's not as bad as SubaHibi's Alice in Wonderland references.

edit: Shimuzu Ai isn't in RD according to VNDB.

Spoiler

http://beautyplanets.web.fc2.com/VADB/game/g_14975.html

I'm referring to a certain spoiler character, who I thought performed quite well during several climactic scenes where she even adopt different personal pronouns and styles of speech... I won't say any more because I know some people can't help but click spoilers.

2 minutes ago, MayoeruHitori said:

Oh, I didn't notice that the person who I quoted was you, the reviewer. Since you've already finished the VN, let me just share with you my interpretation:

Hide contents

Remember the actual function of Alone Desire? It's the "desire" to be "alone". I won't say any more than that, because I know some people can't help but click on spoilers.

Admittedly, the main reason behind calling it "alone desire" is to match Beyond Communication and fit the pointless "B.C. A. D." symbolism. "Alone Drug" would've been simpler but not as cool, right?

To me, the only really silly part of Root Double is the Biblical references. They basically sound deep but mean nothing. It's just that Nakazawa wanted to go with a "B.C. / A.D." motif. Well, at least it's not as bad as SubaHibi's Alice in Wonderland references.

Hide contents

http://beautyplanets.web.fc2.com/VADB/game/g_14975.html

I'm referring to a certain spoiler character, who I thought performed quite well during several climactic scenes where she even adopt different personal pronouns and styles of speech... I won't say any more because I know some people can't help but click spoilers.

For the first spoiler, yeah, they even said as much in the game. It "makes sense," but it's still a hilariously stupid term. So is Beyond Communication, for that matter. And literally every other bit of fictional english terminology. I don't hate it, though, I find it comical how bad Japan is at naming things in English, and their continued insistence at doing so anyways.

As for the second spoiler: Oh. Hmm. Eh. I wasn't particularly impressed with that, but that could have easily been affected by the translation.

I thought the review was pretty spot-on.

The game was written by a completely new writer afaik which explains the kinda underwhelming / amateurish prose and writing (I wonder how it would've been different if Takumi Nakazawa, the guy responsible for the ideas and plotting, wrote it himself). I think he made a better team with the E17 guy.

Still a very fine and thoroughly entertaining (if not exactly earth-shattering) game though.

2 minutes ago, Conjueror said:

I thought the review was pretty spot-on.

The game was written by a completely new writer afaik which explains the kinda underwhelming / amateurish prose and writing (I wonder how it would've been different if Takumi Nakazawa, the guy responsible for the ideas and plotting, wrote it himself). I think he made a better team with the E17 guy.

Still a very fine and thoroughly entertaining (if not exactly earth-shattering) game though.

It was actually written by a trio of writers, although I don't know who was responsible for what. Have you played Secret Game 2nd Stage? The same group went on to do that (with Nakazawa directing again), so I wonder if there was any improvement.

2 hours ago, Decay said:

It was actually written by a trio of writers, although I don't know who was responsible for what. Have you played Secret Game 2nd Stage? The same group went on to do that (with Nakazawa directing again), so I wonder if there was any improvement.

I haven't, but it has relatively good ratings and is 18+, so I definitely will sooner or later. The other two writers are credited as "subs" on egs, which usually means they wrote ero scenes or tweaked the text, but I've got no idea what they were doing in the context of Root Double. I could pretty much tell right off the bat when a writer switched in Grisaia, but the text in RD is consistent from start to finish.

10 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

Okay...reviews are one person's thoughts and opinions on something, ya know.  You might have no problems with it, while Decay obviously did.  There's no reason to suddenly reverse gears and start advising people not to buy it, just don't let hype alone be the reason you buy something, because it will usually leave you disappointed.  I can count on one hand the number of times I went into something hyped and came out saying, "I wasn't disappointed in the slightest!".

Well, I already backed it months ago, so the review had no chance to influence my decision to buy it anyway. Root Double is also a title that most likely fits my taste so I'm probably more tolerant to flaws it might have.

Besides that, the title has more than enough good ratings that it can be considered a good title. But I always appreciate a more critical review because they often emphasize the true flaws of a VN, and usually I find it easier to tolerate those if I'm prepared for them. Too glowing reviews can raise unrealistic high expectations which inevitably leads to disappointment. Ironically, a critical review can therefore result in a more pleasant experience than an all roses review.