Why are visual novels becoming popular in the West?

DarkZedge

@Fred the Barber I didn't mean to imply that VN translations were by any means perfect, and you do make good points. I just feel like, as innaccurate as some VN translations can be, any (decent, non Machine Translated) VN translation is better than injecting memes into the script for the sake of western mainstream appeal.

06613fcc7b.jpg

But yeah, i didn't mean to derail the thread with that poorly worded comment.

(I should probably point out about that image, i find the top to be overly liberal, where the bottom is too rigid. I don't mind taking liberties with a translation if it reads better in english, just that there are limits to where you should go, imo)

Edited by FontSize72LOL
clarification

14 minutes ago, FontSize72LOL said:

(I should probably point out about that image, i find the top to be overly liberal, where the bottom is too rigid. I don't mind taking liberties with a translation if it reads better in english, just that there are limits to where you should go, imo)

I agree with your sentiment. There is a whole unresolvable debate that will rage for all eternity on that one though, and it mostly comes down to taste. This debate appears every couple of days in some form or other here. Probably the most interesting part of this debate to me is that my tastes changed the more I understood Japanese language and culture and by the time I understood Japanese well myself, what I thought was an accurate representation in an English translation was totally different.

6 hours ago, FontSize72LOL said:

I'm definitely not against VNs being popular, It would be pretty good if VNs got more credit than they do. When i used Localization, I was refering to non-VN Japanese games. VNs (generally) get much better treatment translation wise, and thankfully so considering what the medium is. I was just merely pointing out that as there are alot of great things about VNs, VNs also have a "Darker" side to them. As the medium gets more popularized, you'll be exposing more and more people to things that might not sit well with the "mainstream", and those opinions might eventually have ramifications towards the medium as a whole. I mean, pressure from the west actually took an eroge off the market in Japan before: RapeLay . I'm not sure of your opinion on Nukige, but they are just as much apart of VN culture as Light-hearted Moeges, and Plot based VNs. There are argubably "worse" Nukige available on the market today. There are people out there that sincerely believe that people cannot distinguish between fiction and reality and will try to censor or outright ban anything they're not comfortable with.

I more or less agree with you about the exposure issue.  It makes me nervous every time someone advocates localizing something like Venus Blood or Asagi, simply because, in America, public mores respond more strongly to sexual issues than they do to violence ones.  The more extreme sexual fantasies involved with 'dark' nukige are such that even the most liberal judge would call them 'obscene'... and loli material in general is insanely dangerous to localize in the west (which is why I was aghast when they decided to localize Maitetsu).

6 minutes ago, Clephas said:

I was aghast when they decided to localize Maitetsu

I'm still baffled by this myself... Last time I brought it up people thought it was just because I was anti loli but that's not the reason... It's that its legality in the west is so questionable that I wonder why any company would take such a risk to bring the wrong sort of exposure to their label and this medium. Pushing the envelope is not a good way for something marginalised to begin with.

4 minutes ago, ittaku said:

I'm still baffled by this myself... Last time I brought it up people thought it was just because I was anti loli but that's not the reason... It's that its legality in the west is so questionable that I wonder why any company would take such a risk to bring the wrong sort of exposure to their label and this medium. Pushing the envelope is not a good way for something marginalised to begin with.

Yes... Anything by Lose is a disaster in waiting for the Western VN community.  Lose routinely steps over boundaries even from a Japanese perspective, so I wanted to strangle the idiot who came up with the idea of localizing that disaster-in-waiting.

1 hour ago, Clephas said:

Yes... Anything by Lose is a disaster in waiting for the Western VN community.  Lose routinely steps over boundaries even from a Japanese perspective, so I wanted to strangle the idiot who came up with the idea of localizing that disaster-in-waiting.

https://twitter.com/dobacco

Just find out his address and you'll be on your way. :miyako: