Frontwing announces their next project: Purine Party - A match-three/VN hybrid.

Decay

...Baa---

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAA~~~

I CANNOT STOP LAUGHING WHAT IS THIS LIKE WHY WOULD YOU MAKE THIS??

WHY??  WHY ARE YOU COPYING AMERICA JAPAN?  WHY IS THIS A GOOD IDEA?

I don't know if the Huniepop devs are actually from America or not.

I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time keeping a straight face.  Not to say anything on Huniepop (I haven't played it) but just...why do you think it's a good idea?  On another hand Huniepop has VERY different strengths from the usual Japan-based VNs so I'm genuinely horrified/worried/hopeful about whether or not Frontwing spectacularly succeeds or fails about finding strengths of their own in this style.  Then again we didn't take Huniepop seriously with a grain of salt until we actually played it ourselves.

4 hours ago, Rooke said:

I shouldn't be interested in this ... but I am :(

Ah well, we all have our guilty pleasures :P 

Ah I understand you, even though it seems like a complete copy of Hunie Pop but shittier I'm still interested and probably will end up checking it out.

6 minutes ago, solidbatman said:

because frontwing is shit

That's just your opinion.

Just now, Satsuki said:

So...this puzzle game is GOTY and they should make more of it, I guess?

You don't know if it isn't since it's not out. It could be the greatest game ever made but people would still bitch at them because it's not what they wanted.

4 hours ago, Ariurotl said:

> Steam release

> Girls from a nukige series

Yeah, that makes a ton of sense. :makina: Also, are we really at the point where Japanese VN (well, not really VN, but you know what I mean) devs start copying Western OELVN (well, not really OELVN, but you know what I mean) devs? The end is nigh!

lolz. How is this possibleO_O

it feels like FW went like :

We heard westerners don't like reading, and prefer gameplay! Steam stats are telling us the best seller VN ever created in there is a bejewel-like dating sim (because only steam matters). Well, time to make a new glorious nippon version!

22 minutes ago, Diamon said:

We heard westerners don't like reading, and prefer gameplay! Steam stats are telling us the best seller VN ever created in there is a bejewel-like dating sim (because only steam matters). Well, time to make a new glorious nippon version!

None of that is actually wrong, especially when you're trying to expand your business and reach the largest audience possible.

6 minutes ago, RikiSanic said:

None of that is actually wrong, especially when you're trying to expand your business and reach the largest audience possible.

It's not a bad idea in itself, I just doubt that FW tried to make a deeper analysis as for the why such a game was popular imo. HuniePop picked up on steam because the dialog was hilarious and very westernized, which created a very funny contrast with the usual tropes of the dating sim genre. Of course, the gameplay and the H content played a part as well, but I don't think those were the most important. And I kinda doubt FW will be able to replicate a similar feeling.  It will still probably have dank memes of another type though.

So Frontwing is now working on the English market equivalent of nukige?  Using assets from their nukige?  Brilliant.

I see they've labeled it "Adults Only".  Are they going to take the original CG and apply extra-thick mosaics?  Or maybe just use the CG from the non-explicit scenes / underwear-on variations of the explicit images?

I'm wondering whether I should add this to my censored eroge list.  There's a point at which the censorship is so extreme it's not even the same game anymore.  It's just a Japanese-Western chimera... thing.

3 minutes ago, Diamon said:

It's not a bad idea in itself, I just doubt that FW tried to make a deeper analysis as for the why such a game was popular imo. HuniePop picked up on steam because the dialog was hilarious and very westernized, which created a very funny contrast with the usual tropes of the dating sim genre. Of course, the gameplay and the H content played a part as well, but I don't think those were the most important. And I kinda doubt FW will be able to replicate a similar feeling.  It will still probably have dank memes of another type though.

That's possible. But mainstream VN fans on Steam also love fluff and fan service. There's no reason why Nekopara and the Sakura series in particular had to be so popular--other than that they're easy to consume and feature cute anime girls (and if you know how, naked anime girls).

If this can do the same and add in an accessible gameplay element, it could very well be a good investment for Frontwing.

2 hours ago, Diamon said:

We heard westerners don't like reading, and prefer gameplay! 

If they did, they're morons. Let me present people with a little diagram based on a survey of more than 30,000 respondents:

Hours-Spent-Reading-Around-the-World.jpg

Observe the ranking of the US, Italy, UK, Spain, Germany, France, and Australia.

Now observe the ranking of Japan, and Korea. I keep telling people that the idea of the West 'not liking to read' was an argument with no basis in fact, and I'll keep pumping out figures to support that statement.

14 minutes ago, Rooke said:

If they did, they're morons. Let me present people with a little diagram based on a survey of more than 30,000 respondents:

Hours-Spent-Reading-Around-the-World.jpg

Observe the ranking of the US, Italy, UK, Spain, Germany, France, and Australia.

Now observe the ranking of Japan, and Korea. I keep telling people that the idea of the West 'not liking to read' was an argument with no basis in fact, and I'll keep pumping out figures to support that statement.

More important is how people are reading? I read more than 5 hours a week, but not books or anything like that. 

2 minutes ago, solidbatman said:

More important is how people are reading? I read more than 5 hours a week, but not books or anything like that. 

I assume books because it was a part of a study on (I think) how people spent leisure time, so globally people spent 16-17 hours a week watching tele, 9 on computers/internet, 8 listening to radio, and 6-7 reading. Reading web pages would come under the 'internet' heading, and besides, all the numbers listed above would be too low ... heh.

I should point out that if you add those together, this is 40 hours a week they're not spending at work/school that they're camped out at home doing nothing. I suspect 'hours playing sport/physical activity' must have ranked so low it was within the margin of error ahahaha ...