Frontwing announces their next project: Purine Party - A match-three/VN hybrid.

Decay

3 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

I was talking about how bad this looks and so it motivates me to keep studying japanese harder than ever for reading untranslated vns :P 

QiUxw2i.png

@Kawasumi All your meme are belong to me.

3 hours ago, Rooke said:

Observe the ranking of the US, Italy, UK, Spain, Germany, France, and Australia.

Now observe the ranking of Japan, and Korea. I keep telling people that the idea of the West 'not liking to read' was an argument with no basis in fact, and I'll keep pumping out figures to support that statement.

Huh, that's actually quite interesting.  I hadn't really questioned the whole "Westerners hate reading" idea that gets repeated so many times, so it's a little refreshing to know that that is essentially BS.

6 hours ago, Rooke said:

If they did, they're morons. Let me present people with a little diagram based on a survey of more than 30,000 respondents:

Hours-Spent-Reading-Around-the-World.jpg

Observe the ranking of the US, Italy, UK, Spain, Germany, France, and Australia.

Now observe the ranking of Japan, and Korea. I keep telling people that the idea of the West 'not liking to read' was an argument with no basis in fact, and I'll keep pumping out figures to support that statement.

I wonder if that also actually reflects your average steam user as well though. The "westerners don't read" thing kinda implies westerners geeks / gamers /whatever you call them, not the whole population. In a sense, I kinda feel that your average geek reads (as in reading books) much less than your average otaku (if only because light novels are a big thing in japan). For some reason, people in the west associate more reading with intellectual exercice, while in japan it is more viewed as an entertainement medium? I don't know, might be totally wrong about that.

40 minutes ago, Diamon said:

For some reason, people in the west associate more reading with intellectual exercice, while in japan it is more viewed as an entertainement medium? I don't know, might be totally wrong about that.

If they did, literature wouldn't sell as poorly as it does. Or romance/smut novels wouldn't be the largest selling genre (by miles and miles, over fantasy/sci-fi ... I think.)

Also, I grew up in the 90s when geeks were DnDing all over the place, making their own campaigns and constructing user defined stories. Comic books and the like. Living in the library, devouring fantasy. Dunno how it is in modern times. 

I think this is a really big issue and simplifying it down to a single point is a good way to completely overlook the problems. Many people view gaming as a social exercise where they play together in groups, and in fact it's become one of the most popular social activities for friends - MMOs or together IRL. Not to mention twitch and streaming in real time with people watching and commentating on social media. Reading would dampen this experience. Gaming has advanced well past the days where there used to be 1 guy in a darkened room. Some people also use it to relieve stress with simulated violence, reading would also hamper this experience. Lastly many people don't really feel comfortable reading at a computer or on a console (I like to lie down and read, for instance - it's nicer on my back.)

To say people don't like to read because they don't like to read 'while gaming' involves a pretty big leap of faith. 

Anyway, imo it's not that the West doesn't like to read it's because VNs don't appeal to those who like to read (while those who want games will complain about the lack of gameplay.)

8 hours ago, Rooke said:

If they did, they're morons. Let me present people with a little diagram based on a survey of more than 30,000 respondents:

Define "read".  Then consider if these figures can be accurately extrapolated to the Steam userbase.  Then consider if Steam users consume fiction in games the same way they might consume it in other contexts.

I think Frontwing would be right in assuming that their target audience is more likely to appreciate a puzzle game with fanservice shots as a reward than a moe nukige.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Rooke said:

On their site this has a June 2016 release. It's June, I'm fairly certain it's 2016 (unless I've hibernated for a year without realising it again,) so release should be imminent :3

Root double still has "March 2016" listed for their physical release. Shit happens. 

• 2 weeks later...

purino party to come out in 5days. steam page is up. my life is going to be wasted (again). heil!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/483960/
ss_a26fbbccb41bf7c0583838775e0691f16c8be

edit. believes them heroines arent visibly fuckable in said version (who would have thought, eh?), but a patch should help you get into their panties.

