Majo Koi Nikki Translation Project

Hasa

Yep, TLC is actually at 100% and is all incorporated. There's still some script work I need to do: some sections, totaling about 20% of the game, still need a fairly quick second-pass edit. We've also had a hard time with image editors bailing on us, so that still needs to be done. And then yes, there's still engine work pending, and then QC. So... yeah. Progress is good, but still things to do.

• 4 weeks later...
On 27.02.2018 at 4:49 AM, Fred the Barber said:

Yep, TLC is actually at 100% and is all incorporated. There's still some script work I need to do: some sections, totaling about 20% of the game, still need a fairly quick second-pass edit. We've also had a hard time with image editors bailing on us, so that still needs to be done. And then yes, there's still engine work pending, and then QC. So... yeah. Progress is good, but still things to do.

what wich your project ? you stuk wich it "?

Status is basically the same as it was a month ago, unfortunately; there's some progress since then, of course, but nothing I can really put a number to:

• First of all, I'm still putting final touches on the script. I decided I needed to take one final look at more of it than I'd previously planned to, so things are taking longer than expected there. At this point, ironically, there's a bit less than 20% of it left to check over one more time, which is the same number I said last time... but FWIW I have looked at a bit more than 17% of it in that time. At this rate, I guess it's still a month of me putting finishing touches on it before it could even go to QC. I'll try to get faster at that, but from some of the things I've found and made better in that time, it's definitely been time well spent.
  • Secondly, as before, there's still engine work pending. I'm not sure if you've seen earlier screenshots of the game, but just inserting the text into the engine and leaving it with the default monospaced font leads to a very poor reading experience. Meanwhile, what we did for the trial release required manual line-breaking, which is untenable; the text styling in the engine makes line break calculation extremely difficult, and frankly, the result still looked pretty bad simply because of that same text styling. Replacing the engine's text display is the only real option to make the result readable, and that is a time-consuming endeavor to do right.
  • Lastly, there's still image editing to be done.

Anyway, rest assured we're not "stuck" per se, and we're certainly not dead. There's just not much news at this time, and I apologize for that.

19 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Status is basically the same as it was a month ago, unfortunately; there's some progress since then, of course, but nothing I can really put a number to:

• First of all, I'm still putting final touches on the script. I decided I needed to take one final look at more of it than I'd previously planned to, so things are taking longer than expected there. At this point, ironically, there's a bit less than 20% of it left to check over one more time, which is the same number I said last time... but FWIW I have looked at a bit more than 17% of it in that time. At this rate, I guess it's still a month of me putting finishing touches on it before it could even go to QC. I'll try to get faster at that, but from some of the things I've found and made better in that time, it's definitely been time well spent.
  • Secondly, as before, there's still engine work pending. I'm not sure if you've seen earlier screenshots of the game, but just inserting the text into the engine and leaving it with the default monospaced font leads to a very poor reading experience. Meanwhile, what we did for the trial release required manual line-breaking, which is untenable; the text styling in the engine makes line break calculation extremely difficult, and frankly, the result still looked pretty bad simply because of that same text styling. Replacing the engine's text display is the only real option to make the result readable, and that is a time-consuming endeavor to do right.
  • Lastly, there's still image editing to be done.

Anyway, rest assured we're not "stuck" per se, and we're certainly not dead. There's just not much news at this time, and I apologize for that.

thanks for your answer !

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/26/2018 at 10:41 PM, Fred the Barber said:

Script editing is done now, but unfortunately we're still blocked on the engine work and on image editing. After those, there's still QC to be done. So we're still a ways out, unfortunately :(

I guess first of all I should say congratulation for this to be finally getting picked up by Sekai there. And secondly to tell the truth you can be more secretive though in your wording there, especially in the part of 'we're still blocked on the engine work and on image editing' in which it's pretty much give away the fact that it would be officially localized - I mean there's should be no way that you'll going to be 'blocked' on the engine work and image editing in the first place, unless you're already sealed the deal and therefore one of the contract didn't allow you to do the engine work. From there, more or less I can already guess that it'll be going to be officially localized sooner or later. For the last word here, I just hope that the release wouldn't be butchered like Hoshimemo or Maitetsu.

Edited by littleshogun

Hi folks! As I can see a few of you already noticed, our project was picked up for official localization, with a target release date of Q4 2018, and got officially announced at the Denpasoft panel. As I've mentioned before elsewhere, I tend to think it's a good thing when fan translations get picked up for official release: it means more people end up seeing and enjoying the work, and it almost invariably means a higher-quality release (not to mention: more money for the folks who work hard on these things).

Our status is more or less unchanged from what I've said previously: engine work is still ongoing, image editing still needs to be done, and then final QC once everything's implemented. It's not a short game, and there are a few unknowns still, hence the current target date in spite of the script having been basically locked for a while, but I'm sure you're all going to be very happy with the release when it's out, and I can't wait for that day to come!

4 minutes ago, jetpack003 said:

Oh cool, so your translation did get picked up.

I was worried that it didn't and all that work would have gone to waste (I'm starting to dig fan-translations too). It's still nice to hear that your progress is going smoothly without any problems.

Keep up the good work!

Oh god, I would be in tears. Thankfully, yes, we're working together, and progress is progressing progressively!

Oh, I'm so happy for such achievements! Please, say, how it was? Sekai contacted to you directly or what? And when it happened?

So, how you reacted to that? I'm so interested, how VNs are usually licensed after fan-translations...

They decided to license only because you almost finished translation, and they just only QA it, or what?.. Thank you for the answer!

13 hours ago, Veshurik said:

Oh, I'm so happy for such achievements! Please, say, how it was? Sekai contacted to you directly or what? And when it happened?

So, how you reacted to that? I'm so interested, how VNs are usually licensed after fan-translations...

They decided to license only because you almost finished translation, and they just only QA it, or what?.. Thank you for the answer!

Sorry, I don't think these are generally questions I can answer in much detail due to contractual obligations, even in cases where I know the answer. I will say that I don't even know the answer to some of these questions: for instance, I have no idea if they had a desire to license this particular game already, regardless of the project, or if they were interested in it because of the possibility of working with an existing TL project. I will also say that we first approached them, not the other way around, a very long time ago now.

• 5 months later...

Hello! How is the work going on official level? 

I saw the image that it will be on sale in Q1 2019 on Denpasoft! Woohoo!

By the way, how many lines of text in that game and what the size of scenario? 

Can't wait ^_^

I'm so happy that it will be official release after fan-translation.

wzrlK3SI3Iw.jpg

Hey, thanks for your interest! Yep, release is on the way. I have no idea where that image is from, lol, but that is indeed the official logo and whatnot, and we are now targeting a Q1 2019 release instead of Q4 this year, like we were aiming for sometime back (sorry...). Things are going well, and I'm hoping we'll release in the very near future, but it's hard to promise anything more detailed than Q1, since there are still a few unknowns to be worked out.

Regarding the size of the game, it's ~700k characters on ~40k lines. It's a "medium"-length game (the bar for a "long" game is probably somewhere around a million characters), but it feels longer because of the game's structure. You'll see ~97% of the game, including all the heroine routes, in one single playthrough. Unlike a typical game of this length, the routes are all part of one continuous story, and that means no starting over and skipping through the common route! Well... at least until you want that last 3%, at which point you have to do that once to see the rest. But you absolutely should play that part!

Anyway, we're excited too! Here's hoping for a smooth release in the near future so everybody can enjoy this wonderful game :miyako:

• 5 months later...