What makes a good Villain?

Probably someone who is in quest of pursuing something to satisfy his need (protecting something, for a greater good of some factions he belong to, or gaining greater power for example), encounters complicated situation, and gets corrupted in the process. Some villains I know can also become a target of hatred just because he wants to, or he just want to destroy everything because of potential evil in every living beings. Madness is also a good aspect for a villain as well as corruption and ambition. But I think some good villains is masterminds hidden from the rest of the story until the main antagonist is defeated, therefore becoming ultimate villain of the story.

Imo, extreme desire and ambition are things that can drive someone to become a villain, but they also need evil philosophy to complete them.

I prefer one that isn't actually a villain, but an antagonist.  Where you question who actually is "right", if there is a right.

I don't like Madness since it makes them seem like idiots, and much prefer the genius type (e.g. Maou in Gsenjou).

I recently watched Avengers 2 and it was nice to see a likeable villian (Ultron), he seemed caring for his 2 human minions (at least at the start he was). A villain that is somewhat likeable, and not an evil bastard is refreshing.