See the video, and well the puzzle was resemble Huniepop except apparently we didn't had mana sentiment, so we couldn't cast some magic give a date gift to the girl when dating to made the date easier. For the seiyuu 6 out of 8 heroines were had same seiyuu (Ichigo Momoi, Himari, and Misonoo Mei was had double role here). Although it should be not a problem here if we look at Huniepop, because each heroine in Huniepop barely interact with each other. Other than the gamelay, we apparently had usual VN system ie choice and we'll unlock CG if we successfully manage to gather 5 love point. I bet it'll be raised each time a date was successful, and the CG was probably HCG from Innocent Girl and Pure Girl. I think that's all I could say for this game.

You actually get it for under $10 as it starts on sale 15% off. The game play is challenging but not as hard as some think. The key is to remember you have a full 10 seconds before dropping the gem you picked up. You can swirl around the board up and down and left and right and slide tiles into matches during that time. Optimum strategy would be build a heart match for the one move double points and use that move to build a lot of matches. Points rack up, fap material will soon be achieved.

anyone around who´s started playing it, that can tell abit about the state of its language being used, like does flows well, or sound natural? havent touched it myself yet, but am pretty curious coming to their in-house squad´s capabilities. much appreciated.

Just now, XReaper said:

anyone around who´s started playing it, that can tell abit about the state of its language being used, like does flows well, or sound natural? havent touched it myself yet, but am pretty curious coming to their in-house squad´s capabilities. much appreciated.

I have spotted a couple of mistakes, (they forgot to put spaces between a couple of words in a sentence,) but overall it's not bad. It feels natural. I haven't really noticed any blunders anywhere, except for those 2 sentences lacking a few spaces.

The writing isn't exactly rocket science, but editing / translation wise, it looks pretty acceptable.

I played it for a couple hours. At first I thought it was soul-crushingly difficult and random, but then it turned out there was an under-explained mechanic which is completely different from HuniePop, and thus my brain never thought to try it: once you pick up a gem, you can drag it all around the board, not just along a column or row, for some 10 seconds. If you don't do this, it's essentially impossible beyond a certain point (basically once the clock appears; I actually survived up until that point, without even lowering difficulty).

The gameplay that results from that big mechanic change is substantially different and still complex - unlike in HuniePop, where I built my strategy around a couple of gifts that gave +1 move and +sentiment for matches of 4+ gems, now I have to approach the board completely differently. I'm trying to clear a lot of it at once, rather than build single long strings.

I don't think it's more complex than HuniePop, but it is different. I liked all the complex currencies and whatnot that HuniePop was so fascinated with (like in the puzzle game, the heart meter and sentiment, and in the dating sim, the Munny and Hunny). Purino Party is definitely weaker in terms of having an interesting balance of concepts. But the core puzzle game is pretty playable.

The English text is fine - I didn't stumble across anything jarringly unnatural. Nothing about the text is going to be noteworthy anyway, so the translation is sufficient to the task.

It seems a bit weak on the in-between scenes to really call it a VN hybrid. I'd say it's a gem-matching game that shows you snippets of a nukige when you win, at best? Because the plot of each route appears to be on about that level.

And, yes, there are H CGs, but no H scenes. So, if reading "Ahh... mmm... slurrrrp" and hearing someone moaning are beneficial for your enjoyment of H content, be aware that you won't find them here.

HuniePop is better in many ways - gameplay is more interesting, characters are more varied. The art is a little less familiar to the otaku eye, in HuniePop vs. Purino Party, and the voice acting is in English instead of Japanese. So, maybe if you're a really huge weeb, Purino Party might win out on those grounds? Barring some kind of bias like that, definitely play HuniePop rather than this game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2016 at 9:49 PM, Fred the Barber said:

The English text is fine - I didn't stumble across anything jarringly unnatural. Nothing about the text is going to be noteworthy anyway, so the translation is sufficient to the task.

After spending some more time with it, I'll amend this statement somewhat: it's still full of Japanese cliche. But for the typical English plebeian otaku, it'll be fine. And nobody should go into this game expecting good writing anyway.

I've played through half of the "routes" at this point.In summary: Purino Party is a passable-but-not-good puzzle game that rewards you with extremely cheesy SoL scenes and lewd CGs of cute anime girls.

so this is basically japan's huniepop from what I can tell, more of a vn with gameplay where as huniepop was a dating sim, also I finished just one "route" and I have to say it's way fucking harder in my opinion